Are Videogames Making Kids Smarter?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Video games can help kids learn. Though they're not as effective as going to the class room, and they aren't the end all and be all of educational tools. That said, if someone could harness the potential video games have as educational tools...

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I wonder what kind of article they'd write if they would take a look at Maplestory, Runescape and Ragnarok Online. They'd probably write an article about gaming destroying the vocabulary of children or something similar.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
My dad is the manager of a library in Sydney and he bought Xbox's for people to play and games for people to borrow free of charge. Yeah... things get stolen and publishes don't let you give away games for free anymore so that kinda didn't work out. Was fun getting free games though.

As for games making people smarter, maybe it could happen but I think videogames ruin test scores and grade cards more than they help them, especially the addictive ones.

Shajinn

Apr 6, 2008
I´ve always said that videogames make people smarter but noone´s been listening to me....

Things I learned from videogames:

-most of my English
-a few German words
-where to put goddamn accents (<- spelling?) in French
-lots of History, Geography and even Physics
-never punch exploding barrels while shotgun wielding zombies are shooting you on Mars´ moons
-I guess some games of the strategy and tactics genres trained my maths skills too

I should add that I´m playing since I´m four and therefor probably had more potential for learning from games than people who start in their teen years.

As for using them to lure innocent kids into libraries...
I´m absolutely in favor of it, even if it doesn´t work (it probably won´t, but hey, everything that tries to make people read more should be supported).

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
Shajinn said:
I´ve always said that videogames make people smarter but noone´s been listening to me....

Things I learned from videogames:

-most of my English
-a few German words
-where to put goddamn accents (<- spelling?) in French
-lots of History, Geography and even Physics
-never punch exploding barrels while shotgun wielding zombies are shooting you on Mars´ moons
-I guess some games of the strategy and tactics genres trained my maths skills too

I should add that I´m playing since I´m four and therefor probably had more potential for learning from games than people who start in their teen years.

As for using them to lure innocent kids into libraries...
I´m absolutely in favor of it, even if it doesn´t work (it probably won´t, but hey, everything that tries to make people read more should be supported).
What he said, I'll second that :p

For me at least, video games probably had a more significant impact on my health, i.e my hands. I once needed physiotherapy, but when I got a Playstation the problems vanished in a few short months.

Oh, and I also know various words in Russian, German and French now. I take history and physics with a pinch of salt though, because if I based my physics on the Burnout series then if ever I saw a car hitting a kerb or lightly denting another, they would invariably somersault ten feet into the air in a fireball. Awesome, sure, but not real.