Are there ANY good browser MMO's?

Feb 26, 2011
If you've spent ANY amount of time on the internet in the past few years, the odds of you seeing a banner ad with a skimpily clad woman and a caption trying pathetically to be 'provocative' or 'mature' are pretty high.

Considering I have far too much self-respect to ever CONSIDER clicking on something that lame, (Oh who am I kidding I have no self-respect, but STILL) here's what I want to know: Are any of these browser MMO's actually any GOOD?

And PLEASE keep Runescape jokes/rages/flames/faffing/whatever to a minimum?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I've only played one such game, and it turned out to pretty much just be a side-scrolling beat'em-up with a bunch of random players wandering around in it.

:p I do think it's funny that damn near every one of them does indeed have a banner that seems to be advertising free videogame sex (one ad I've seen specifically says "Click here to start a Roman Orgy!") with the nearly naked elves or whatever in the banner.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Urban Dead is pretty remarkable for what the users have made of it. (seriously, they invented a zombie language that's an actual, simple language. http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Zamgrh )

That being said, the browser MMO genre is pretty limited unless you're expecting it to be what's generally taken as a "full" MMO to be ported to the web browser (like Fiesta Online has been. Sort of.)

If you take the general limitations of the browser into consideration with game design, I think it poses some interesting challenges that can, with the right developers and community, result in some very interesting and unique experiences. Is it necessarily "Good" or "Bad"? I think that depends on the game to a degree, but mostly down to the individual. Plenty of people would also consider NetHack, one of the absolute best games in the Roguelike genre to be a terrible game because its drastically different to the games they enjoy.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ahem, are browser MMOs good? They are certainly addictive. Take this one [http://mmo.smbc-comics.com/] for example

Sorry, I can't contribute more there.