Are Hardcore PC Gamers Using Windows 7 Over Vista?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Are Hardcore PC Gamers Using Windows 7 Over Vista?

Hardcore PC gamers may already be using Windows 7 more than Windows Vista, according to data gathered through digital gaming platform Steam.

Windows Vista always had a bit of trouble getting started. The subject of multiple delays back when it was still Windows Longhorn, Vista suffered from poor driver support and stringent system requirements at its 2006 release. While most of those problems were eventually fixed - I've been using Vista on my PC for going on two years and have had nary a problem - it still had stigma against it, and many gamers (and PC users) stuck with the tried-and-true Windows XP.

With word-of-mouth firmly on its side, though, Windows 7 has been garnering a decidedly different reception from its elder brother, with PC users flocking to it in droves. In fact, data pulled from Steam in January 2010 showed that more Steam users were using Windows 7 than were using Windows Vista (by a slim margin, but a margin nonetheless): 28.53% are on 7, with 27.91% on Vista. XP is still leading the pack with 42.78% of users, but that number is a far cry from the dominance it once had.

It's true that this is just data from Steam and not all PC gamers everywhere, but seeing as how Steam is the overwhelmingly dominant digital distribution platform - and many new PC games are requiring Steam in some form or another - it seems reasonable to look at the service as a fairly representative cross-section of the hardcore PC gaming community.

Given that Windows 7 only launched officially last July, the fact that it's achieved such market penetration in a relatively short period of time seems to be proof that the new OS is doing something right. Also of interest is the fact that with Windows 7, more users are using the 64-bit version than the 32-bit version - which appears to be a first for the Windows family.

I've thought about upgrading for a while, but I'm hesitant to do so because reinstalling everything would be a real *****. What about you? Have you upgraded yet?

(Ars Technica [http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/])

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Windows 7 is the XP-killer for me. I absolutely love it and it was worth re-installing everything.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
I upgraded day one and I love it. Windows 7 actually works!

My only complaint is the UAC but you get that in Vista so can't really ***** about that.

Quite surprised that many people still use XP though.

tyrannus007

Oct 12, 2009
Christ, I feel way behind the times. I've still got Vista 32-bit (Only got Vista because it came on my computer). I would upgrade to 7, but I hear it wipes everything off the drive. It sounds good, though. If I get pissed off enough, I'll upgrade.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I upgraded my Vista x64 to Win7 x64 as of the beta, then moved to RTM, now use the final.
There is absolutely no reason I can think of to stick with Vista now that 7 is out.

The reason I picked 64-bit is RAM: 32-bit can only address 4GB, total. So with a 500MB+ Videocard and other hardware, this quickly drops below 3GB of usable RAM. I now have 6GB so why waste more than half of it?
XP's 64-bit version was incomplete and painful to use, so for me Vista was the first 64-bit OS.
Another reason XP is no option: no DX10 support...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'll be upgrading from Vista in the not-too-distant future. Who can say no to better performance?

I'm a little bit pissed that I bought Vista (and a card) for DX10, only to have no one pay attention to it in the end.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
New PC, assembled her myself, directX 11 capable videocard, so got Windows 7 too.
Went 64-bit too because I went for 8GB RAM, no problems with any of my games.

Haven't regretted the decision once, although some light tweaking was needed to make the most of he SSD used for the OS. Mainly to shift certain temporary folders away from the fairly small drive itself.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Sir Ollie said:

My only complaint is the UAC but you get that in Vista so can't really ***** about that.
You switched it off or left it going for security? I suppose it's no worse than having an over-protective firewall.

