Are the older XCOM titles worth checking out?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The Madman said:
I still prefer the old ones in terms of gameplay. How the hell a game approaching 20 years old still boasts more complex environments, gameplay, and even AI than a game released just last year blows my mind.
That's simple, (not good, but simple). Production costs are higher so more work is needed to implement identical features on a modern engine at a higher level of presentation quality.

And the other reason, largely a consequence of the high production cost is the fact that where the older games where relatively cheap could this be targets towards a niche audience, the new one, and big games in general have to focus more on quantity, and this much attention goes towards designing a game that will be easy to get into, easy to play, and appeal to the largest market possible.

Compared to most sequels / reboots, they did a fairly good job of staying true to the originals but nevertheless, those above factors still came into play and are why the experience is still 'limited' in comparison to one 20 years old.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
smearyllama said:
Master_Fubar23 said:
I personally still love the original xcom. I don't find it too complex but the only problem I have is that the interface is slow and clunky. If someone went and updated the interface so it doesn't take several seconds for the game to respond to a click then the game would be near perfect from that buff alone. Also has better endings than the new xcom :mad:
Yeah, the ending to Enemy Unknown was a load of crap, and the last level was terrible. A shame, too, what with the game being as incredible (albeit repetitive) as it was leading up to that point.
Ya, those endings ruined the game for me. Lose and you get a box saying to restart, win and get to watch shitty ending. Something I really liked about the first x-com was that in the final mission if you failed you got an actual ending not just a gameover screen.

Magnakai

Apr 11, 2013
I loved the originals back In the mid to late 90s. I long since gave up trying to play the originals though. In more recent years when I needed a Xcom fix I would boot the pretty decent clone on steam UFO: Extraterrestrials gold plays smooth, more game options, looks better but of course I have already played the crap out of the OG so... It may not be what your looking for it also has a completely different story.

superdavo

Sep 1, 2010
I wholeheartedly recommend playing the original. Either grab it from the internet or download DOSbox and set to work.

Clearing a terror mission with rocket launchers and plasma rifles? YES.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I honestly wouldn't bother.

The old games basically boil down to exercises in logistics.

There is much less difference between a veteran soldier and a new recruit then in the new game. (Veterans will aim a bit better and are less prone to panic. That's it.) So there's not as much incentive to keep your guys alive. Also, you can take like twenty soldiers on each mission.

The result of all that is that you win by throwing resources at the problem rather than any degree of tactical skill. From the mid-game onwards, battles are won by essentially lining your guys up at one end of the level and marching across it, leveling everything in the way. There's no real cover mechanic and the environment can be destroyed by small arms fire, so combat is a bit of a crap shoot. You win by having more guns and firing more bullets.

EDIT: Oh, if you do decide to play the original, look up the tech tree first. The game does a terrible job of presenting it and if you don't know which research leads to what you need first then chances are you'll just dither about and end up crippling yourself.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The first one, yes. It's an awesome game and hailed as one of the best PC games for a very good reason.

Terror from the Deep is basically a reskin of the first one with the difficulty cranked up to over 9000. Only play it if you've already played the original and are desperate for more.

Apocalypse is a very polarizing game. Some people swear by it, claiming it's as good or even better than the original, others think it's crap. I'm mostly in the second camp, but it might be worth a look.

The spinoffs (Interceptor, Enforcer) are crap, avoid like the bubonic plague.

The AfterSomething series of remakes (Aftermath, Aftershock, Afterlight, etc.) are mediocre at best, but can kinda scratch the itch if you've exhausted main franchise.

In short, play the first one, then see if you want more.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
UFO Defense is great. It'll take a while to get used to, but the horrible interface hides an incredibly tense and exciting game.

Do not touch Terror from the Deep with a ten foot pole. That game seems to have been designed for the kind of person who thought the hardest difficulty of UFO Defense was too easy for easy.