Are there any single player games you like to play with friends and pass the controller around?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
As the title says are there any single player games you like to play with friends by passing the controller around?

For me it's Until Dawn, there are breaks in the action and you switch characters often enough that it's very easy to find places to switch and it's cool deciding what to do and going through the story together.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I've played death for death with friends in Dark Souls.
It's pretty fun mixing up peoples different play styles on a single character and talking shit trying to get them killed.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I used to do that all the time with Castlevania, Megaman and other NES games as a kid. We switched places after beating a level or losing one life.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Back in the day, Worms: Armageddon on the Dreamcast comes to mind. Multiplayer relied on one controller, so we had to pass it around as our turns alternated.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's basically how I prefer playing online multiplayer shooters. As in, that exact formula is how I got into CoD

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Some friends and I do that with XCOM. We each take command of one specific soldier and treat it kind of like a DnD game.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The first game I remember doing this with was Driver 1- playing Survival over and over and seeing who could last the longest

But after that we'd go on GTA 3-SA rampages in turns, too

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Squilookle said:
The first game I remember doing this with was Driver 1- playing Survival over and over and seeing who could last the longest

But after that we'd go on GTA 3-SA rampages in turns, too
Yeah, my friends and I would do a challenge in GTA:SA that involved starting on Grove street, getting at least a 3 star wanted level before you left Los Santos, and then maintaining a 3 or higher star level on a chase through Angel Pine, San Fierro, Las Venturas, and then back to Grove street. Even doing it at 3 stars is pretty tough, I managed a 4 once.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Despite both my buddy and I being equally massive cowards when it came to survival horror games, we got a kick out of seeing each scared shitless, so we?d wait until dark, turn off all the lights in his house, crank up his surround sound and pass the controller back and forth playing survival horror games, passing the controller at each change in level or area or whenever the chicken-shit playing needed a break.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I played Hotline Miami with friends, passing the controller every time we died. It was a more enjoyable experience...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I wish I could say I had one, but that requires friends that you can physically hangout with.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I know this game fell out of relevance what with the release of the Switch, but I do this with Super Mario Maker and the 100 Mario challenge fairly often with some friends. It's something that people of like all age groups do, so if I have family over its fun to have the 'kiddos' watch the 'oldies' fail at Mario levels

Of course most of the levels suck because they are made by eight-year-olds, but occasionally you'll get some good ones

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Until Dawn is good. Fighters with a story mode work. Racing games with challenges work well - PGR style.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I played shining force and SF2 like this.

Wed take half the party each and pass the controller around.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
A friend and I did this with Binding of Isaac, switching over after a death/finished run. Though this led to me unlocking a lot of stuff for him, which might've been the point.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Weresquirrel said:
Some friends and I do that with XCOM. We each take command of one specific soldier and treat it kind of like a DnD game.
Thats actually really cool.

What do you do if one of you gets injured and has to sit the next mission out? Or do you not attach yourself to specific characters?

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
Weresquirrel said:
Thats actually really cool.

What do you do if one of you gets injured and has to sit the next mission out? Or do you not attach yourself to specific characters?
It depends. Sometimes we'd each have a back up squaddie to use in case of injury/death, or someone might chose to use whatever they called tanks (can't remember off the top of my head). Other times the soldier'd be off for so little time it might not even be necessary.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sure, when I get together and we play SNES games (DK, Mario, Yoshi, Punch Out) we pass the controller around upon death.