Are official 360 controllers just poor quality?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So...I'm pondering getting a new 360 controller for my Xbox, because the wear on my current one is annoying me during GTA V. But then I got to thinking, I've had a total of two PS3 controllers. One came with my old console, and one came with my new. I've barely used the second one because the first one is still working great, years later. It even suffered through water damage from a fire.

My 360 controller? This one is less than a year old. I bought a new 360 last year because my old one was dying (same water damage from fire), and it's already showing signs of wear.

My afterglow controllers, wired ones I use for my PC, have lasted a long time. The first one died after more than six years and water damage. The second one's still kicking.

I bring up these other controllers to point out it's not an issue of "I take care of my stuff," which is a frequent response, because I do normally take care of my stuff. Even factoring in a fire that was beyond my control, should new, post-fire equipment be dying faster? I mean, I still have my original Wavebirds. But even if I didn't take care of my stuff, they would be subject to equal abuse. I use my 360 controller slightly more than my PS3 one, but nothing that would justify my current trend of needing a new controller or two every year while my PS3 one still works.

If I didn't need wireless for my 360 (so I can keep it well-ventilated without risking pulling it down or some such), I'd just use my Afterglow pads, because they seem to last much longer.

But that's why I'm asking. Is this just my experience? Am I unlucky? Or are the official 360 controllers just kind of crappy?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I haven't had a lot of experience with Sony's controllers, as my PS2 died on me and I never owned a PS3, but they might just be of higher quality. Nintendo's controllers, from my experience, only have about a two year lifespan at most before things such as loose analog sticks begin to harm your experience, and that sounds about as long as your 360 controllers are lasting. Ultimately, it might not be so much that official 360 controllers are of low quality, as they seem pretty standard when compared to Nintendo. It might just be that the PS3 controllers are just unusually high quality, or you just got a very good one.

Again, I can't really comment on how good the PS3 controllers are from experience, just on what you've said.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
My 360 controllers have needed to be replaced pretty much yearly. Its part of the reason for my switch to Sony for this coming generation.

After a few months of use, the left analog stick will start to become "off-center", where in the center idle slightly pulls to the left?always the left. This makes driving games or anything where you purposefully idle the left stick, impossible.

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
I've had 1 xbox 360 controller for 6 years and it still works for me. I'd say the quality is pretty good.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
My PS3 controller still works like new and aside from the analog sticks rubbing down (mostly from drawing circles in Okami, fighting games and Metal Gear Rising). I still have PS1 and 2 controllers that work perfectly through years of use. On my 360 the buttons are already sticky and unresponsive while the shoulder buttons and d-pad feel like they're made out of cheap squeaky plastic.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Weird, my 360 controller is like 5 years old and still works great.

Apr 5, 2008
I don't know about the controllers, as none of mine have died on me, but the official rechargeable battery packs are terrible. They frequently die and outright refuse to charge. I've tried all the paperclip tricks described online in years past but to little avail. It's like a £10/£20 annual tax in many ways.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I have my original controller for my PS3 and it still works like a charm. Same with my Wiimotes actually, as I've had those ones since the console's launch.
360 controllers I've had to replace about 2, which is more than I can say for my other controllers really, but they aren't the worst quality around.

However, the Xbox wired headsets are pieces of crap and should not be bought, believe me I've gone through at least 3 of them.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
My 360 controller lasted even longer than my first 360, which was about 4 years. Then again, I didn't use it as much as many other gamers, especially now that I've gotten back into PC gaming.

But I can understand if there are people who's controllers break quickly, especially if you spend much of your time getting insulted by 13-year-olds over the headset while blasting them to kingdom come.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
The sticks wear out on my 360 controllers very quickly and it's incredibly frustrating. Add to that the cost of buying batteries for it all the time, and keeping yourself in working 360 controllers becomes expensive.

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
Both my 360 controllers from release still work. One hasn't seen much use but my wired one has been used extensively for PC and xbox both. Still works perfectly. Little dirty, but that's all.

Zenn3k said:
After a few months of use, the left analog stick will start to become "off-center", where in the center idle slightly pulls to the left?always the left. This makes driving games or anything where you purposefully idle the left stick, impossible.
I've never had this happen within a few months of use of any official game pad i've owned, but it's been common throughout my life. Every pad with an analog sticks that has died on me has died because of the analog sticks clicking out of alignment or whatever happens when they break. That's not specific to 360 controllers at all, it's gotta be one of highest causes of controller death in the world, right up there with angry nerdrage. Everyone remembers getting stuck with the shitty pad with the fucked up analog sticks when they were younger, surely.

Honestly i can't help but feel you guys just got unlucky with these pads breaking within a year. Either that or you're just doing something to them you needn't be.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
My Xbox 360 controller has lasted about 4 years, the one I used when I got the Xbox 360 (6 years ago) still works, just the left analog stick sometimes sticks and it's partially worn.

360 controllers are expensive over time though with the battery life on it. My chargers for them just die too quickly to be of any use.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
hmm....my first 360 controller lasted....a month before I had to get it replaced. Credit given where credit is due though, Microsoft customer support is pretty painless (except it sounds like im going into a drive-through) so I got a new one free.

My PS3 controller just died. Like one moment it was working fine and then kaput! dead. Probably the power supply. So yea, ill need to get a new one of those (lasted 4 years).

Meanwhile my PS2 controllers still work and have gotten a hell of a lot more wear than the 360 or PS3 controllers combined...

Oct 2, 2012
I've only ever had to replace one 360 controller and that was because I threw it very hard, very often.

I've had to replace many PS3 controllers though.
Way too many. I find them to be too fragile and am hoping that the PS4 controllers are sturdier.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
I still have the wired controller I got with my launch day unit, and it still works.

I think I've been through about 8 wireless ones though.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
The only problem I've had with 360 controllers are sticky analog sticks, which is rather uncommon, or frayed wires on wired controllers, which happens all the fucking time.

Seriously, it's not like wired controllers are the vestiges of some ancient craftsmanship. We were using wires as recently as the last generation. Why are the wired controllers so shitty?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
My friend pointed something out to me not too long ago and I believe it's true now. The left bumper seems to ALWAYS be the first thing to go. Something's screwing up when it's making contact or tries to. My friend had to replace 1 or 2 controllers because of this and now one of my controllers is showing signs of this as well.

Besides that, the only other complaint that I have is the analog sticks losing a little of their stiffness after a while when you move them in any direction.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Ryotknife said:
hmm....my first 360 controller lasted....a month before I had to get it replaced. Credit given where credit is due though, Microsoft customer support is pretty painless (except it sounds like im going into a drive-through) so I got a new one free.

My PS3 controller just died. Like one moment it was working fine and then kaput! dead. Probably the power supply. So yea, ill need to get a new one of those (lasted 4 years).

Meanwhile my PS2 controllers still work and have gotten a hell of a lot more wear than the 360 or PS3 controllers combined...
I had that happen to me. It doesn't charge right? Try plugging it into a pc, it started charging for me when I did that.

I have both an Xbox and a ps3 and the only controller that ever broke is my ps3 one. The right analogue stick spins around and is annoying. Though I have had a ps3 for much longer than my xbox.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
My one works perfectly fine even after around 3 years. Shit, the 360 controller is probably my favourite controller of all time.