Are Vita Devs Already Jumping Ship?

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Susse said:
You can claim that it's just the news and the news doesn't lie. But the Vita hasn't been fully released around the world or had the time to gestate and get platform to build on.
Which doesn't preclude this being true, because devs don't always wait for the full picture. Especially when losses are an issue.

Wait for it to fail then dam it for not being the best thing ever.
Damn. Unless you want them to build a device to stop water. In which case, you were right.

Still, this hardly reads as damnation. Perhaps you're looking too much into it?

Also, not sure if this is a "Grey" thing, but since it's being covered around the web (And the Escapist was one of the first places I saw anything to address the rumour, which is effectively disputing the rumour), I have trouble seeing how Grey writing the story makes it any less valid, even if he has some vendetta.
The great irony is that, despite the fact morons continue to inerpret coverage of negative events as evidence of "teh bias," I'm actually very excited about the Vita. I'm particularly looking forward to the next installment of Resistance.
Though I am a proud moron I didn't mean to attack your credibility. It's just after seeing so many negative minute news stories about every shortcoming of the handheld over the last few months but it still getting fairly good reviews. It has started to seem that people have taken up ragging on something that hasn't had a fair go yet.

Maybe I should have cottoned on to the fact you reported on more of the breaking "hey vita isn't going amazing" stories because you were following the launch.

Well this is the Internet and having a whinge about anything doesn't get anywhere or change the fact that people think differently so sorry.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
JackWestJr said:
I agree with Dr.Susse on this one; shouldn't we wait until thing has actually been released in a country apart from Japan before we start hammering it?
I for one, absolutely love my Vita, it is beautiful, and I am glad that I purchased it. Also I know more people in real life who have bought, have pre-order, or plan on buying the vita than the number of people I have seen on here talking about how bad it is.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Yes, yes that's right my pretties... come over to the dark side, make your beautiful games for the 3DS instead...

Please, just let me justify my purchase!

Seriously though, by all accounts the PSP didn't do all that well whereas the DS was an absolute success. What makes Sony think things will be any different this time?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Here are my reasons why I would never get a Vita.

-Price. It's the same price as a brand new PS3. Is it better? Not to me. It has its advantages and disadvantages over the PS3. But I'm pretty sure that if given the choice, most newcomers would buy a PS3.

-Not backwards compatible. Sure, you can download some games. But what about my old games? What am I supposed to do with them? Am I suppose to sell them and get like 50 bucks for all of it? No, sir.
And I know this not-backwards-compatible thing isn't new. But companies usually give us time to get over that fact. Like the old 360s, like the clunky PS3s, like the original PS2 did, like the 3DS, like the first Wii models...

-Very few exclusive titles. See, the only reason I was gonna buy a 3DS was for Megaman Legends 3 (And we know how that turned out...). The only good, exclusive title I can think of is Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The others are adaptations of games already out: ModNation Racers, UMvC3, Final Fantasy X (Which I love, but still),Disgaea 3...Sure the 3DS had a horrible launch-up selection of games, but at least they were planning on releasing better titles: Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil Revelaitons Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, etc. I'm not saying those games are amazing and life changing, but at least they learned from their mistakes: They lowered their 3DS price, they gave away free games, etc. Which brings me to...

-They're too proud to learn from their mistakes. Look at the PS3; it's the most expensive console out there (360: $200, Wii: $150). Sure, it's a blu-ray player and it has some exclusive titles (Hey, I'm a PS lover!), but when people are asked what console to get, they usually go for the 360, simply because of the price tag. I see it at work everyday.

It's still too early to say if the Vita sucks or not. We'll see. But for now, I say it's not doing as bad as the 3DS when it was released, but its future doesn't look as bright as the 3DS's. So far.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
Beautiful End said:

-Price. It's the same price as a brand new PS3. Is it better? Not to me. It has its advantages and disadvantages over the PS3. But I'm pretty sure that if given the choice, most newcomers would buy a PS3.

-Not backwards compatible. Sure, you can download some games. But what about my old games? What am I supposed to do with them? Am I suppose to sell them and get like 50 bucks for all of it? No, sir.
And I know this not-backwards-compatible thing isn't new. But companies usually give us time to get over that fact. Like the old 360s, like the clunky PS3s, like the original PS2 did, like the 3DS, like the first Wii models...

-Very few exclusive titles. See, the only reason I was gonna buy a 3DS was for Megaman Legends 3 (And we know how that turned out...). The only good, exclusive title I can think of is Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The others are adaptations of games already out: ModNation Racers, UMvC3, Final Fantasy X (Which I love, but still),Disgaea 3...Sure the 3DS had a horrible launch-up selection of games, but at least they were planning on releasing better titles: Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil Revelaitons Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, etc. I'm not saying those games are amazing and life changing, but at least they learned from their mistakes: They lowered their 3DS price, they gave away free games, etc. Which brings me to...

-They're too proud to learn from their mistakes. Look at the PS3; it's the most expensive console out there (360: $200, Wii: $150). Sure, it's a blu-ray player and it has some exclusive titles (Hey, I'm a PS lover!), but when people are asked what console to get, they usually go for the 360, simply because of the price tag. I see it at work everyday.