Me too. I suppose people will keep using it as long as it is still supported. Once the combined vista/7 usage goes over 60% I imagine they'll drop it.

tyrannus007 said:
Christ, I feel way behind the times. I've still got Vista 32-bit (Only got Vista because it came on my computer). I would upgrade to 7, but I hear it wipes everything off the drive. It sounds good, though. If I get pissed off enough, I'll upgrade.
It does. In order to change operating system you need to reformat your hard drive(s). This is what wipes all the data. I did hear somewhere though that you can get upgrade editions that save some of your data, though. Apparently they're cheaper too. You just need to have the same type (32 or 64 bit), and version (Home premium, Basic etc...) as the version of 7 you're upgrading to. So Vista Home premium 32-bit can upgrade to 7 Home Premium 32-bit, but not 64 bit or say windows 7 Professional.

Although that might just be confusion. Why is it so hard to get an OEM copy?!

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Had some issues running games on my desktop with Vista. Texture bugs, random crashes, sound glitches... Decided to upgrade to 7 to see if that would fix the issues, and it did. And then some. Performance went up, noise went down and games started running perfectly. So far had no issues whatsoever with it. Takes a while to get used to though with the new taskbar, but once you get the hang of it it's actually quite nice to have, especially if you're like me with loads of windows open at all times.

Not suprised it's overtaking Vista, since Vista really was crap for PC gaming.

Also, while I had to wipe my harddrive clean to install it since I got a different language, I'm fairly sure you can "upgrade" to 7 without losing any files. Not sure if that works for XP though, so don't take my word on it.

Unrelated to gaming, but a lot of my other programs work better, too. Had some issues with bad WLAN signal on Vista, but once I upgraded that too started working perfectly.

So in case it wasn't clear I really like 7.

Hawk of the Plain

Jul 8, 2009
When I upgraded from vista home premium 64-bit to it's 7 counter-part, it was able to directly update, so I didn't have to re-install anything. So maybe you could do the same.
On a related note, I have found 7 to be far superior to vista for gaming, pretty much everything from modern warfare 2 and TF2 to supreme commander and dawn of war 2 are running better for me on 7.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Sir Ollie said:

You can turn it off you know...

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
Sir Ollie said:

You switched it off or left it going for security? I suppose it's no worse than having an over-protective firewall.

Me too. I suppose people will keep using it as long as it is still supported. Once the combined vista/7 usage goes over 60% I imagine they'll drop it.

tyrannus007 said:
It does. In order to change operating system you need to reformat your hard drive(s). This is what wipes all the data. I did hear somewhere though that you can get upgrade editions that save some of your data, though. Apparently they're cheaper too. You just need to have the same type (32 or 64 bit), and version (Home premium, Basic etc...) as the version of 7 you're upgrading to. So Vista Home premium 32-bit can upgrade to 7 Home Premium 32-bit, but not 64 bit or say windows 7 Professional.

Although that might just be confusion. Why is it so hard to get an OEM copy?!
Basically using an upgrade installation all your personal data is quite safe. It merely replaces the windows folder, no reformat needed. It even keeps your current settings as they are. Just make some backups in case something goes wrong.

A reformat and then a blank install is usually better as it gets rid of all the mess in the registry and who knows where else, but using an upgrade from Vista to 7 does not reformat the drive unless you tell it to do so.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i too have been seriously thinking about upgrading from 64 vista to 64 7, but god, i really dont want to reinstall everything, it would take days.

but, its nice to see that the majority of gamers aren't as lazy as i (im not counting the Xp users because odds are that they haven't bought a game or newspaper in the last 5 years).

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Upgraded because Vista was killing my computer. Haven't encountered a single problem since W7 was installed

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
I use Windows 7. Vista was a disaster. Someone once told me that approx. every 2nd Windows is bad. They were right (excluding 3.11 and 2000 since 2000~=NT++)
Excluded: 3.xx/2.xx/1.01
Good: NT
Bad: 95
Good: 98
Excluded: 2000
Bad: ME
Good: XP
Bad: Vista
Good: 7

Sir Ollie said:

Turn it down a notch. There are 4 levels of UAC in Windows 7, the lowest one is ok.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I'm still with XP, mostly because I don't like the idea of installing everything again. And I have some old games, which I don't think will work with 7.