Are men finished? Will our new female overlords be kind?

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Despite a feminist persistence that women are still somehow subjugated in America, it's clear that even if you think this - women are catching up. And fast. More women attend college now than men, the wage gap is either closing or completely nonexistent if you account for things like women being free to stay home and raise children while it is still culturally unacceptable for men to do so (or to take time off from work to help raise a child) - etc.

Slate magazine is doing an interesting online debate on this:

http://www.slate.com/id/2303488/

Please *don't* reply to the thread with a knee jerk response until you read the link to understand my point for posting this. Thank you in advance. (The last time I tried posting a link 75% of the people couldn't be bothered to click on it, read it, and understand what the heck I was talking about before responding full of outrage and bluster.)

Ahem.

Anyway, Slate is hosting an online debate and while I don't expect everyone here to partake, it's an interesting theory. Some choice tidbits from the article:

Women now earn the majority of college degrees. Men play video games. Women thrive in information-age jobs. Men go to prison. Women hold families together. Men watch football. On Tuesday, Sept. 20, the Slate/Intelligence Squared U.S. live debate series will ask and answer a fundamental question about modern society: Are men finished?

And I think for a long time the question has been... are they? More and more people, in fact, for the first time ever - a majority of people - in the U.S. have stated that they would prefer a female child to a male child for their own family. Schools seem set up to teach to girls, not boys. (Boys are medicated with ADHD medication, apparently a disease that "afflicts" 9% of the boys in America but only 1/50th of that in Japan - must be something in the U.S. water supply.)

If you're interested in Slate's debate, this is another blurb:

The debate proposition is "men are finished." What does that actually mean? A modern, post-industrial economy that seems better suited to women than men has led many experts to wonder if men are being permanently left behind.

So is that how the future will be? Are men finished?

Will our new female overlords be kind? ;)

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
I'm no good at debates, 'cause i like to cut right to the point. To wit: as long as there are spiders to kill and oil to be changed, men will always have a place in the world.

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
Does this mean Snoo Snoo time?

More OT, Less Offensive: I don't think that men are finished. Just think about having someone else to our dirty work for a bit before society collapses and then we swoop in and save the day. To an extent of course.

Hunter15

Jan 12, 2011
im not gonna let them turn me into a chick... until i take out at least 55% of their armed forces that come for me...then i give up and say good buy to my "little buddy"

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
The Gnome King said:
Despite a feminist persistence that women are still somehow subjugated in America, it's clear that even if you think this - women are catching up. And fast. More women attend college now than men, the wage gap is either closing or completely nonexistent if you account for things like women being free to stay home and raise children while it is still culturally unacceptable for men to do so (or to take time off from work to help raise a child) - etc.

Please *don't* reply to the thread with a knee jerk response until you read the link to understand my point for posting this. Thank you in advance. (The last time I tried posting a link 75% of the people couldn't be bothered to click on it, read it, and understand what the heck I was talking about before responding full of outrage and bluster.)

Ahem.

Anyway, Slate is hosting an online debate and while I don't expect everyone here to partake, it's an interesting theory. Some choice tidbits from the article:

Women now earn the majority of college degrees. Men play video games. Women thrive in information-age jobs. Men go to prison. Women hold families together. Men watch football. On Tuesday, Sept. 20, the Slate/Intelligence Squared U.S. live debate series will ask and answer a fundamental question about modern society: Are men finished?

And I think for a long time the question has been... are they? More and more people, in fact, for the first time ever - a majority of people - in the U.S. have stated that they would prefer a female child to a male child for their own family. Schools seem set up to teach to girls, not boys. (Boys are medicated with ADHD medication, apparently a disease that "afflicts" 9% of the boys in America but only 1/50th of that in Japan - must be something in the U.S. water supply.)

The debate proposition is "men are finished." What does that actually mean? A modern, post-industrial economy that seems better suited to women than men has led many experts to wonder if men are being permanently left behind.

Mmm, I wonder how that would be. The first society that comes to mind when we are talking about women running things is Drow society.

Well, fuck.

OT: No, I don't think they are.

EDIT: Please excuse the bad joke.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I don't get this question. 'Are men finished?' It seems like they think that men are going to be subjugated next, and have all thier rights taken away. Just because women are 'catching up' and not being treated as the 'weaker sex'.

And it's absolutely fine for men to take paternity leave. I know of a few people who alternated maternity and paternity leave to spend the maximum amount of time with children.

Though this could just be personal bias showing through and the fact that I live in the UK.

Jun 11, 2008
The Gnome King said:

Ahem.

I will read the article fully later but I just want to say from quotes the article seems really sexist and takes stereotypical views of men and women. The reason school systems at least ones that are largely based on 1 big test tend to favour women is that they sometimes shit themselves over it and do an insane amount of work while men are a lot more relaxed about the whole thing. Although that is just from personal perspective.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
CM156 said:
The Gnome King said:
Mmm, I wonder how that would be. The only fictional society that is really run by women (that I can think of at the moment) is Drow society.

