Are MW3 fans...unstable?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
Bobic said:
Wow, 2 incidents out of the literally millions of people that must have gone out to buy it. Yes, this proves Cod attracts nutjobs.
The seventh Harry Potter book sold 15 million copies in the first 24 hours. That's about double what MW3 is expected to sell. Yet I recall NO incidents of this nature surrounding that release.

THAT'S what I'm wondering about.
i was wondering the same thing, Halo releases dont do this, skyrim probably wont, arkahm city didn't, niether did battlefield 3.

most are going to shrugg this off, but seriously, something is askew here.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
Bobic said:
Wow, 2 incidents out of the literally millions of people that must have gone out to buy it. Yes, this proves Cod attracts nutjobs.
The seventh Harry Potter book sold 15 million copies in the first 24 hours. That's about double what MW3 is expected to sell. Yet I recall NO incidents of this nature surrounding that release.

Actually i seem to remember at the time a truckload of the books were also stolen about a week before release, also in france as it happens. Now, these two facts are linked as well: are you going to suggest that frenchmen are all struggling with deep suppressed inclinations towards hijacking at gunpoint which become too severe to resist when highly anticipated products get released?

I thought not.

Don't allow your preconceptions to narrow your vision: there will always be frustrated and high strung individuals who are liable to snap if things don't go their way. And people are murdered all around the world on a regular basis for so much less than a video game.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
TLS14 said:
Your mentioning Muslim extremists prompts me to ask the community a very important question.

Hey Escapists, you're slowly turning into Fox News with your crazy generalizations. How do you feel about that?
Oh I knew that for quite some time. Make controversial thread or thread with controversial title, get crazy response, win the page for the day.

Enraged response is still a response right? Discussion isn't important, getting replies is.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
There are two points to this issue. First point is that there are nutcases in every fanbase, no exceptions. The second point though is that while each fanbase has their share of robbers, psychos, 85 year old women in wheelchairs who scream profanities at all the little children, etc., the crimes that those people commit don't seem to be related to the media that they are a fanbase of. For example, there may be someone who is a huge Mario fan who goes out and lights houses on fire or steals cars, but you never here anything in the news of a Mario fan going to rob someone just cause they HAD to play Super Mario World 27.

So my theory is this: the fanbase is no more unstable than any other fanbase out there. However, it seems that the instability of said people ends up targeting the games themselves instead of random crimes. Maybe because of marketing, maybe because they need to make sure they get good so they don't get heckled by the thousands of 7-12 year old kids who play the game, or maybe it's just because the CoD violence incites violence within them, I have no way of knowing. There is a statistic here and something about all this is throwing me a disturbance in the Force though, but whether this continues, improves, or nosedives has yet to be seen.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I'll stab you moth********!!![/kidding]

MW3 fans aren't unstable, some unstable kids/guys happen to be MW3 fans ;)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Call of Duty is huge so it's natural to assume it's going to have a few more nutjobs than your average game, that said the normal-to-nutter ratio is probably the same as it would be for any other game.

And personally, I doubt the truck hijack really had anything to do with the game, the contents were worth loads and the truck wasn't going to be well-guarded so they went for that instead of a higher risk target.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
remnant_phoenix said:
Bobic said:

Yeah, but HP involves wands and COD involves guns. Worst you can do with a wand in the real world is put someone's eye out.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
You frequent a game site that reports it. I assume you do not frequent sites for books, etc. People were hurt over the latest harry potter and people have been hurt over star wars.

Or, to apply your argument to something else.

Are all gun owners liable to shoot people?
Are all car owners liable to run people over?
Are all Christians nutjobs?
Are all muslims nutjobs?
Are all game players crazy?
Do the people who play GTA all think they can live like that?
Do all shooter fans play a game and pick up a gun because its cool?

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:
Bobic said:

Gamers in general are unstable. Seriously it is not just the Cod fans, fans of every big name shooter, RPG, etc out there has a group of crazies that take things way to far.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The only cases of modern warfare aggression ive encounted personally is actually playing the game.

Its recently come as news to me that I now have sex with my own father, im now homosexual and I also now molest children thanks to performing certain actions in a video game.

MW encourages murderous psychos, no.
MW encourages dumbass behaviour, yes in my experience.

silenticecream

Nov 3, 2011
Simply given the games core mechanics and subject matter I would suggest that its gonna attract more than its fair share of sociopaths. But this tiny minority are unlikely to have been "turned" by the game. Extremely unlikely. The opening post kinda read like an O'Reilly-esque piece of investigative journalism.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
For the glory of shooting games they devout their life to kill people on the streets that have enough money to buy the game because it's awesome. ***** being stable; it ruins the whole fact that if we are sane we don't have the creativity to kill people in the real world and imaginative world of shooting games. If you can't do it real life what's the chance that you would do it in a videogame?

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Think of it this way: COD attracts EVERYONE. Not everyone, obviously, but an enormous amount of people. It's only probability we hear about nutjobs.

StoneCutter

Dec 29, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
First, there were the armed hijackers in France who stole truckloads of MW3.
Pretty sure that turned out to be fake.

And no, I don't think we can judge many based on the actions of a few.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Brandon Cecil said:
no they are just "mature gamer's" as in the pic seen below

What the fuck is Tristian doing with a Call of Duty 360? His ass is so grounded when I get home! And I am telling Tyler's parents about this! Authorities should be notified!

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Right - when you consider that literally millions of people have gone to buy this game, you base your opinion of these people on 3 isolated incidents? 4 people out of millions?

Way to go.

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
Very well put together thread. Support for your opinion with links. That's unheard of. And yes, Cod fans are nuts. Complete agreement

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
In my Current World Problem class, we actually discussed a guy who held up a GameStop with his inhaler because they didn't have his pre-order on time. I don't even seen the appeal to the series but apparently people love it themselves. I like a good FPS but because people always act like dicks when I play any form of COD or Modern Warfare, they lost their appeal to me. I am social gamer and if I get treated like shit when I go online, I am not going to play the game.