are steam downloads supposed to take this long?

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
so i'm a first time steam user and i get my first game of steam the orange box and here i am 2 days later and it's only half way is this just me or is this the standard

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Try to play around with server setting (View->Settings->Download Settings) sometimes one part of the cloud might get clogged or your ISP had crappy tunnelling to given network.
Like i usually get best bandwidth from German servers, but every now and then i will switch to UK or something else if that goes too slow.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
It all depends on internet speed and if you are using the internet in the background. Do you know what yours is?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
2 days ... for orange box? ... not unless you have a 14.4k modem. They usually blast downloads at me to the limit of my cable connection's bandwidth. You might try writing steam support and describing to them your current internet connection, including router and firewall. They may be slowing things up, but No. Steam isn't supposed to be anywhere NEAR that slow.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Well Tf 2 took me 4 hours so mabey a day? but thats just ssilly, try changing the download server.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
my internet connaction isn't bad but it leaves something ro be desired in most games it's roughly 90 ping if that means anything also i know not to out it in sleep

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
creationis apostate said:
imnotparanoid said:
Well Tf 2 took me 4 hours so mabey a day? but thats just ssilly, try changing the download server.
Then again TF2 is more updates than the original -_-' Seriously. The original was 3 gig I think. There are now 5 gigs of updates.
OT: what needs to be said has been said people before.
well here it ses just south of 10gig

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Hamish Durie said:
my internet connaction isn't bad but it leaves something ro be desired in most games it's roughly 90 ping if that means anything also i know not to out it in sleep
Sounds like a firewall/port issue to me. There is a minor amount of peer to peer hosting involved with Steam ... this would account for you getting anything at all. But if your ports are blocked to standard download protocols it would definately extend your downloads, while the system finds access points.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
it depends on your internet speed. heres some sciencey shit:
if two signals with the same wavelength are out of phase, you get destructive interference, so basically you lose signal energy. also, if the signal hits a tall structure (like a skyscraper) you get diffraction, so the signal doesnt arrive in about a 45 degree area. so if you live in a big city, with the tall buildings and lots of signals coming in on the same wavelength, you get shitty signals.
/science. i have to use a crappy cheap dongle which has a shitty connection speed, and TF2 took me about 8 hours. i live in the countryside though, but my house is thick stone which slows the signal and wrecks the speed. theres a lot of problems.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Basic match people, you should learn it.
Orange box is about 12 giga = 12 000 000 k, if your average download speed is 100k/second it will take 120 000 seconds, which is about 33 hours.
If your speed is half that then that time doubles, and so on.

For bigger games you might consider buying the physical version, especially if you are so fortunate to live in less developed parts of the world where they impose download limits.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Hamish Durie said:
Your australian right I think that has something to do with it since my download rate is 800 killerbites per second yet steam drops down to 30kbps

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
It depends on your connection.
Steam can go really fast if you've got really fast internet, but it won't go faster than what your provider allows.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
actually it fluxuates going from 120kb to 30kb also is that why it's loading slow because i'm in australia

Entrel

May 26, 2011
Shouldn't be that slow unless you live in a cave or suchlike. Now, you said you were downloading the orange box. If by that, you mean you're downloading TF2, Half-Life 2, HL2 Episodes 1 & 2 and Portal at the same time. No matter what your connection speed, trying to download 5 games at the same time will, believe it or not, divide it between all of them. For example, if your average connection speed was 5mbps-ish (something I can only dream of, living in a tiny little market town), each game would download at around 1mbps. Of course, anything else you do, like, say, starting threads asking why your download is taking so long, will further detract from the bandwidth available to each game, increasing the download time. Just sayin'.
The only thing I can recommend is to pause all but one of the downloads so that you can get one of the games a bit faster. I'd recommend HL2 first, as it's good and long and you'll be able to play that to pass the time while the others download.

*EDIT* might have taken a little too long to write that, but the post's still valid, methinks.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
Hamish Durie said:
actually it fluxuates going from 120kb to 30kb also is that why it's loading slow because i'm in australia
Which region/server are you using? I'm using Australia - NSW (Telstra) and I'm also getting somewhere between 40 - 120 KB/s.
I tried the Victoria one and for a while the max speed was 2 bytes/s. Seriously.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Hamish Durie said:
I live in Australia too and that's about the speed I usually get when downloading off of Steam. If you're really lucky some games may reach speeds of 300kbs but, I've noticed that this is a very rare speed when downloading through Steam.