Are there any games in which you found grinding fun?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
So simple question , is there any games where you enjoyed grinding ? I know theres a lot of people that grind in games be it for items or levels or whatever , but sometimes it's boring but we still do it for the sake of doing it , so my question is did you ever play a game where grinding was enjoyable?

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Star Ocean 2, I actually forgot objectives along the way cause I just had a blast fighting shit.
It's odd.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
Yeah, I loved grinding in GTA: Chinatown Wars, by drug dealing. I could play that game for hours and just do that, and it would still be fun for me.

Dec 14, 2009
Monster Hunter.

I don't mind fighting a Rathalos 25 times, cutting off it's tail and hoping for the 5% chance of gaining a Rath Plate.

Because it always feels worth it.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
Starcraft 2. It wasn't really grinding, it was more like waiting to launch my assault so I can build an absolutely ridiculous amount of troops. I don't stop building until it buttfucks the framerate ;P

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Just Cause 2, hands down.

I'm playing it now actually, and working through '100%-ing' the various villages, towns and cities, as well as all the military bases. I'm still very much enjoying blowing everything up, and hunting down all the resource packs.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can continue to roam around and collect things and do missions AFTER the 'main story' has been completed.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can think of 2 right off of the top of my head.

Saint's Row 2, in which every diversion you completely-complete, you gain a bonus weapon or power or something. Like if you get the best possible score in the sky-dive you never take damage from falling EVER AGAIN.

the other game?

FINAL FANTASY VIII!! You start out powerful enough but from the very first beaches of the very first area you can grind yourself to stupidly high stat levels. You can make yourself a near-God before the first disc is complete!

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
The main one would be Phantasy Star Online Ep 1/2 and Blue Burst. Have done many many runs of certain quests looking for items and still enjoy doing it

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Every fighting game ever. Each match is essentially the same thing with slightly different variables that you play over and over trying to become the best (like no one ever was). They're still kind of fun though.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
No. In no game I have ever plays has a task which could be refered to as grinding been fun.

Grinding involves the repeating of a single repeated action, usually for hours, without change, usually for little reward and usually no choice. No sane rational person could ever find this fun.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:

I'm playing it now actually, and working through '100%-ing' the various villages, towns and cities, as well as all the military bases. I'm still very much enjoying blowing everything up, and hunting down all the resource packs.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can continue to roam around and collect things and do missions AFTER the 'main story' has been completed.
Yes you can even do faction missions after main story is completed

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
AngelicSven said:
Star Ocean 2, I actually forgot objectives along the way cause I just had a blast fighting shit.
It's odd.
I agree. That game takes me back cuz I remember i had a pretty bad breakup (had to move) when i started playing it to kill what was now vast amounts of free time.

BURST KNUCKLE!

A lot of sandbox games are pretty good cuz the grinding is mixed up. Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Fallout games. So on and So on.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Does Deus Ex: Human Revolution count? Because I pretty much hacked everything for the experience, even when I had the code/ password.

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:

100%-ing is NOT grinding. It's tedious, to be sure, but it's not grinding.

Props for doing it though.

RomanceIsDead

Aug 19, 2011
Talshere said:
No. In no game I have ever plays has a task which could be refered to as grinding been fun.

Grinding involves the repeating of a single repeated action, usually for hours, without change, usually for little reward and usually no choice. No sane rational person could ever find this fun.
Your definition is off.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Minecraft. Both games I enjoy and don't mind Grinding resources.

To a lesser extent, Pokemon and Final Fantasy.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I rather enjoyed digging out entire cavern walls in Minecraft when I had a good podcast to listen to. And I had to carve up entire walls; how else would I get sufficient cobble stone to put into my furnace to make proper stone to build my big fuck-off castle walls?