Are people too hard on smokers?

The Red Bastard

Jul 28, 2011
I was recently reading a thread that asked the question: "what are your deal breakers?" I noticed there was a very large amount of people who claimed smoking was an instant deal breaker, no matter the person, some even going as far as saying they would not even befriend someone who was a smoker.

Now I don't smoke myself, but am I the only person who thinks people are way too harsh on smokers? I find it shocking that so many people are willing to shun someone over one habbit. It seems to me smokers are one of the relatively few groups people are willing to openly hate.

What are your thoughts on the topic?

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
They are hated on way too much.
Their habit may be illogical but it's one of their weaknesses.
We all have weaknesses.

cameron196789

Jan 17, 2011
I also think people are a bit too harsh on the smokers, while I do not support smokers, I do not believe they should so publicly hated. People argue that they are killing themselves, but are people drinking alcohol and eating fast food not killing themselves, yet I don't see people being as harsh on these people as they do on smokers. I think that the media also has a large role in effecting how people view the topic as well.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I can understand the problem some people have with smoking, but I can't understand how they can be so judgemental as to completely disregard someone based on a single habit. It makes zero sense. I do belive that some people are too hard on smokers (I used to be one), but if they want to throw away possible relationships or friendships based on a single trait then far be it from me to stop them.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Inb4 "Smokers are stupid, selfish, horrible bastards and I would never associate myself with one because I am obviously too clever and morally superior."

OP: Yes, yes and thrice yes. I am sick of people telling me how bad it is for me as if I wasn't aware already. I'm not going to apologize or give some silly reason about how stressful my life is, I smoke, I don't need to justify it, end of.

It's illegal for smokers to do so indoors, which I support, but even outside people get up on their high-horses and rant on about the dangers of second-hand smoke which seems to be the equivalent of me passing on AIDS. It's outside, the amount of smoke that might accidentally blow your way isn't going to kill you, I'd be more worried about the emissions coming from, well, everything else in an urban area. I've heard people give out about smoking in a DESIGNATED SMOKING AREA, seriously? Just go somewhere one of the many, many places it's illegal.

I realize I'm coming across as though I'm frothing at the mouth but the lectures you get for smoking from every single, entitled ass who thinks they know better is infuriating. You hate smoking? Great, why are you risking your life coming near me to complain about it then.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
My logic is as follows:
At first she'll smell horrible, like cigarettes.
Then her skin will start rapidly ageing and she'll look significantly worse.
If I love her enough to stay with her even though she smells and looks bad she's likely to get lung cancer and die, leaving me heartbroken.

Why would I ever want to start something with such a woman when there's thousands of other non-smoking women out there who have personalities just as great or even better as the best of smokers?

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
"I don't know why people smoke."

A common phrase uttered by the befuddled outsider with a simple answer. Because it makes them feel good. We don't shun people for having eating fast food but we do shun this sort of behaviour? Ridiculous. As long as it doesn't affect anyone else, I'm fine with it.

Bring me a casual smoker and I'll treat him like I would anyone else. Bring me a parent who feeds their kids McDonalds twice a week and I'll kick 'im down and slap some sense into him.

Although care obviously must be taken like making sure to do it in private, outside and far away from anyone who might dislike it.

Apprentice88

Jun 16, 2011
Couldn't care less myself, though honestly I don't get how people could get addicted to cigarettes in the first place, I've tried 'em and they're shite.

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
No, because people care about the people they love.

Also, second hand smoking and stink.

/thread

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
cameron196789 said:
People argue that they are killing themselves, but are people drinking alcohol and eating fast food not killing themselves, yet I don't see people being as harsh on these people as they do on smokers.
Actually, I think people who eat fast food *are* treated quite harshly. McDonald's jokes, anyone? Alcohol is somewhat different, because it's not perceived as being as dangerous physiologically (even if it is) - most people associate the health risks of alcohol with addiction, car accidents, drunken violence, and alcohol poisoning, not with "normal" consumption (whereas "normal" consumption of cigarettes and fast food are both perceived as unhealthy).

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Meh it's a media thing. I'm a smoker and I get alot of hate from people. While I find it funny that I work in the health sector. And most people working with me smoke. It's because they all say that there are too many ways a person can die.

Media says that if you eat right. Excercise a bit every week and don't smoke. Then you will live a long and healthy life. Thats wrong. If you do all that. You increase your chances by lets say 10% to live longer. And I'm being generous about the 10% I think. We hear cases all the time: person got hit by bus. Person got stabbed. Person just fell dead from a congenital heart defect at 31. That last one was really sad. A 31 year old woman dropped dead on the street one day. She had just given birth to her first child a month ago.

Anyways, I'm not saying smoking is good and I'm certainly not encouraging anyone to start smoking because it is a bad habit!!! But lighten up a bit. Don't go casting stones at me when you yourself are poisoning your body. Everybody has got a few bad habits. Sad thing is most people don't even realise that they have them. Not because they are stupid (well not all of them at least) but because they studied economics or something. They just know what the media tells them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I hear this a lot, usually from smokers. I'd say yes, they're treated too harshly, except for one critical issue.

Smokers stink.

It's not personal, but smokers stink, all of them, you can be half a street away and they still stink. I just don't like having to live my life around people who smell like the back end of a mule all day.

Mr.Numbers

Jan 15, 2011
Second hand smoke hospitalized my father repeatedly from a young age, back when it was the norm for parents to smoke. He literally had to become a triathlete, semi professional swimmer, just to get his lungs to compensate for the damage and abuse they'd suffered.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
It's not about the habit, or writing someone off because of one weakness, I could never be with a smoker because the smell and taste are disgusting. If you are a non-smoker it is just impractical to date someone who you would not be able to kiss until they had showered, changed their clothes, washed their hair, left their smelly apartment, and taken a breathmint.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
Blablahb said:
In my experience, too many smokers fully realise how annoying their habit is to others. People smoking makes my eyes hurt, and I can smell the stench up to an hour later if someone smoked somewhere indoors.

To name you one example, I've gotten into an altercation with some idiot who was smoking right outside the exit of the hospital, right under a sign saying smoking is prohibited.
Was he outdoors and the sign referring to indoors? How small was the exit that your wife couldn't walk around him? Your story isn't too clear. Because its kind of painting you as the more militant one. non smoker here just so you know.

l3lazec

Oct 3, 2010
To those who won't ever consider be-friending a person who smokes/does drugs does this mean that if Carl Sagan/Bob Dylan/Paul McCartney/Michael Phelps/Barrack Obama ever came up to you and asked if you wanted to hang out that you would say no? Would you consider them stupid?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
The laws in Britain may be harsh against them, but it's for health and social purposes. Non-smokers (including myself) don't want to have to breathe in second hand smoke when in a pub/bar/public establishment. You want to smoke? That's fine, but please do it outside where people who don't want to suffer second hand smoke are free to breathe regular air inside.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Most of my friends smoke.
Great people to the last one.

I do however try to avoid girlfriends that smoke.
But that's because I can't get past the ''taste'' of smoke.