Are there any TRUE spy games?

Ardure

Nov 23, 2009
Nice thing about Hitman is that it is as stealth like as you want it to be... granted I know it still does not fit what you are exactly looking for. Just saying you can play that entire game without even using a gun... I have certainly tried... granted shooting is the easiest way... also the most boring.

Personally I always liked putting mines in the food and killing the targets that way... but I have always had a thing for mines... according to my brother I am the only one he has ever seen that has used a mine as an offensive weapon in Fallout 3 =)

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Chiefmon said:
"dealing with different objectives at the same time and infiltrating buildings, not by shooting the guards, but by either grabbing a clipboard and claiming to be a building inspector or by crawling through the air ducts? I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any shooting, but the killing should be less shooting and more 'oh god someone's coming where do I hide the body?'

I'm tired of games that slap a stealth mechanic on a shooter and claim that it's a Spy game. Are there ANY true spy games?
Hold on a second. Which splinter cell games are you refering to? Because the first 3 splinter cell titles (and to a good extent the fourth double agent) very much allow you to do this, with the exception of the the disguise mechanic. the hitman games would be more appropriate for this taste.
If your shooting in splinter cell games, your doing it wrong. Ignore conviction, it is a pile of dog shit

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
How about Velvet Assassin? Wasn't that a thief-y sort of game based around the actions of a female spy in ww2?

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
We still have hitman series even though im very skeptical about the newer one coming out.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
prophecy2514 said:
Hold on a second. Which splinter cell games are you refering to? Because the first 3 splinter cell titles (and to a good extent the fourth double agent) very much allow you to do this, with the exception of the the disguise mechanic. the hitman games would be more appropriate for this taste.
I'd argue against that in the first game, if only because if its incredibly linear design. Chances were you weren't in a vent because you wanted to be, you were because it was the one path open to you.

As for stealth games, very few fit the bill. NOLF could be argued, playing both as a Bond film and parody of one albeit lacking the diplomacy engagements one would expect. Syndicate (the Original) and Shadowrun (either Genesis or SNES) could also be argued to an extent.

Though honestly when you said spy game, the first thing that popped into me head was Uplink. But that's no where near what you want.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I'm tempted to say Alpha Protocal (think Deus Ex crossed with Splinter Cell).
The guns are so crappy in that game, you have no joice but to shoot as few people as you can. Too bad there are some instances where you have to kill people but there's normally a way around it--like paying some guy to hide a huge sniper rifle on roof over looking an ambush that doesn't show up until the very end of the mission.
I remember there was one mission where I got through most of it tranquing FBI agents (to see if I could mostly), and was heading for the door when some reinforcements showed up. I knocked out all but the last guy, who I decided to shoot in the face. No consequence? Not until I got to the end of the game where I was completely locked out of the best possible 'good' ending because that one kill put me on the FBI most-wanted or something like that.

EDIT:
If all else fails, Evil Genius.
Really fun and really challenging.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Deshara said:
Chiefmon said:
Deshara said:
Tf2

Edit before ban: Also, spying isn't actually interesting. It's incredibly boring. It's not just like paperwork, but IS paperwork. We've simply allowed ourselves to believe that James Bond is a series about a spy, and not just "British bastard fucks foreign chicks and then kills them"
Here's the thing. I want that. Not the paperwork, but keeping up a facade as I try to inch closer to the secrets I seek. Walking into a building with nothing but my false identity. Having to avoid some, blend with others, and holding my breath whenever someone suspects me. The idea that IF my disguise fails, I'm doomed. It's the tension that I want.

Eh. As an excersise in an International Relations class, we actually had a retired spy come in and spend two classes with us, and it's not interesting in the super secret hidden identity kind of way, but usually in the "they know you're there and don't actually care enough to stop you and have to face the consquences that would bring," kind of way. International relations have gotten to a really weird point... Anywho, a game about upholding a false identity would be really cool :) It's just that "true spy" isn't that interesting.

