Are there any real-life issues that fiction SHOULDN'T address?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm with Tamis here: a total nope. I don't see why fiction shouldn't address a real-world topic just for being fiction.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Hell NO!

Just like there is nothing that should be off limits from jokes. Just like nothing should be off limits from criticism. Just like nothing should be off limits from speech. We should be able to tell stories about any subject.

Do you know why? Because all these things stimulate discussion of these topics. And that is a good thing.

Want an example?
Remember how 20 years ago no one really talked about gay people at all? How much progress to being accepted did that make? None. But by actually talking about them, we make them something people have to think about and have opinions on. By making something off limits, you make it so people don't have to confront it and it can stay in the shadows and fester.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Gengisgame said:
The popular and technical answer will be no, it should be open to anything.

The real answer is that all that really matters is whether people want to see it, your not going to get a childrens film from Disney about a reformed child molester who shows the townsfolk a leopard can change his spots, although you may get a low budget youtube channel that does this for a niche audience who like the idea of such a taboo premise.
I think I saw that in an episode of CSI. It involved an ex-child molester being framed, and then helping the investigators to find the real culprit.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Anything is open. However the issue should make sense within the story world in which it takes place.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
inu-kun said:
The heat death of the universe
It's funny you mention that. One of Issac Asimov's greatest short stories is entirely around the inevitable end of the universe. I highly recommend it:

http://multivax.com/last_question.html

OT: My answer is boring, but no, not really. I might not like it, but no FICTIONAL subject matter should be considered off limits for an adult audience, no matter how depraved.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Not in the slightest, but just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. I mean that purely as a writer should know what they can and can't handle and doing something out of your ability just to try and "improve" the work by adding something for edge value is stupid and likely to get you panned.
Gengisgame said:
The popular and technical answer will be no, it should be open to anything.

The real answer is that all that really matters is whether people want to see it, your not going to get a childrens film from Disney about a reformed child molester who shows the townsfolk a leopard can change his spots, although you may get a low budget youtube channel that does this for a niche audience who like the idea of such a taboo premise.
You will also get a full theatrical film starring Kevin Bacon.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Any story where evil xenos, mutants, and traitors are portrayed in a favorable light, or victorious. Such story telling is heresy, and the crafter of such foul insults to the God-Emperor should be put to death, and their works destroyed for the good of the Imperium.

...This is the greatest post I have ever read and I agree wholeheartedly

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
No, provided it's interesting. Sci-fi is all about presenting ideas in new ways. Nothing should be off limits.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
also, screw all this Imperium talk. I for one welcome the glorious simplicity of the Hive Mind.

And no, I'm not just saying that because I have a clawed third arm. Not at all.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
KissingSunlight said:
Bobular said:
I don't think anything should be off the table for fiction, but I do think somethings should be off the table for certain writers. If you're not going to handle a sensitive topic with the care it deserves (not including things like parody) then It should be took off you and you should sit in the corner.
I think this comment is floating into censorship territory. I have been reading reviews about the movie Bad Moms. A few critics were complaining that the movie was written by two men. Last month, I got into a debate with someone who said white people who express opinions that he disagrees with about the legal system are invalid. Because, black people are affected by the legal system. Disqualifying people different than you, because of their race and gender. Worse yet, when people of different race and gender expressing opinions or telling stories that you disagree with. I believe that is censorship. How would you feel if you express a thought about a different gender or race, and have people trying to shut you up for expressing it?
I meant it more like someone adding in a rape scene into a movie just to be edgy or having ethnic characters that talk in nothing but stereotypes. Yeah those things could add value to some works, but if handled poorly then it could end up just being offensive or out of place or make you look like you don't know what your on about. I don't think men can't write women or that whites can't write blacks, though you'll find examples where that is true (for example Frank Miller is renowned for not writing women well).

