Are open world games really that amazing?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So was this part of a research study or something? I'm just curious because the OP hasn't really responded and apparently the question is their only post on the forums, which seems....odd. I'm not saying it's inherently sus but it does seem weird to ask a question and after 2 weeks and 20 replies there's radio silence about said topic from the OP. Or maybe it's just me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I definitely have open world burnout and have for a long time. I basically don't touch anything Ubisoft makes anymore. But if it's a design choice that makes sense for the game, it can work. I hope the industry is growing out of the idea that bigger is better. I still prefer the hub-based levels of golden-age BioWare games for RPGs. Don't know why it became less common for games to have distinct levels. Fallen Order did it and that was one of my favorite games of the last decade.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So was this part of a research study or something? I'm just curious because the OP hasn't really responded and apparently the question is their only post on the forums, which seems....odd. I'm not saying it's inherently sus but it does seem weird to ask a question and after 2 weeks and 20 replies there's radio silence about said topic from the OP. Or maybe it's just me.
Well, considering OP is a self-confessed wildling, it makes it especially tough to predict let alone confirm the intent.

Reactions: Dalisclock

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I basically don't touch anything Ubisoft makes anymore.
The primary problem there is that Ubisoft doesn't build their games around open worlds- they build the open worlds around a very narrow game, and then dot those open worlds with pointless busywork to pad out playtime. I've said before that Ubisoft won't rest until they find a way to force gamers to climb a real-life tower in order to buy their games.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The primary problem there is that Ubisoft doesn't build their games around open worlds- they build the open worlds around a very narrow game, and then dot those open worlds with pointless busywork to pad out playtime. I've said before that Ubisoft won't rest until they find a way to force gamers to climb a real-life tower in order to buy their games.
So the first Tower Type game?

Oh God, I just realized that we don't want Kojima anywhere near Ubisoft. He'll be having all the devs jumping off RL towers before making a new AC game.......for research and then have half the characters be super kinky for creepy reasons.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So the first Tower Type game?

Oh God, I just realized that we don't want Kojima anywhere near Ubisoft. He'll be having all the devs jumping off RL towers before making a new AC game.......for research and then have half the characters be super kinky for creepy reasons.
Speaking of creepy he should really just get to making that horror game he was talking about last gen. Really all he’d have to do is change the title to keep Konami off his tail.

Reactions: Dalisclock