Are you a completionist?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mostly no. The only time I able to get a 100% completion is when it is easy to do achieve it.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Really depends on the game. LEGO Star Wars and the sequels, I make sure to complete to 100% and games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and SpiderMan: Shattered Dimensions, I'll pick my way through towards 100% but probably never reach it. Other games, BioShock for example, I'll play enough to finish the campaign (and not necessarily even the final boss) and just watch the three endings on YouTube.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Achievements are so retarded.
Have fun playing your games (and ruining your memories) for imaginary proverbial hamster food....

The only way in which I AM a perfectionist is in terms of exploring areas, I will say that. But that's mostly out of curiosity and respect to the developers; not for arbitrary trophies and scores.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I'll do everything available in one playthrough. I just can't bring myself to play a 40 hour game all over again with some minor changes for some trophy or whatever. I also hate when the hardest difficulties aren't available on my first try. WHY? Why would anyone do everything all over again, but harder when I could have done it like that in the first place.

steevee

Apr 16, 2008
I'm not great with replaying games. The only one I'm near 100% on is Fallout 3.

Otherwise I just have trouble motivating myself.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
No, not really. I might look at them and if some achievements seem possible without a massive time commitment (Tame Snowflake in Dead Rising 2 comes to mind) than I'll give it a shot for fun. I can't afford new games all the time. I got a mortgage.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
It really depends. I used to be but now-a-days I tend to answer no. Is this because games have gotten longer and my time to play them shorter? Possibly but thats probably not the full answer. What I think is that my gamestyle has shifted. That shift now compels me to be a completionist only if the game has actually made me think or plan strategically while playing? Its really hard to see with my xbox live profile since i didnt get XBL until i got the new wireless xbox so all of my games look more or less untouched, but let me assure you that somewhere there is a xbox fat that reflects my statements. The only game I can really show for this is Oblivion. In oblivion prior to playing I planned my character out intricately. And because of this I have played the game to near completion (completion in my book bc you need to have a second save file to get all the trophies bc of a pair of choice trophies in game during one of the missions).

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Yes, to the extent that I'm still having fun.

- I won't try to purchase every property in Fable 2
- I won't try and sink the 360 ships with Elizabeth in Civ 5

I will play through a game in full, and often accomplish many achievements...but anything that relates to sheer monotony is not worth my time. I've done full completion on a handful of games..and it is typically not worth the effort.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Absolutely. But it comes with being an achievement addict. I'll play a game for days, even weeks, just to get every single achievement. Not to brag, but i was badass enough to get 200G in Perfect Dark (The original from XBLA) and anyone who's had a go at those crowns or certain challenges in the combat simulator knows how ball-busting that can be.

I think it might also stem from a slight perfectionist nature i have, though oddly it's a very specific type of perfectionism. For example, i suppose i show perfectionist tendencies when it comes to grammar (I know, i refuse to capitalise 'i' in the middle of a sentence, but old habits die hard) and video games, but i'm not overly fussed about my appearance or keeping my desk tidy. Instead i have a 'tidy mess' where only i know where everything is and get pissed off if people move it and i can no longer find stuff. Hey, look! An anecdote. How fun.

[sup]Disclaimer: That's not to say i'm unkempt, but rather i'm not overly bothered about everything being neat or looking good.[/sup]

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Mostly. I love getting achievements and trophies, but I don't like having to bust my ass or play multiplayer for them. My platinum trophies are only from simple games, but when I stop buying new games constantly I'm gonna replay a few and try to 100% them!

Ceil-Sama

Oct 29, 2008
Depends. I'd play through as many side quests as I can, but I wouldn't pick up every feather, flag, mineral, tag, ect. if it just got me one lousy achievement or I just get a pat on the back for it. I consider myself a competionist in the story-based sense. I'd rather get as much story out of the game as possible, and I see side quests as a way to flesh it out.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Depends.If it involves playing through a game again with a different character class,making different choices and getting a different ending then I'll give it a go

If it involves grinding or collecting dozens of pointless doodads then I'm not interested

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
It depends on how often I see the completion percentage. If it's just one number buried in a sub menu (A la GTA IV) than I'll just play till I'm bored, than go on to the next game I find interest in.

More recently though I picked up Little Big Planet 2, and while the gameplay is nice and everything, I can't bring myself to enjoy it (And I've only at the second zone), mainly because there are a few spots where the prize orbs are extreme tricky to get and having a 74% complete on 10/12 levels in area 1, makes me feel more that I'm a much worse player than I really am.

tl;dr version:
If the completion stat isn't visible constantly, I am not a completionist. I'll usually play all the story and side missions, but apart from that, I will only 100% a game if it's extremely fun; but if the completion stat is in my face all the time, I get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong when I don't have 100% (This is why me and rhythm games don't get along)

Wow... that wasn't much shorter...

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Not even remotely. I have completed a few games but that is an incredibly rare experience. Even games that I play regularly for years often end without finishing everything there is to do. After nearly 800 hours of Dawn of War 2, there are still achievements that I don't have that I never plan on getting (beating the campaign on the hardest difficulty for example would just be extreme tedium, or playing 20 matches as the tyranids is a great way to ensure I don't have fun for 20 matches). The only game I can recall "completing" was Ghost Recon where I finished every challenge in the game. This was largely due to the fact that it was the only game I had to play at the time and I was incredibly bored.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I tend to do all the sidequests I can find in most RPGs, but I don't replay the game in different classes to make different choices or anything like that. It just seems like bad roleplaying to do that

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
I used to be but a lot of games have gotten so massive that I don't have the time for it. anything over 40 hours or so I'll be starting to skip through content.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
If I really liked the game I will do everything the game has to offer, so most likely I will. Although I went through some of my games in my stack that I need to start playing and so far I haven't ran into one I need to fully complete. It's more like, "Well, finished that, NEXT!!"