Are Men Allowed To Be Offended?

Apr 24, 2008
The Wooster said:
As for your main question, can men get offended? Of course they can, they're very good at it. In my experience heterosexual white males are the easiest group to offend.
That's funny. My experience suggests the complete opposite. Do we cancel each other out or do we need to arrange for some kind of a showdown? This here website ain't big enough for the both of us.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
BNguyen said:
I actually think that that line was more from Homer Simpson - and I think it was "oh people can use statistics to prove anything Kent, 40% of all people know that"
I mean, I could be wrong about it being on Family Guy but I definitely heard it on the Simpsons
To throw out a correction here, if you actually listen, he says Forfty percent :p (that episode was from the Season 5 episode Homer the Vigilante. Here's the clip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmDIP3Fn2Y

Anyway on topic...Yes, I think men are allowed to be offended. Why shouldn't they be? A boss calling her employees by what genitalia they have is completely unacceptable behavior, regardless of the gender of either party.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I don't get discriminated against that much (straight white male) except for the occasional bullshit when people find out I'm an atheist, but that's hardly been a serious problem in my life.

That being said, this isn't a question of gender equality, it's a dick boss. Being offended, or at the very least irritated, by being referred to consistently as "penis" isn't something that needs to be "mansplained" or whatever. That would piss me off too, because it's just a plain old insult, not a slur. Just like if my boss consistently referred to everyone in the office as "asshole", "dickhead", "moron", or what have you, you can bet I'd complain. You don't need to be a "protected class" to feel like you're being harassed by a rude boss.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Kevin Puszert said:
God, this question is such trollbait.

Your only going to get two kinds of responses from this thread, and both of them are going to be inflammatory.

Thanks for dragging us all through the muck.
actually, this forum has been quite civil so far, 167 posts prior to yours would show you that

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I get discriminated against a shitload, partly because I'm a man, but mostly because I have a disability.
And yes, men are allowed to be offended.

What I see from most of these women(and men) whine about female oriented sexism in games threads(completely legit btw) is that men(and women it seems) seem to forget that we have grown up with the whole men don't complain mentality.
Which is a bit funny, since we complain and complain the moment the women does.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this, but I'm going to show my stance on this.
I don't give one flying fuck about sexism in games, because I play games I like and not games I don't like.
Everyone keeps whining about scantily clad women and power fantasy, which I have problems understanding because I don't really play those games, exactly because of that.

Complaining on forums does fuck all when it comes to the problem.
Complain to the companies, make games yourself, start a fund raiser for making games that are more gender equal.
Do something with it. I do, I don't play sexist games. I don't play power fantasy games and I would love to see more female protagonists as they're generally more interesting than men.

This might be a bit contradictory, please point out anything wrong as I'm not a native English speaker and occasionally seem to word myself weirdly.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Power Vs Sexual Fantasies
I'm genuinely surprised by how people are classifying sexuality within this discussion as either a binary or monolithic system separated by sex/gender. More precisely, how they seem to be equating male and female sexuality, at least stereotypically, as functioning the same way with a singular visual trigger.

I find it deliciously ironic when the usual point of the discussion is to point out potentially damaging stereotypes and the desire for outside the box thinking. I also find it intriguing how many people seem utterly incapable of seeing how they are responsible for externally placing ideas of sexuality onto others (which disregards individual interpretations of others and more importantly, the opinion of the one in question).

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
Yes men are allowed to be offended, in fact the men in the mentioned case should ignore their CEO and take the case to court. I am a woman and this chick needs to be disciplined.

Luciella

May 3, 2011
The escapist forums:
Where white men, with all the advantages and all the benefits society can offer; feel at the bottom of the society's ladder and like to pick straws of isolated cases compared to everyday/everywhere cases and shout: OMG DOUBLE STANDARDS!!! See? SEEEEEEEE? ALL Women are feminazi devils, the worst sexist aliens with two row teeth vaginas that will eat my manhood.

Instead TRY being normal-honorable gamers and take the huge opportunities that your sex, skin color and race offer you and PLEASE stop complaining.
Making EVERY week a topic about HOW "bad" you white gamer males have it (which you don't, compared to he rest of humanity), wont change things. It will make you guys bitter in front of women and make women avoid you altogether.

Just be happy with what you have, dammit.

Kevin Puszert

Sep 22, 2012
BNguyen said:
Kevin Puszert said:

Your only going to get two kinds of responses from this thread, and both of them are going to be inflammatory.

actually, this forum has been quite civil so far, 167 posts prior to yours would show you that
I suppose its civil in the sense that discussing the high costs of owning and maintaining a plantation in front of your slaves is civil.

Perhaps if I were to ask similar questions in similar context...

"Should women have the right to vote?"
"Should gays be allowed in the military?"

Either of those questions would have gotten me banned. But 167 posts later, here we are...

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Kevin Puszert said:
BNguyen said:
Kevin Puszert said:

I suppose its civil in the sense that discussing the high costs of owning and maintaining a plantation in front of your slaves is civil.

Perhaps if I were to ask similar questions in similar context...

"Should women have the right to vote?"
"Should gays be allowed in the military?"