I remember reading one story where when one character was kidnapped she was raped by the bad guy, this never came up again and when that character is rescued she seems perfectly fine and the only point of it that I could see was to show that the bad guy was evil, which by this point he had already shown himself to be, or to make the story more "mature" or just for the authors fetishes. I've since read some other stories by the same author and whilst most don't have sex scenes in at all, the ones that did were really bad compared to the rest of the story so I just don't think this author can write that kind of stuff, I just didn't think he had the skill for it, he was awesome at showing the reactions characters had when they found a dead body, and the reaction when the main character caught the villain in the act of murder though so he had skills to cover other issues.

So whilst I don't think this particular author should handle rape topics I don't think that no one should, another author may have handled the same scene well but may have wrote the murder scene in a way that made me laugh instead of making me sympathise with the victim and also to the main character seeing it.

I'm no writer, I've rambled on and I still don't think I've got my point across well. Maybe I shouldn't write about this topic.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Bobular said:
I understand what you are saying. The author that you were describing sounds more like a bad writer. At least, someone who needs to be better at writing edgier materials.

My examples came from people who are invested in identity politics. I find those people annoying. They seems to be against equality. They are constantly advocating for certain groups to be treated differently than everyone else.

Interesting post script: I just came back from watching Bad Moms. The female ensemble cast was diverse and written with a lot of emotional complexity. However, the few male characters in the movie were just one-dimensional, under-written tropes. This was a movie written by two guys. Go figure.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Bobular said:
I meant it more like someone adding in a rape scene into a movie just to be edgy or having ethnic characters that talk in nothing but stereotypes. Yeah those things could add value to some works, but if handled poorly then it could end up just being offensive or out of place or make you look like you don't know what your on about.
More importantly, it could put people in danger or actively degrade their capacity to access justice.

Sexual assault (along with domestic violence and child abuse) is one of the most mythologised subjects around. People still believe or assume all kinds of things about it which aren't true, or which fixate on one tiny aspect of what's actually important in these events. (To a certain extent, this could apply to all kinds of things but these are particularly extreme examples).

Spreading misinformation or giving a biased portrayal of rape, DV or abuse isn't just "offensive" (although it is), it actively degrades the ability of people to respond or to make effective judgements. If you keep showing people a false or mythologised image of what these things look like, how are people supposed to recognise when the real thing happens to them, or to someone they know? How are police, who might be called on to respond to these events, supposed to know how to treat someone who comes in claiming to have been raped if their image of what rape is based on movies (which, amazingly, it often is.. even police, when tested, tend to display high levels of rape myth acceptance).

There's a danger in not talking about these things at all, either. Good media can save people's lives, it can help someone to recognise when they're in an abusive situation and to see it for what it is (and escape). It can help someone to realise that they're not alone. It can help someone to be more aware and to look more closely at situations around them which they might have missed or glossed over, but it can also perpetrate wrong assumptions which lead to bad judgements down the line, and those bad judgements can hurt and destroy people.

For the record, this isn't the same as the argument that violent games make you violent. Media doesn't "brainwash" us into behaving differently. Noone plays grand theft auto and suddenly goes out to steal a car, but media can shape our attitudes for better or for worse, and if you're a media creator you probably shouldn't be considering that as incidental to the product you're creating. It's part of it, and it's part of what will make it good or shit, remembered as a classic or dismissed as an insulting remnant of the popular ignorance of this era. I think that matters.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Vivid descriptions of my genitalia.

That would just be voyeuristic and unpleasant, as well as just creepy. Please don't. D:

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Vivid descriptions of my genitalia.

That would just be voyeuristic and unpleasant, as well as just creepy. Please don't. D:
Seconded, with an additional vote against some of the worst stuff that comes outta' Japan, the kinds of things that make you facepalm, shake your head, and go "God dammit, Japan...".

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Only if the author/creative team aren't capable enough to handle such subject matter.

For example, I started reading a Spider-Man comic (okay). It started first telling about a new drug(okay), but later the story focused on rape(what?) and incest(no). Whoever made the story just wasn't capable enough to handle such a heavy topic.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I can think of is work that's slanderous to a real living person.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Not really? Unless it's something so mundane and time wasting, like going for a long poop. The entirety of the scene...who wants to see that? Who even cares? Though I do worry about how these many fictional characters dispose of all their herbs, pies and potions after devoureration..are they in a state of eternal constipation?