are people getting stupider

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
people aren't getting more stupid, but thanks to the internet we are vastly more aware of the stupid things the minority do.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
The average citizen of the world today is probably smarter than any other point in human history. But the ratio of smart to stupid is probably the same now as it always has been.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I don't think people are getting dumber, just that their standards for content quality are slipping.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Spikethebloody said:
So, my question to you is, is the general population just getting even stupider buy the minute.
i mean just looked on you-tube and there's some prime example's of either people jumping of building and breaking there backs for the lolz.

Or just people that are just so dumb they think saint pat-ricks day is racist and that Jews and gingers are race's like causation's and Asian's
o.p are you trolling?
i'm not one to point out others ppl's poor english but i find it hard to believe a native English speaker can make those types of grammatical and spelling errors and even those who speak another language do not tend to make these types of mistakes.

for the lolz
buy = by
youtube
example's = examples
there backs = their backs (this is a common error and hard to criticize)
st pat-ricks = st patrick's
race's like causation's and Asian's = races like Caucasians and Asians

not to say there isn't more mistakes but i won't judge ppl for missing a comma here and there on a forum

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Spikethebloody said:
Either there's some subtle satire going on here, or you're answering your own question. Not sure which, I sincerely hope the first.

The vocal minority of idiots are finding new ways to be vocal and idiotic. They were always about, but now they can get global exposure. Some of the even get paid to be idiots on TV. It's disgusting. See: TOWIE, Jersey Shore, etc. and every one that watches those shows.

Or to sum it up, I'll quote Higgs20
higgs20 said:
people aren't getting more stupid, but thanks to the internet we are vastly more aware of the stupid things the minority do.
Captcha: Rain tonight.
No sher shitlock I live in England.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No it's not getting stupider
The difference to, let's say 10 year ago is the internet. Now we can see all the stupid people and they are makinf themselves more visible.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Rigs83 said:
Technically yes. Human brain size has shrunk in the last 20,000 or so. Read this http://discovermagazine.com/2010/sep/25-modern-humans-smart-why-brain-shrinking
That very article points out that 1. our brains have actually gotten BIGGER in the last two centuries, probably because of nutrition, 2. the referenced expert thinks that our rapidly shrinking brains is a sign of us getting more intelligent, and 3. the most notable change in behavior from a physically smaller brain is reduced aggression, not a notable change in intelligence.

Try again?
Expecting someone to read a source they clearly found by using a hasty google? The very idea!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Rigs83 said:
Technically yes. Human brain size has shrunk in the last 20,000 or so. Read this http://discovermagazine.com/2010/sep/25-modern-humans-smart-why-brain-shrinking
That very article points out that 1. our brains have actually gotten BIGGER in the last two centuries, probably because of nutrition, 2. the referenced expert thinks that our rapidly shrinking brains is a sign of us getting more intelligent, and 3. the most notable change in behavior from a physically smaller brain is reduced aggression, not a notable change in intelligence.

Try again?
Ouch. I think we have a winner.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
You'll always have idiots and geniuses. You just need to look in the right places to find either: If you're looking in a place where a lot of idiots congregate, hell yeah you're going to think that the population is getting dumber. But if you go and find where smarter people congregate, you'll find something different. You'll find that we've got people that are smarter than ever before: these people would blow Einstein's mind. So really, it depends on where you look.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
unless you have a time machine there's no way to tell,

history is always glorified after all, stupid people are generally forgotten about.-

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Spikethebloody said:
So, my question to you is, is the general population just getting even stupider buy the minute.
i mean just looked on you-tube and there's some prime example's of either people jumping of building and breaking there backs for the lolz.
People have always been jumping off stuff and breaking their backs for the lolz. It's just until recently that they have a channel (Youtube) for showcasing their endeavours to the world.

Spikethebloody said:
Or just people that are just so dumb they think saint pat-ricks day is racist and that Jews and gingers are race's like causation's and Asian's
'Causation' is not a race but a noun referring to the act of causing. Furthermore, Asians are people who live in a place that is geographically located within the continent of Asia; so that's not a race either.

So yeah, if incorectly referring to groups of people as a race renders you dumb, then, according to your logic, you are dumb.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I don't particularly think there are more stupid people per unit of population, but thanks to a growing population and access to content, there are more stupid people, and it's a lot easier to see them as well.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
No, I don't think humanity is getting stupider as a race ; if we did, Idiocracy would be a documentary instead of a dark comedy. It's just that, thanks to the rise of telecommunications and the Internet, the stupid people get more attention.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
No people aren't getting stupider, and to anyone thinking idiocracy was right we have this xkcd:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/idiocracy.png

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
lRookiel said:
Sassafrass said:
And probably, but I don't care, I YOLOSWAG ev'ryday.
Damnit Sass, stop these shenanigans this instant :3

OT: I'd say yes, both the number of stupid people as well as the level of stupidity of certain individuals. Heck I saw this video of someone who believed they could become super saiyan.

Here it is :p

Good god what a tard.
Pretty sure that's a joke video.

Anyway, my standard contribution to "we're a generation of shits" threads: People have been decrying the next generation as lost since Ancient Greece.