Are older games better? Or is that just the Nostalgia talking?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Final Fantasy 7 is possibly the most enjoyable game I have ever played. Also Suikoden (yes the first one, no I am not a grandma -.-) is a bloody amazing game with great gameplay and involving storyline. Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are also very good and I find them enjoyable to play even now. Link's Amwakening on the Snes is massively fun and in my opinion Twilight Princess, which I thought felt extremely linear, doesn't even come close to it. (The Zelda games on the N64 were pretty awesome mind)

The only game I have seen match up to them was Dragon Quest IX on the DS. That's not just nostalgia for me. I know what I want in a game and it's adventure. Here's to Skyrim being a thing of substance and not just of beauty *raises glass*

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
You can not generalize entire eras being better, that's like saying special effects were better for 80's movies when clearly there were a lot of shitty effects outweighing the good ones.

For every Zelda, Monkey Island etc. there were many absolutely dreadful games. Today there is actually a better balance of decent games at least, I'm quite satisfied with what we have.

So yes, nostalgia talking, but I love nostalgia.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
EcHoFiiVe said:
I think video games and music are very similar. Currently in the music world people view all modern music as crap by default and will rant about how great all old music from the 70s was. The only reason this is true is because the best music of that time period has had time to be recognized as such. There was plenty of crap from the era of classic rock too. Video games are exactly like this. Older games have had time to be recognized as garbage or not, while the newer ones really have not. There are modern games that will be recognized as the "Goldeneye 007 of this time period", but they just have not had time to sit and be recognized as true gems. Examples are Call of Duty 4, Portal, and a bunch of others. Just wait 10 years, and all of these games will be recognized as being as good or better than all of the classics that are staples in the industry.
Time is a great Crap Filter.

I also think nostalgia creeps in there, as people remember the impact of a game, rather than the game itself. A truly revolutionary game with slightly dodgy controls and aged graphics will be better remembered than some of the technically superior successors. But hand say GTA III and Saints Row 2 to a newbie and see which one he thinks is the better game.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Sure, last time I checked chess still rocked.

But on a serious note: the main culprit for nostalgia is that we compare all the games in (for example) 2010 to the 10 best games of the 30 years before that. We conveniently forget the truckloads of bad games that were made during those "golden" years.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
In a word: definitely. Modern games I feel don't have enough variation, and they give a feeling that everything's been done. Plus, spin-off games have become a popular creation, and they're not all that good. Old school games have a sense of originality, and they feel as if they're trying to cater for the player rather than their bank accounts. Also, newer games trying and make the graphics look so realistic that they're forgotten that games are often used as real world escapes, whereas old games look like they're gone 'fuck graphics, let's pour all of our money into the "ZOMG this is fun!" department'.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Some are but not all. <---Simplest Answer I've ever given.

Question to OP: Was this thread influenced by the other old game threads lately?

liquidus118

Jul 22, 2009
Longer campaigns, originality, open-ended/ open-world gameplay and far better game design are the ones talking, actually.
Oh, and Mr. No-tacked-on-multiplayer.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
The reason it seems that way is because your brain is wired to think that way. Our memories naturally, purposefully forget crappy things, frustrations, and miseries, because it makes our lives easier. If we could remember all of our sad things just as clearly as we do the good things, we would eventually be buried under the weight of all the sorrow and end up killing ourselves. So we are keyed to remember good and forget bad.

The same is true of video games. I remember when Tomb Raider 2 was offered as a download on the PSN. I snatched it up right away and hunkered down to play. After about fifteen minutes, the lack of analog sticks made me want to stab my eyes out of my head. Back in the day, TR2 was the bomb. Now, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wipe my ass with it -- because I forgot about the shitty controls.

Also, Kargathia speaks truth. People always wonder why music isn't as good as classic rock, and my reply to them is "What you don't hear on your classic rock station is the MOUNTAIN of mediocrity guys like the Stones and CCR had to climb over to be as awesome as they are."

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ixnay1111 said:
I love playing older games but I cant really say why. Whats everyones thoughts?
Most older games were made with a love of what they were doing. Not budget deadlines. (What this means is the programmers used to be in control, now the accountants are) As well alot of games these days are copies of older games with a few touch up's ... the origional idea usually does it a bit better. For some of my really old dos games, they didn't have fancy graphics to fall back on, they had to make it fun or it went no where quick.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I find Deus Ex to be one of the best shooters ever made, and I didn't play it until last year. So no nostalgia for me there.

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Naturally, it's pretty subjective, but I feel that the writing in games was better in the nineties. I really hope that the graphics race dies down and developers are forced to hire better writers to compete.

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
i prefer older games because you dont get all the HACKING-BOOSTING SCUM! and most dont have multiplayer at all.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Personally I prefer older games simply because they don't make the sort of games I like anymore. I prefer complex games and haqrdcore RPGs and the more intricate FPS type games like Thief or Deus Ex. However game companies don't make games like that anymore so I'm left having to play older games.

ThePinkAcidSmurf

Mar 30, 2010
Ixnay1111 said:
I love playing older games but I cant really say why. Whats everyones thoughts?
The great games are easier to remember. My personal favorites will (probably) always be the Baldur's Gate series, Dungeon Keeper and Carmageddon 2.

Great games are still being made, but as always, it depends on the player playing them. I'd say that games like BioShock, Oblivion, Fallout: New Vegas, Civ 4, Warcraft 3 and many more are great. Some being older than other.

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
I'd call it a little bit of both. Some clasics really are great, and certainly worth the praise they get (like Doom, Castlevania, FFVI) and others are just the nostalgia talking, because they really aren't that good (looking at you, Ocarina of Time). That being said, I honestly find it funny how people get all up in arms when people insult their favorite games from their childhood (kinda like I did up there) and run off some random list of little tidbits about the game that make it miles better than anything else (let's face it, folks: Ocarina of Time sucked in comparison to Wind Waker).

So yeah, Nostalgia is sometimes warented, but other times it's just what we thought of something before something truly great came along, and we couldn't recognize the true greatness for what it is.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Well I feel that for games, it is the nostagia talking. But for animation, which I admit is out of left field, it is the truth that the older shows are better.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
A good deal of it is nostalgia, but older games had the advantage of the technological limitations. A fully-rendered 3D environment was impossible on the NES, so the gameplay had to be confined to stuff it could do, which was 2D sidescrolling platformers.

I think it was David Warhol, former programmer for Mattel Electronics, that described it best in that these days game design is about hooking up as much as possible to the game engine but back then the cartridges we so small there wasn't much you could hook up to it. So it required playing the game and thinking "Hmm. Was that fun? How could I make it more fun?"

Also the simplicity of older games helps to make them engaging. It's kind of nice to have a simple, stated goal and the means to accomplish it placed right in front of you. Not that Colony 7 is going to replace Black Ops, nor should it. Different activities can scratch different itches.