It's still too early to say if the Vita sucks or not. We'll see. But for now, I say it's not doing as bad as the 3DS when it was released, but its future doesn't look as bright as the 3DS's. So far.
Why not just keep your PSP and play it when you want to play old titles? Backwards compatibility is nice, but you don't have to sell your old system.

I remember seeing this kind of article about the 3DS when a few developers went under, though that was at a different site. I wonder if it's that same sort of thing; slight sensationalism.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
I'm having huge Deja Vu reading this...it's almost like it's happened before...
>.> it could be happening a bit faster then last time to.

but i stand by what i said before, charging me to play games i already own?(PS3s backwards comparability) fuck you Sony

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yukichin said:
Beautiful End said:

Why not just keep your PSP and play it when you want to play old titles? Backwards compatibility is nice, but you don't have to sell your old system.

I remember seeing this kind of article about the 3DS when a few developers went under, though that was at a different site. I wonder if it's that same sort of thing; slight sensationalism.
Exactly.

As an average consumer, I want the latest. I want the Vita because it's new and it looks pretty. But like you said, I don't NEED it. I can keep my PSP and still be happy with my own titles.

See, the Vita is not giving me enough reasons to ditch my PSP and buy it. When the PS3 came out, I didn't feel like getting one for many different reasons. But years later, when they added new games and features, I knew it was time to move on and let go of my PS2. And I'm happy about it.

I think that is the Vita's current problem. The 3DS got over that problem wonderfully. Late, but they did anyway. But...we'll have to wait and see for the Vita.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
Beautiful End said:
Yukichin said:
Beautiful End said:

Exactly.

As an average consumer, I want the latest. I want the Vita because it's new and it looks pretty. But like you said, I don't NEED it. I can keep my PSP and still be happy with my own titles.

See, the Vita is not giving me enough reasons to ditch my PSP and buy it. When the PS3 came out, I didn't feel like getting one for many different reasons. But years later, when they added new games and features, I knew it was time to move on and let go of my PS2. And I'm happy about it.

I think that is the Vita's current problem. The 3DS got over that problem wonderfully. Late, but they did anyway. But...we'll have to wait and see for the Vita.
I think I feel largely the same. I do want a Vita. There are a few games announced for it that I want: Gravity Rush, Persona 4: The Golden, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, and the eventual Bioshock game. But that's not quite enough at this point to justify me buying the system at the price it's at, even though I did the same for the 3DS.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grey Carter said:
The great irony is that, despite the fact morons continue to inerpret coverage of negative events as evidence of "teh bias," I'm actually very excited about the Vita. I'm particularly looking forward to the next installment of Resistance.
Excited? Looking forward to?

STOP HATING ON THE VITA!!!

...Sorry, I couldn't resist.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I never got a PSP, the only person I knew that had one sold his. He had originally had the old DS, sold it, got psp, hated it, and sold it for a newer DS.

I've had a DS lite for a long time. I had no interest in the giant DS, or the DSi, or now the 3DS. Graphics are the least important part of a handheld system to me. I hate 3D in general, whether it is movies or games or tv, it just turns me off.

I don't need a system that can run dumbed down ps3/wii games. I don't need 1 touch screen let alone 2. I don't need thumbsticks.

I DO need backwards compatibility which is why I still have a DS that plays GBA games. If it could also play old gameboy games I would totally be playing Crystalis and Shadowgate right now.

As long as there are 2D castlevania, kirby, starfy, metroid, and Professor Layton games I'll have the system that can play them.

The trouble with the handheld market is that there is a definite imbalance of hardware. DS has 2 screens and so it gets games that only work with that hardware. Its smart, and they can have a little bit of breathing room in releasing newer versions of it.

PSP had UMDs and they wanted you to watch full blown movies on your psp and hoped to start a new standard in recorded media. It failed epically. Then they had a new version where you download the games called the GO or something, I don't really know because psp news is pretty far below my radar. I get that it failed to GO anywhere though.

While sony has been trying about as successfully as SEGA to put out some new hardware that anyone wants, when they have only a handful of decent games to back it up, Apple and cellphone manufacturers have been taking most of the market away.

They are in a far better position to put out new hardware practically every few months, that does far more than play games. They also have apps and way way more games than sony and nintendo combined. Its become like the PC used to be.

While I don't have a smart phone, because I barely use my phone as it is since I have the internet, I see all my friends constantly playing angry birds etc whenever they can. Pretty much all the time. People always have their phones with them, well people other than me, and so it makes more sense to play games on it.

For the price of a vita, they could get an ipad (I think) and have access to a bajillion apps and games for mere pennies. I've never played uncharted, but I have to assume its not as good as a bajillion other things.

sky_rider19

Mar 16, 2011
Yopaz said:
Angry Juju said:
I'm a little uneducated on the Vita and why it's doing so bad.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why it's such a bad handheld? when they showed it at E3 everyone seemed to love it...
It got a slow start just like the 3DS and the DS. It's too early to say if it's really a flop to be honest.
Agreed. This is pretty much deja vu from last year. But I'm trying to remember, did the DSi outsell the 3DS the first few months it was released? Because That is the biggest difference between the two systems.