Well, fuck.

OT: No, I don't think they are.

EDIT: Please excuse the bad joke.
Is it bad of me that I chuckled a bit?

OT: God I hope not. BTW, I'm a girl so I can say that, hooray for double standards! <---sarcasm

Seriously, no, I don't think so. Why would they? If anything both sexes are getting closer to a middle ground, so no.

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Well that article just filled me with rage.

No, men aren't finished, and I have serious doubts about the accuracy of the claims made in the article.

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
i don't really think its anything to worry about if girls do take over there probably not going to kill all the men to do it. you will be peacefully weeded out (or you can become girly maybe they'll let you stay)

Red Scharlach

Nov 5, 2010
Neo Kojiro said:
... To wit: as long as there are spiders to kill and oil to be changed, men will always have a place in the world.
But the oil is running out and soon the environment with all its little spiders is dead. What are we going to do then?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I don't think myself eith INferior or SUPerior to women.

I don't think we're finished, but let's say that what the article say really is true.
If that's the case then it seems to me like men think our female overlords will be kind since we apparently don't give a fuck anymore and just let them take over.

Personally i don't mind it. If a woman wants the problems, responsibility and general stress that comes with being an authority then i say go ahead, 'cause i sure don't want it.

Feb 13, 2008
Slate makes Gawker look upperclass.

Tabloid nerd baiting.

Let's just run some basic facts:

Men killed in the last wars vs. Women killed in the last wars. > 100/1

Chance of a child being born male/female - allegedly: 50/50

Population of Men vs. population of women: 49%/51% with women having 4 extra years on their life span.

If there was ANY chance of men being finished, then the two World Wars would have eliminated us. Then you count in the fact that most of the resources in the world are held by men. Then you count in that women are still treated as second class citizens in some parts of the world.

Nope.

If women were the wonderful, delectable angels that we sometimes think they are - why would they flock in droves to watch Twilight?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
vault69 said:
Does this mean Snoo Snoo time?
Oh no, they'll make that the new form of capital punishment!

dancinginfernal said:
I for one welcome our new female overlords.
I can think of worse overlords. So yeah, I'm alright with this provided I can rise above the slave rank :D

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The answer to both questions is no. Considering the language of the article and the OP, I have trouble imagining how this could turn into something that's not utterly misguided, and something tells me at no point in the debate would come up just how the supposed ways men are being "subjugated" are very much feminist issues, as well.

Particularly men being held back from traditionally "feminine" pursuits due to supposedly impinging on their worth (implication: those pursuits are inherently lesser), while women are encouraged to drop such and pursue paths traditionally dominated by men exclusively (implication: women can be easily equal to men...they just have to act like them). The cultural issue one would hope would be at hand is more likely to get buried under stereotypes and empty rhetoric.

CM156 said:
Mmm, I wonder how that would be. The only fictional society that is really run by women (that I can think of at the moment) is Drow society.

Well, fuck.
Oh, come on, we're not that bad!

...at least, those of us who've broken away from the Spider *****.

Eilistraee kyorl d'jal.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Take me, ladies, I'm yours! :D

As long as this doesn't turn into the second half of "The Perils of Gwendolyn." (look it up)

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
No. We're not. What little sexism there is in developed nations will cease, equality will become more apparent else-where. No gender will dominate the other completely. For, well, ages men have dominated women, just because this injustice is being fixed, doesn't mean that women will dominate men. It will stop at full equality, because, really, how could it not? Sexism of woman became an issue because women gained equal rights, unless the equal rights of men are literaly taken away, there will not be 'female overlords' as you state.

Assuming we get to a point where a superpower has all female leaders, do you really expect those leaders to throw half their country under the bus because they are male? After ever battle humanity has had to get equality to it's current state? Differing religions, racism, sexism, and more recently, gay rights movements, do you really expect something of that caliber to happen again at all? To happen SOON? If anything even CLOSE to this happens, it won't happen overnight.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
NeutralDrow said:
The answer to both questions is no. Considering the language of the article and the OP, I have trouble imagining how this could turn into something that's not utterly misguided, and something tells me at no point in the debate would come up just how the supposed ways men are being "subjugated" are very much feminist issues, as well.

Particularly men being held back from traditionally "feminine" pursuits due to supposedly impinging on their worth (implication: those pursuits are inherently lesser), while women are encouraged to drop such and pursue paths traditionally dominated by men exclusively (implication: women can be easily equal to men...they just have to act like them). The cultural issue one would hope would be at hand is more likely to get buried under stereotypes and empty rhetoric.

CM156 said:

Well, fuck.
Oh, come on, we're not that bad!

...at least, those of us who've broken away from the Spider *****.

Eilistraee kyorl d'jal.
Harl xuil l' orbb elg'caress! Verve dro qu'ellar Barri?und!

In all honesty, I've always found Eilistraee to be a rather odd deity. At least in the forgotten realms setting.