Are there any foreign-language games with subtitles?

samonix

Nov 17, 2009
Just watched jimquisition and it got me thinking, somewhat surprisingly.

I cannot think of one foreign game that has been released that has subtitles instead of dubbed audio. In fact, I can't think of one with dubbed audio that hasn't been reanimated for lip syncing.

I'm not complaining, dubbing is a good way to immerse people into your game, but the costs to do so must be huge. There has to be some games that kept their original language and opted for simple subtitles instead.

Foreign films are often released as a subtitles version and then dubbed later if sales are going well, if at all. I can't believe no publishers have ever tried this model of releasing.

Would you buy a game in another language? Most games have subtitles implemented as default, so you're reading them anyway; does it matter if you can't hear the same words that you're reading?

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
I may be wrong, but I think Magicka is voiced in Swedish but has English subtitles.

It doesn't matter in the least if I'm reading something different that I'm hearing. It bothers me far more to have lips not syncing up with words (Not usually a problem for video games)

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
You might be able to count Shadow of the Colossus, although I'm not entirely sure it's a real language they're speaking there...

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, Record of Agarest War (Zero). There are lots of games in foreign languages released with subtitles.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I think Shadow Of The Colossus did that... but that was because it used a made up language or something like that...

OT: Yeah I would buy a game if it had subtitles if there was no other option... I mean if I had a choice of getting it in Ingles I would but it doesn't bother me very much and I always have subs on anyway...<.<

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
The Dreamcast version of Shenmue II is voiced in Japanese with English subtitles, and in fact, several games since the Dreamcast days have had Japanese voices at the least as an option.

Fragile Dreams on the Wii is another game that's only Japanese with English subtitles. And for the better I say.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Nehrim a massive stand alone mod for Oblivion is in German with sub-titles.