Perspicacity

Dec 31, 2011
I will freely admit that I don't closely follow console releases but when I look back at other releases there was no speculation as I recall about is the wii gonna suck? or will the X Box flop? the simple fact that there is room to speculate is enough for me to say no thanks to the Vita. Granted this may seem like an irrational view on its own, but there are enough confirmed facts about the vita for me to have already been on the fence anyway, this is just the scale tipper. What I see is the media saying "The vita suck and will fail," so people say, "well in that case I'm not buying one," sails slump dev's bail (they will if they haven't already) and the platform dies. This much bad press will likely kill the vita weather its any good or not and as demonstrated thus far, there are plenty of people all over the internet with cogent arguments that in fact it is not.

I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned the Vita's biggest failing, it is trying to compete in not one but two markets at the same time, and right now most people have enough difficulty choosing between the I phone and the Samsung Galaxy how many do you think will even add the Vita to there list of choices? I won't, and lets not just talk about the present but the future. The only thing that has proven to go obsolete faster than gaming platforms are cell phones and they combined the two. It'll have the technological equivalent of progeria, simply put; it'll get old fast. It has to worry about being pushed out by a better hand held or a better smart phone entering the market and it's already got plenty of tough competition on both fronts as it is. Sony is trying to do to much and it will cost them and anyone who buys a vita . How do I know? I don't need to see "The Room" to know it's a bad movie, some times you can just tell.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Most systems have a weak launch and comparatively low confidence (I'm still not happy with my 3DS offerings, though confidence for that system is finally picking up), though even I'm not willing to write off the Vita as a viable platform just yet.

Sony posted losses? So has Nintendo, so why hasn't everyone bailed on them too?

k0n9

Apr 15, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Most systems have a weak launch and comparatively low confidence (I'm still not happy with my 3DS offerings, though confidence for that system is finally picking up), though even I'm not willing to write off the Vita as a viable platform just yet.

Sony posted losses? So has Nintendo, so why hasn't everyone bailed on them too?
Maybe because Sony is already in debt, and Nintendo isn't?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
k0n9 said:
Maybe because Sony is already in debt, and Nintendo isn't?
Except Nintendo is in the worst position (financially) they've been in 30 years. Still in the black, but that could change at the rate they were going (I suspect they're doing a bit better now than when their last financial posting, but that's strictly my guess).

Sony has always been a bit more "swingy" in their postings since they invest and develop more than just games. Failure elsewhere (like their 3D TVs...*cough*) in the company doesn't necessarily mean their gaming division is failing on its own.

Personally, I don't want a Vita simply because I don't trust Sony to not try to lock me in a tighter DRM box (digital distributions let them do that. they can't take away my UMDs) but even that won't keep me from guessing that the Vita will simply have a slow start.

Last I checked, we were still stuck in the same shitty economy, and people don't have as much disposable income to burn on a new, unproven system. They will trail the 3DS, and I think they have the potential to match it...if only Sony would just pull their head out of their ass some more.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I don't understand all the hate surrounding different consoles. Isn't it all about being entertained? So what if people like Microsoft, or Nintendo, or Sony. I happen to be a fan of all 3 franchises. I have already pre-ordered and paid off my Vita, and intend to play it as much as i can. For me, playing video games is less about which entertainment mogul is selling what for how much, its more about what makes me happy. Seriously, its video games. Not Video flame wars. Thats my 2 cents anyways.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Angry Juju said:

Can someone please enlighten me as to why it's such a bad handheld? when they showed it at E3 everyone seemed to love it...
It's not doing bad, Sony knew that the PSP is still selling well in Japan whereas it kind of flopped here, so their focus was selling it here first, hence the plethora of western titles, and no jrpgs. They expect it not to sell well in Japan for a while until the Japanese style games start to come out.
Look up the sales data, the PSP sold equally across all 3 regions. The PSP did very well in the US at first but since piracy became so huge 3rd party developers lost interest. As a result, so did the consumers.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
Look up the sales data, the PSP sold equally across all 3 regions. The PSP did very well in the US at first but since piracy became so huge 3rd party developers lost interest. As a result, so did the consumers.
To be fair, piracy was secondary to the main reason I didn't bother buying many PSP games: painful controls for any game requiring a 3D camera. Impracticality/useability issues will trump piracy every time, since even the pirates can't work around that.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Yopaz said:
Angry Juju said:

It got a slow start just like the 3DS and the DS. It's too early to say if it's really a flop to be honest.
The DS did not have a slow start actually. 3DS did, Im actually kinda shocked to see its selling the way it is: there are next to no games out for it. And a most of its good stuff is already available, in 2D, on the N64.

The Vita boasts power, but nothing really innovation worthy. Its a Playstation controller with a screen. It costs money to utilize that power: something the handheld market doesnt really want. The Gameboy and DS lines have sold well because you can get good games published fast.

Anyways, the PSP had a weak launch - just ride it out.