Either of those questions would have gotten me banned. But 167 posts later, here we are...
it seems that you're just asking for this thread to go down in flames
I'm sorry but it feels as though you are trying to be a troll just for the sake of this thread.
we'll thank you to stop here

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
I'm losing my mind reading some of the posts in this thread painting straight white guys as the poor oppressed underclass of society. If you really believe this, take a hard look around you. Oh, and can we please stop using that awful Stephen Fry quote out of context?

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
I see it this way: Offense is a choice, not a right. Nobody's got the RIGHT to be offended, but they can elect to be offended by something.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Gamer_152 said:
I'm losing my mind reading some of the posts in this thread painting straight white guys as the poor oppressed underclass of society. If you really believe this, take a hard look around you. Oh, and can we please stop using that awful Stephen Fry quote out of context?
First, I want to agree with you about the Stephen Fry quote. Even though, I agree with the quote. It isn't relevant to this issue.

Just because men have a complaint, issue, or offense regarding gender equality. It doesn't make them a victim. They are simply pointing out something that has gone unrecognized. However, the victimhood mentality that always come up in debates about gender equality is one of the biggest obstacle in having productive discussions. When you view your position on gender equality (or any other social/political issues) as a helpless baby who is crying in pain. How can anyone dare to punch it in the face? (That was how Movie Bob described it in a blog about South Park.) Of course, you are going to think the other person debating you on the issue is a horrible person. We shouldn't be that precious about our political views. After all been said and done, it's just an opinion. I don't claim to know everything. I engage in debates to learn more about the issue. Unfortunately, not everybody feel the same way. So, most of the time, it turns into a pissing contest. In which, nobody wins and everybody is even more upset with the other person who has the different opinion.

FLSH_BNG

May 27, 2008
Why are we trying to justify our answers to the question?

Yes, men are allowed to be offended; plain and simple. Why wouldn't they be?

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Getting offended isn't a very masculine thing to do. Leave getting offended to those emotional, whiny types of people who have it down to a science. (Not an art though because there's nothing creative about it!)

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Can't say I'd be offended by someone calling me "penis". It isn't really insulting on a personal level is it? I mean roughly 50% of the population could be referred to in such a way. It's hardly going to hurt my feelings.

I'd have just called her "vagina". See how she likes them apples.

Sueing over this is ridiculous and although I haven't checked my assumption is this is in the USA.

To answer the question though, yes men are allowed to be offended but to be offended by this is pretty fucking shocking.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
KissingSunlight said:
I saw this report in the news, female CEO of Archie Comics is being sued by her male employees for repeatedly calling them "Penis". The CEO dismissed the seriousness of the lawsuit by saying, "White men are not a protected class."

It got me to thinking. It seems like everytime someone brings up a complaint regarding gender. He get shouted down. The best example that occurs on this website is when men bring up that male videogame characters who match the same description as the female videogame character that some people are complaining about as sexist. They get womansplained that those characters are a male power fantasy. (By the way, I am just being cheeky with the obnoxious term "mansplaining". No need to get upset by that.)

I can't think of one thing that men can complain about. (Without being about race, religion, sexuality, etc.) That people will side with men and say, "Hey! That is a serious problem we should address."

Are men allowed to be offended?
Ok firstly, women are correct with the male power fantasy angle, but feminists do have the habit of wanting more then men get. I'll let women have what they want when society equates me hitting a women in the face for pulling shit to me punching a guy in the face for doing the same thing. Feminists only want the bonuses of equality and complain when the bad parts rear their head.

So yes, its colossal bullshit that the court case failed when she'd probably win the same case if they started calling her only by the title of vagina.
that male power fantasy thing is all subjective - I don't feel as though a person can just explain away a male character's looks onto my being a male as a "power fantasy"
although men have more of a wide range of appearances in gaming, nearly if not all are muscular above the average man - some more able to be seen than others due to clothing hiding their physical forms, but like I said in an earlier post about Street Fighter - all of the men are above average in terms of muscular mass - large pecs, bulky arms and legs, etc.
about the only characters I've seen that would not fall into "power fantasy" were Little Nemo and Lester the Unlikely wherein Nemo is a young boy and Lester is a thin nerd

in the spirit of being a gamer, I'd like to know what a female power fantasy character would look like - not hidden beneath clothes so as to be able to judge muscle mass in regards to a male counterpart

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
miketehmage said:
Can't say I'd be offended by someone calling me "penis". It isn't really insulting on a personal level is it? I mean roughly 50% of the population could be referred to in such a way. It's hardly going to hurt my feelings.

I'd have just called her "vagina". See how she likes them apples.

Sueing over this is ridiculous and although I haven't checked my assumption is this is in the USA.

To answer the question though, yes men are allowed to be offended but to be offended by this is pretty fucking shocking.
I think the reason behind they're getting offended over this is their viewpoint in how their CEO sees them - not as individuals with thinking minds and emotions specific to each person, but by a single part of their physical anatomy - like nothing else matters in their existence to her except by what distinguishes them from her - like the CEO is looking down on them for what they have - thinking of Valerie Solanas and her views regarding males. Of course this view is merely speculation and in no way is meant to replace the actual feelings of the men involved in this situation.