Are season passes a bad sign in games?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Only two types of people buy into season passes. People with a lot of money or people with not enough brain. It's a ridiculous concept. By refusing to be vocally against season passes, gamers have allowed the gaming industry to take another step towards milking the consumers by chopping off their games into pieces. And now they want you to pay for something without telling you what it is under the threat that if you don't get it, you'll be missing out. It's not going to disappear for fuck sake. It's all digital anyway. The game companies have finally found a perfect way to sell you their games for $100.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I can't blame the game industry. The opportunities are too good to pass up.

Gamers buy those vague promises out of their own volition, when they can simply wait for the DLC to become discounted.

The consumer has a right to complain if the pass doesn't live up to expectations, but if the promised content was vague enough that there can be no false advertisement, all you can still say boils down to: I paid for shit, the end.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Not particularly. I just wait until all the DLC is out and if a Season Pass then seems worth it, then I pick it up.

Apr 5, 2008
Just pick up a game's "complete" edition when it becomes available. If one doesn't become available, make a choice some time after release and the DLCs are out. Pre-ordering and season passes are paying for vague promises for something that doesn't even exist. If you like paying for things that don't exist based on a promise, for $39.99 up front I'll ship you some snake oil in 3 months that cures ANY ailment.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
What you don't like to pay $30 and not know what you are buying? What next time you say you care about value and..oooh you are one those gamers.

Yes I agree, these "Buy our DLC even though you are not sure what is in it" deals are horrible for the person who pays for it. Sure you might get that piece of DLC but what if it isn't that good. I am not even going in what if it sucks I just say what if it is kinda there but not really that good.

And worse what if DLC that was promised doesn't shows up until 2 years later when you stopped playing the game.

Game Companies have about 1 year in what they can expect their game to be played before it is relegated down to the budget box on steam. That means that within the first year it is out they need to recoup as much money as possible. This indeed means that DLC passes are here to stay.

For gamers though it is smarter to wait it out and see if the DLC is worth it. Or wait for the Game of the Year release 2 years later with all the DLC.

So there we are, joy to the world, the situation in gaming these days. I guess at least we have less "special" editions with statues and other things. Fun as those are they take up space and in the end are worth $5. These DLC passes are just like these special editions are.

Yes I know later special editions actually we're more 5 DLC codes added to your copy. And no statue or anything in sight.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I think, from a business perspective, it's really smart.

Wait, wait, hear me out. Games have become ludicrously expensive to make, everyone knows that by now. I remember dropping $75 after taxes on Chrono Trigger back in the 90's, and in perspective, $59.99 is cheap for modern games. I'm shortening a lot of points to be concise, but it's clear that publishers would very much like (or might even have needed) to charge $89-99 for the huge AAA games with modern ultra-graphics.

For me, it's an issue of how soon you want the game. You can pay the $59.99 to have the "core experience" as early as possible, and another 20-30 to get the other 1/3 or so spread out after release. This sounds like total bullshit in the context of "complete" games costing $60 like they always have, but its the alternative to paying $90-100 at retail.

If you have the patience, or don't have that kind of money, it is inevitable that in 6-12 months there will be a "GOTY" edition, the full and complete game you wanted for the $60 you've always paid. It's not at all ideal, some are more greedy about it than others, but I can't help but think that something had to give as far as the budgets/marketing to revenue ratio is concerned. At least with every game with DLC having GOTY, the financial success of a game isn't exclusively looked at in the first week of sales.

I'd rather the concept of DLC wasn't co-opted to be used outside of the expansion format we were used to, or the way we were hoping it would be used, but the way it ended up being utilized is pretty smart. This is saying nothing of DLC for pre-ordering, retailer exclusive DLC, and the price gouging that is total bullshit in Europe, Australia, and other countries. Somebody had to pony up for the spectacle, and we've paid more than $60 before in order to have it (Donkey Kong Country, anyone)? I just try to not think of publishers twirling their moustaches like Dick Dasterdly, it's not as simple as that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
MetalDooley said:
Kolby Jack said:
343 is fairly upright with their business practices (they did give away ODST on the MCC for free as an apology for the multiplayer issues)?
Wait when did they give away ODST?I have the MCC and don't recall getting a copy at any point
Microsoft said that when ODST comes to Xbox One, people who played the Master Chief Collection in its first month will receive it for free. ODST's not out yet, but they basically confirmed its existence by saying it. Awesome for myself, given that I only really played the singleplayer when all the shit was going down, and ODST is my favourite after Halo 2.

lazyslothboy

Jul 1, 2010
Evonisia said:
Microsoft said that when ODST comes to Xbox One, people who played the Master Chief Collection in its first month will receive it for free. ODST's not out yet, but they basically confirmed its existence by saying it. Awesome for myself, given that I only really played the singleplayer when all the shit was going down, and ODST is my favourite after Halo 2.
To be fair, I think the ODST campaign is an addon to MCC not a standalone thing. Though I'd be happy to be wrong. ODST has some of my favorite parts in all the halo campaigns and the more people who can experience it the better.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
When I see season pass, if it's a game I'm interested in, it means I will wait for the inevitable GOTY edition. That way I will also be able to see if the DLC was worth it.

