Are there any real-life issues that fiction SHOULDN'T address?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Thing is, while typical media (cartoon, book, tv etc) maybe a form of escaping reality but it is not completely ignorant. It is NOT ignorant is bliss. Example Zootopia had the whole racism theme to the extent being somewhat similar to the whole cop shooting in the US.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Bobular said:
KissingSunlight said:
Bobular said:
I don't think anything should be off the table for fiction, but I do think somethings should be off the table for certain writers. If you're not going to handle a sensitive topic with the care it deserves (not including things like parody) then It should be took off you and you should sit in the corner.
I think this comment is floating into censorship territory. I have been reading reviews about the movie Bad Moms. A few critics were complaining that the movie was written by two men. Last month, I got into a debate with someone who said white people who express opinions that he disagrees with about the legal system are invalid. Because, black people are affected by the legal system. Disqualifying people different than you, because of their race and gender. Worse yet, when people of different race and gender expressing opinions or telling stories that you disagree with. I believe that is censorship. How would you feel if you express a thought about a different gender or race, and have people trying to shut you up for expressing it?
I meant it more like someone adding in a rape scene into a movie just to be edgy or having ethnic characters that talk in nothing but stereotypes. Yeah those things could add value to some works, but if handled poorly then it could end up just being offensive or out of place or make you look like you don't know what your on about. I don't think men can't write women or that whites can't write blacks, though you'll find examples where that is true (for example Frank Miller is renowned for not writing women well).

I remember reading one story where when one character was kidnapped she was raped by the bad guy, this never came up again and when that character is rescued she seems perfectly fine and the only point of it that I could see was to show that the bad guy was evil, which by this point he had already shown himself to be, or to make the story more "mature" or just for the authors fetishes. I've since read some other stories by the same author and whilst most don't have sex scenes in at all, the ones that did were really bad compared to the rest of the story so I just don't think this author can write that kind of stuff, I just didn't think he had the skill for it, he was awesome at showing the reactions characters had when they found a dead body, and the reaction when the main character caught the villain in the act of murder though so he had skills to cover other issues.

So whilst I don't think this particular author should handle rape topics I don't think that no one should, another author may have handled the same scene well but may have wrote the murder scene in a way that made me laugh instead of making me sympathise with the victim and also to the main character seeing it.

I'm no writer, I've rambled on and I still don't think I've got my point across well. Maybe I shouldn't write about this topic.
Good story that contained rape: Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Handled extremely well, was not a particularly central part of the plot, but a part of it still. Great stuff, good story.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
The Tau are nothing but another foul Xenos species, galactic rats that will one day be purged so that the God-Emperor's blessed light may fill the entirety of the galaxy. The Milky Way is humanity's rightful home, and there is no room for the twisted, imperfect form of the Tau.

Long live the Emperor!

You talk a big talk, bruv, but your avatar is still some bastardized Steiner-Davion crossbreed that makes me sick to my stomach anytime I see it. Put your money where your mouth is and put on a proper Omnissiah skull!

On topic: Germ warfare, maybe? I know that such things have been depicted in fictional media before but there's just something innately horrible about a nation organizing and executing a bio-weapon attack on another nation. Turns my guts, it does.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Silverbeard said:
AccursedTheory said:
The Tau are nothing but another foul Xenos species, galactic rats that will one day be purged so that the God-Emperor's blessed light may fill the entirety of the galaxy. The Milky Way is humanity's rightful home, and there is no room for the twisted, imperfect form of the Tau.

Long live the Emperor!

You talk a big talk, bruv, but your avatar is still some bastardized Steiner-Davion crossbreed that makes me sick to my stomach anytime I see it. Put your money where your mouth is and put on a proper Omnissiah!
You dare besmirch the name of House Davion? I should riddle you with autocannon shells!

As for the 'crossbreed,' I'm a Davion man myself, but I gave half of my avatar space up in honor of MarsAtlas, a fallen poster.

Long live House Davion. Long live House Steiner! And where ever you may be MarsAtlas, either elsewhere or shamelessly ban jumping (Which I obviously don't condone. Obviously), long live you!

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
1981 said:
No. But timing is important. I agree with what's said about e.g. United 93.
What was said about United 93? I skipped that movie, because I thought it was propaganda. I am not a conspiracy nut. I do believe that United 93 was shot down by the Air Force. They made up the story to hide that truth.
Personally, I believe the story that UA93 passengers tried to commandeer the flight, after the hijackers took control.

Simply because we're talking about a country with the most convoluted Intelligence-organ ever, led by Dubya.

A country that has two armies (US Army, USMC), three navies (US Navy, USMC, USCG), and five air forces (USAF, USMC, US Navy, US Army, USCG), not to mention three intelligence agencies (CIA, DIA, NSA) that I know of, and the FBI which is essentially an internal intelligence agency, all of whom are trying to trip each other up, and get to be the "hero of the day", and is led by the "Clown from Connecticut" (although he speaks like he's from the south), is not a country that's capable of such a coordinated strike (not even on its own territory).

There's way too many moving parts for such an op to actually work out (let alone without large numbers spilling the beans to the press).