Are people abusing the concept of a trigger?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The word "trigger" triggers me, so obviously I had to read the entire thread to reach the maximum amount of being triggered.

AwesomeHatMan

Jul 24, 2012
JimB said:
AwesomeHatMan said:
I think what ks is saying there is that if discussing something can cause horrible flashbacks/whatever and that one finds it so hard to talk about this, then why would one be discussing this on social media? If one does have this problem with this topic, why would they go out of their way to bring it up (especially on social media, which has such a reputation for its negativity)? Surely by doing this they are doing the thing that they were trying to avoid.
People have their own methods for coping with things. I deal with issues I'd never discuss with another living person, and which I'd immediately flee the room if a real person tried to discuss them with me, but I will talk about them online. It feels safer here, since I am in control of the discussion (at least in the sense that I can choose my own level of participation with absolute sovereignty) and since my never having looked any of you in the eye puts you in a weird place in my mind where I can pretend you're not real and your judgments of me don't matter.

I'm not saying the people who discuss their triggers online feel the same way I do, but I can say it makes sense to me and to my experiences.
That actually seems kinda reasonable...

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Just out of curiosity, do you only have close friends and family added and good privacy settings, or can/do hundreds upon hundreds see what you post?
I don't use services like Facebook or Twitter or that, so maybe what I do doesn't count as being on social media. I use public forums like these. The results have obviously depended on the community in question, but even on this site, where people are gleeful about their hate, I've been met with mostly positive responses.

AwesomeHatMan said:
That actually seems kinda reasonable...
Thank you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
good thing that was totally called for.
I apologise. It was definitely wrong of me to call you on your exact actions. I will refrain from the truth in the future.

Well, I won't. But I will consider your feelings first. Even if it is kind of hypocritical to make accusations like that at me, and then complain that it wasn't called for when done to you.

Next time, maybe practice what you preach.

the silence said:
As someone who worked in a psychiatry[....]

You need to talk about the things. You absolutely need to.
As someone who has worked in psychiatry, surely you are aware that there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" solution.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. If someone is in immediate danger, yes, don't do anything to provoke them. 20 minutes later however it's important to try and understand why they got to that point, and get them help through the trauma, the mental illness, even he shitty parts of life that got them thinking drastic action was a good idea because if that wound doesn't heal, and they get the idea that if they're in a bad enough place the whole world will change to protect them, they'll just be back on the ledge sooner or later.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Yes... It's awesome -_-

The more you try to remind yourself it's irrational, the harder it seems to be to get past it...

And it's not even in any way consistent or predictable. All the little stresses and nonsense in the rest of your life can wear you down to the point that what you would otherwise be perfectly fine talking about suddenly just... Hits you out of nowhere... >_<
Yeah, it's fun knowing that something in a situation you face every day could set you off for no (apparent) good reason one day. Possibly simply because you've been worn down, or possibly just one element sufficient to give you that gut check, and then your brain checks out.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
JimB said:
Popido said:
This PC behavior will only lead to bloodbath.
What is the progression of events and/or timeline you imagine that begins with trigger warning and ends in a bloodbath? That is, how do we get from where we're standing to where you predict?
If you bully people hard enough, treat them unfairly and give them no escape, they'll snap. PC is about setting restrictions. If we restrict everything willynilly, more and more people will feel that they're treated unfairly. The closer we get to the boiling point, the higher the chances for violent break out increases.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Zachary Amaranth said:
As someone who has worked in psychiatry, surely you are aware that there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" solution.
You are right, I find myself generalize too much all the time, even though one of my basic understandings of human nature is that you should never generalize.
I did not mean you have to force someone talking about stuff, but, as someone else wrote on this site, you need to know about things before you deny talking about them at all. Like I also said, in some cases trigger warnings are important (I actually would like to have it a different way - just an abstract which says "this text deals with stuff", not necessarily using the term "trigger warning" extensively).

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Popido said:
JimB said:
Popido said:
This PC behavior will only lead to bloodbath.
What is the progression of events and/or timeline you imagine that begins with trigger warning and ends in a bloodbath? That is, how do we get from where we're standing to where you predict?
If you bully people hard enough, treat them unfairly and give them no escape, they'll snap.
While I appreciate you answering me, Popido, I need a little more specificity from you, please. I genuinely do not understand how "I have been traumatized by this, and ask that you please respect my trauma" is a form of bullying or is in any way unfair. To whom is it unfair, and how? What is it costing those people that is disproportionate or unjust?

Popido said:
PC is about setting restrictions.
I...guess, but so is the law. Does it become unfair bullying from which there is no escape?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JimB said:
While I appreciate you answering me, Popido, I need a little more specificity from you, please. I genuinely do not understand how "I have been traumatized by this, and ask that you please respect my trauma" is a form of bullying or is in any way unfair. To whom is it unfair, and how? What is it costing those people that is disproportionate or unjust?
You know, over the last few months, I've started to get the feeling that "asking me to consider someone else" IS the idea a good chunk of people have when it comes to "bullying."

I...guess, but so is the law.
Oh shit, the prophecy is fulfilled! The slippery slope has been slipped! First we had folks asking for consideration, and now there's a whole legal system?

Disclaimer: that probably sounded a lot funnier in my head.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Zachary Amaranth said:
JimB said:
You know, over the last few months, I've started to get the feeling that "asking me to consider someone else" IS the idea a good chunk of people have when it comes to "bullying."
And censorship.

And probably a whole slew of other shit that used to fall under the heading of "not being a selfish fuckhead".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
And censorship.

And probably a whole slew of other shit that used to fall under the heading of "not being a selfish fuckhead".
Pretty much. Actually, I'm surprised at how many people I've seen get offended over someone else being offended. It's like, have some self awareness and maybe some empathy.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Of course you have every right to say your offended, I just don't see why any rational person would take such a statement seriously. Stephen Fry put this concept to words best:

What an ironic thing for you to post.

Remind me, who was it that got horribly and inexplicably offended at being called "dead"? I can't quite remember.
Gosh, it's on the tip of my tongue.