I don't see much point in pre-ordering DLC. It makes about as much sense as pre-ordering a PC game before the minimum requirements are posted.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yes Season passes are a bad sign, You're paying a chunk up front for content you haven't seen, for a game you don't even know you're going to like yet.

They're not going anywhere though, as we keep buying them. So the Publishers will keep offering them.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Yes Season passes are a blight upon the gaming industry just like DLC is and I hope they go die in a fire.

I don't want my games to be cut into tiny bits and then sold to me again at a later date. This is why I have refused to buy any season passes for any game.

Expansions are a totally different thing, which I agree to and buy regularly (WoW expansions and Blizzard expansions in general), because they offer a great chunk of content for a low price.

If Warner Brothers think they can get 40euro out of me for a small campaign with Batgirl, maps, skins & races for the Batmobile they have another thing coming.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Adam Jensen said:
Only two types of people buy into season passes. People with a lot of money or people with not enough brain. It's a ridiculous concept. By refusing to be vocally against season passes, gamers have allowed the gaming industry to take another step towards milking the consumers by chopping off their games into pieces. And now they want you to pay for something without telling you what it is under the threat that if you don't get it, you'll be missing out. It's not going to disappear for fuck sake. It's all digital anyway. The game companies have finally found a perfect way to sell you their games for $100.
Explain to me how it's anti-consumer.

You don't have to buy a season pass before knowing what dlc is going to be included in it. You can buy each dlc separately if you wish, you can buy the season pass after all the dlc is released if you want to get all the dlc at a discount. No one forces people to preorder the season pass in order to get any of the dlc.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
A season pass, to me, is something that says wait a year. Wait for the complete/ultimate/goty edition to be released and then you'll have everything for $60 or maybe even less.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly it depends on the developer who is releasing the season pass. If Bethesda would release a season pass for the new Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd know they'd deliver on it. And also as Dirty Hipsters said above, you can buy it at anytime, I did that exact thing for Shadow of Mordor and Arkham Origins. You are not forced to buy it day 1 or something.

I don't view season passes as banes on the industry like a lot seem to.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Windcaler said:
A season pass, to me, is something that says wait a year. Wait for the complete/ultimate/goty edition to be released and then you'll have everything for $60 or maybe even less.
Not to mention most of the bugs and problems are usually fixed by then, though it's sadly becoming less certain.

I do the same thing, except I usually wait over a year. Right now I have a rule I won't buy ANY more games until I've completed my current library. God knows when that will be.

The way I see it, there are TONS of amazing games out there that I've never played. Even if they aren't new, they'll still be new to me, so why not check those out instead of whatever the newest release is.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
You know you can buy a season pass at any time right? You don't have to buy it at the same time that you're buying the game. If you bought the game and you didn't enjoy it enough to warrant the purchase of a season pass then you don't have to buy the season pass. Similarly if you don't know how much content the season pass is actually going to provide you could always wait to see some of the dlc that's released before you decide to buy the season pass.

The problem isn't season passes, it's people buying content that they've never seen and then that content not living up to their expectations. If you buy a mediocre game and at the same time buy a season pass for that mediocre game and realize you don't actually want the dlc, then that's your own fault. Season passes aren't a limited time option, they aren't something that you have to preorder, you can buy a season pass at any time.
This is why I don't really have a problem with a season pass. If it was that you had to preorder to get the DLC at all then it would probably piss me me off but since you can buy the DLC separately and buy the season pass at any time it's not a problem. The only season passes I've ever bought were from after all the DLC was released.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Evonisia said:
MetalDooley said:
Kolby Jack said:
343 is fairly upright with their business practices (they did give away ODST on the MCC for free as an apology for the multiplayer issues)?
Wait when did they give away ODST?I have the MCC and don't recall getting a copy at any point
Crap didn't get MCC until 26th Dec.Looks like no free ODST for me.Oh well luckily I still have a copy of the 360 version

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
I think the idea of season pass is interesting and not horrible. I think the major problem is the way that the companies approach dlc as being a way of skimping on the main game. if companies put out full games and then released dlc as they are supposed to be released, i.e. more content expanding on an already full game, then i think that season pass is a nice idea. Right now though, i don't support it because it encourages bad company behavior

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Seth Carter said:
I don't think they're inherently bad. Essentially a Kickstarter (sort of) for an expansion pack delivered in installments.

That's not generally the form they've taken though. Even worse, there's been a trend of the Season Pass not covering all DLC, or even all DLC inside a time-period, causing confusion and devaluing the concept further.
I see a Kickstarter like a charity for a project that I wish to have success. That certainly doesn't applies to season passes.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It's funny how a lot of the Youtube comments point out that in Australia games cost $100 already. They kinda missed the video's main point.