Captcha was "one hit wonder". Captcha's been talking to my ex :(
In terms of the IR stuff. I agree up to a certain point. The goal of counter-espionage is not to arrest the int officer, but to follow him around uncover his network and arrest the people in your own government/institutions that are giving him information. Or plant false information. When you start getting into the meta game it does get interesting. The majority of the stuff where you push papers around would only be mildly interesting depending on what the information on the paper is :p

I too have always wanted a spy game like OP. Shooting means that there was someone there. You might have won the mission but lost the campaign as you now exposed yourself. There is potential, but I have a feeling it would be more of a niche game than anything else.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Rakun Man said:
You can play Deus Ex: Human Revolution via stealth, finding alternative routes, hacking, and persuasion. It may not fit your bill perfectly, but I think it does a pretty nice job.
I think it works, especially because there's a way (glitch/exploit/whatever) to kill all but one* of the bosses without firing a shot.

*not counting the last part of the last boss

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'm just going to throw In Cold Blood out there. It is where BLOPS stole it's story structure from but it is a fairly tense spy game, more Bond than Le Carre though.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
Thats how I play hitman.

I played the american suburb mission of hitman blood money by sedating doughnuts putting ether on panties to knock out perverted FBI agents and dressing up as the pool boy to get the target upstairs and knick her necklace.Not a shot was fired and i got away with it. I think a lot of people assume that just because hitman gives you guns that you are supposed to use them but if you are going for silent assassin there are a wide variety of imaginative and creative ways to finish the missions.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
BATMAN! You think I'm joking, just imagine Batman is a spy from the year 4012 in Arkham Asylum and you more or less have your Spy game.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I really can't think of any. You know after playing the Agent in Old Republic I have become interested in playing a spy game too.

I sense an untapped market...

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I'm sorry if this is not helpful or redundant, but you really need to play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory >>>>>on Hard<<<<< if you have not already. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. On hard mode, you have to find alternatives to combat just to get by. Additionally, you are scored based on how many alarms you set off, how many guards you are forced to neutralize, and how many bodies, open doors, flipped light-switches, and so on are discovered. To get a perfect score it must be like you were never there. There are large levels with multiple objectives to be completed in any order, in addition to optional objectives. You have the option to choose different equipment loadouts, but believe me you will only want the loadout that gives you stealth gadgets over firepower. If you're looking for a spy game that makes you shout "fuck!" and start over every time you trigger an alarm, this is the game for you.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Chiefmon said:
Deshara said:
Tf2

Edit before ban: Also, spying isn't actually interesting. It's incredibly boring. It's not just like paperwork, but IS paperwork. We've simply allowed ourselves to believe that James Bond is a series about a spy, and not just "British bastard fucks foreign chicks and then kills them"
Here's the thing. I want that. Not the paperwork, but keeping up a facade as I try to inch closer to the secrets I seek. Walking into a building with nothing but my false identity. Having to avoid some, blend with others, and holding my breath whenever someone suspects me. The idea that IF my disguise fails, I'm doomed. It's the tension that I want.
Um, I guess TF2 probably is the closest to what you want then, especially if you play the Capture the Briefcase objectives. Sneaking into the other base while disguised and trying to act like a foe can be pretty tension filled, especially if you have pyros bombing around.

Guybythestreet

May 31, 2009
Chiefmon said:
Deshara said:
Tf2

Besides a huge portion of intel being gathered through hacking and drones and networks of people who sit around instead of one guy who works his way from point A to point B your game sounds like more social interaction sim. Sneaking around via a secret identity sounds like you want a game where you have to choose the correct lies to keep your cover. There might be a slight bit of stealth but not much more than looking out for anyone while you run some info search program from a usb that you plugged into a computer.

While that game doesn't appeal to me I see how it can appeal to other people - but more directly to your first post: I don't think such a videogame exists. Pencil and Paper roleplaying games can have these scenarios all day long. But I don't know of any videogames where that social sneakiness is the main part of the game.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Though honestly when you said spy game, the first thing that popped into me head was Uplink. But that's no where near what you want.
Nice to know I'm not the only one that thought of Uplink, even if it doesn't quite fit the bill.

EDIT: Typos.