are people getting stupider

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
So, my question to you is, is the general population just getting even stupider buy the minute.
i mean just looked on you-tube and there's some prime example's of either people jumping of building and breaking there backs for the lolz.

Or just people that are just so dumb they think saint pat-ricks day is racist and that Jews and gingers are race's like Caucasian and Asian.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'd say the amount of stupid people remains relatively constant. But, you know the saying? Beware of stupid people in large numbers? Well, that's what the internet affords them, the ability to gather en masse to compare their works of stupidity and try to out stupid one and another.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Difference between now and the past is you didn't have constant access to every video/blog-post/website of someone who has decided to upload their shenanigans. If you lived in small town USA before the invention of the internet, or even the invention of cellphones with internet and decent video capabilities, you had very limited information about complete strangers, whether they be overseas or just in the next town/city.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Pro-tip, if you're going to say people are getting stupider, make sure your spelling is somewhat...well, correct. :p

And probably, but I don't care, I YOLOSWAG ev'ryday.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
The world isn't more stupid. We're just more aware of all the stupid. But than again, maybe we're heading towards the world in "Idiocracy"

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Oh, those people are actually quite smart.
Think about it for a second.

They are filming themselves doing outlandish things.
People are going to watch them en masse just to say "oh wow, how dumb" or something similar.
They will be linked around, and those that made the videos will be "stars" of some sort.
Be it for fifteen minutes, or an ongoing channel.

A lot of them are full of original content, meaning that the people that made the videos have likely linked up to a Google adsense account to be paid for the large amounts of views and subscriptions that they accrue per video. So I wouldn't say that people are necessarily getting stupider, it's just that they've found a profitable outlet for being stupid. They're trying to get payload off of publicity (regardless of whether or not it's negative). Plus, you don't have to be an idiot to do or say something stupid for money. Just desperate and perhaps creative.

Coppercab specifically is essentially the Westboro baptist church of Youtube.
Except that instead of making money off of lawsuits for actions against him, he makes money by baiting people into thinking he's an idiot. And maybe he is just an idiot, but he's an idiot making money off of something that costs him nothing to produce alongside probably having a job on the side.

Interesting to think about, no?

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
NightmareExpress said:
Oh, those people are actually quite smart.
Think about it for a second.

They are filming themselves doing outlandish things.
People are going to watch them en masse just to say "oh wow, how dumb" or something similar.
They will be linked around, and those that made the videos will be "stars" of some sort.
Be it for fifteen minutes, or an ongoing channel.

A lot of them are full of original content, meaning that the people that made the videos have likely linked up to a Google adsense account to be paid for the large amounts of views and subscriptions that they accrue per video. So I wouldn't say that people are necessarily getting stupider, it's just that they've found a profitable outlet for being stupid. They're trying to get payload off of publicity (regardless of whether or not it's negative). Plus, you don't have to be an idiot to do or say something stupid for money. Just desperate and perhaps creative.

Coppercab specifically is essentially the Westboro baptist church of Youtube.
Except that instead of making money off of lawsuits for actions against him, he makes money by baiting people into thinking he's an idiot. And maybe he is just an idiot, but he's an idiot making money off of something that costs him nothing to produce alongside probably having a job on the side.

Interesting to think about, no?
Your defiantly right about copper cab being troll-bait, but there are a lot of people on you-tube where it's a miracle they haven't accidentally killed them self's buy now.

Just look at these idiots, especially at the 6 minute mark.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
This is the internet, so you can't really take everything you see or read to heart. CopperCab, for example. I genuinely believe that guy is just stirring shit on YouTube with his videos and having a great time doing it. People get pissed off over YouTube comments all the time, the majority of which are done in jest just to rile people. The internet is a very wild place and people do not necessarily act themselves on it. Someone you may deem stupid for a comment on the internet might just be the guy who finds the cure to cancer.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, don't judge humanity or people based upon what you see on the net. It's inaccurate.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
madwarper said:
I'd say the amount of stupid people remains relatively constant. But, you know the saying? Beware of stupid people in large numbers? Well, that's what the internet affords them, the ability to gather en masse to compare their works of stupidity and try to out stupid one and another.
I disagree . The population is growing thus the potential for stupid people grows . And since it's harder to be "not stupid" than to be stupid , thus unbalancing the ratio of stupid to "not stupid" , in favor of stupid .

OT: well with the help of youtube and all this social media , we can find the stupid people a lot easier.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Aw shucks, someone ninja'd me on Idiocracy.

OT: Meh, I'd say it's mostly the same as it's ever been. It's just that those same people now have multiple platforms where they can be heard loud and clear almost anywhere.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
No, don't be so daft. There are two main reasons people think people are getting dumber:
-A shit ton of things get caught on camera these days. 20 years ago it was far less likely that you would catch your mate accidentally setting his crotch on fire on camera.
-People always think everything is always getting worse.

There's simply no real evidence that the general population is getting less intelligent.

krazykidd said:
I disagree . The population is growing thus the potential for stupid people grows . And since it's harder to be "not stupid" than to be stupid , thus unbalancing the ratio of stupid to "not stupid" , in favor of stupid .
What? No. The ratio would remain the same. Stupid people would just outnumber intelligent people by a greater margin. If the ratio changed, that would be because being intelligent had somehow gotten more difficult.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
*more stupid

OT: I don't think people are getting more stupid as much as we now have approximately a billion more channels of learning about their stupidity

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
generals3 said:
The world isn't more stupid. We're just more aware of all the stupid. But than again, maybe we're heading towards the world in "Idiocracy"

It's okay man, Camacho has a plan.

Personally I think we are just as smart or dumb as any point in the last 30 years the only difference is I can type 'moron' into google and be presented with thousands of hilarious results. The internet has just made it easier to access, and everyone having a potential camera in the form of there phone/social networking means we are always found out.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Launcelot111 said:
*more stupid
If you think that's the only grammatical error the OP made, you should probably read his posts in this thread again.

EDIT: Also, 'stupider' isn't incorrect.

OT: Nah. People have always done stupid things to get attention. There used to be television shows hosted on MTV about it. Now there's Youtube.

Spikethebloody

Mar 10, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Launcelot111 said:
*more stupid
If you think that's the only grammatical error the OP made, you should probably read his posts in this thread again.

OT: Nah. People have always done stupid things to get attention. There used to be television shows hosted on MTV about it. Now there's Youtube.
Yeah, sorry for the bad grammar, I've lived in France since i was 6 so i don't write in English very often.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
No, people were always stupid

Now, it's just easier to see the more extreme aspects of it

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Sassafrass said:
And probably, but I don't care, I YOLOSWAG ev'ryday.
Damnit Sass, stop these shenanigans this instant :3

OT: I'd say yes, both the number of stupid people as well as the level of stupidity of certain individuals. Heck I saw this video of someone who believed they could become super saiyan.

Here it is :p

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Launcelot111 said:
*more stupid

Stupider is a word?! I feel like the stupidest.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No.

As well as the technological advances mentioned, though, there might be more of a fad for displaying your stupidity to the world, rather than keeping it tucked away.