Are You a Programmer?

aiusepsi

Nov 22, 2007
I'm C++/C# too, although I'm thinking of having a crack at Python, and I code mostly recreationally, although I recently had to do some C++ programming for computer lab (I'm a physics student).

I think my favourite language (right now) is probably C#, because you get a nice base class library, and the language prevents you doing anything too stupid, whilst still giving you the power to do almost anything, so you spend less time having to muck around making sure you allocate and deallocate memory properly and the like. Also the performance doesn't suck too bad.

gamshobny

Apr 13, 2008
I'm totaly into game maker. I know, I know, you're thinking it's not programming, well, f*** you. It comes close enough for me. I have about 7 years of experience with it, so I would call myself quite skilled.

I also know a bit of JAVA, since I'm following a study for it, but I wouldn't call myself able too do anything with it other then hello world without an internet connection.

That would make a total of 2 languages: gml and JAVA.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
I'm going to college for Computer Programming, specifically video game programming. Just started though so all I know is C. I have some skill in Ruby and Python, plus I'm decent in HTML.

Feb 14, 2008
I do very limited Lua (in Garrysmod)
Plans (far out in the future):
making a top down shooter (Mmm... top down shooter)
making something similar to a TI-80> calculator for pc.

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
Jackpot said:
I'm Jackpot, and I'm a second year games programming student.
I'm KB, and I'm a second year computer science student.

I'm currently getting taught C++, C, Java, Eiffel (urgh...), XML, and VHDL (again, urgh...). I'm learning Python, PHP, and Bash-Scripts.

I tend to write actual programs whenever I'm not supposed to and not whenever I have to. Most of them are bash-scripts.

Rjak

Oct 18, 2007
I'm a programmer at Petroglyph games, and formerly at Westwood Studios. I've professionally written C, C++, Java, Assembley (Intel, Motorola, PDP-11), Objective C, Perl, BASIC, Lua, and countless other scripting and web languages (HTML, Javascript, ActionScript, etc etc etc).

I worked on Tiberian Sun, Nox, Emperor, RA2, and now UaW for PC and 360. I'm the author of the WoW AddOn "UberCC" and have helped out on a few others.

I haven't really coded for fun for a couple years (except the WoW addons) but I'm just getting into XNA and I have a great idea for a tower defense game whose working title is "Heartless Killer Sperm". I'm guessing I'll have to change that if it'll ever see the light of day on XBLA.

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
I'm a second year (or will be after summer vacation) software engineering student. I've seen C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, and Assembly. I'm only comfortable with C/C++, though.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Languages I know:
Visual Basic (yeah... i know)
Java
C++
php, html, and other webby things
A little python
A little pearl
lua... if that counts as its own language...

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
lua counts. Also, it's perl.

I've done some work in M68k assembly. Never again.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
I'm a programmer in the games industry, using C, C++, and ActionScript for UI development.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
C++, VB, JavaScript, PHP, TorqueScript, and trying to learn Assembly. I'm no certified professional though. It's one of the things I do in my spare time until I go to college.

Fud

Apr 6, 2008
I'm not really a programmer, but for the past year I have been trying to learn TI-Basic, mostly as something to do in my math class. Next year, though, I am taking AP Computer Science, which I believe focuses on Java.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Used to be a programmer, but got tired of the technical leads changing the programming environment. After learning a third language that did the exact same thing as the previous two, I didn't care much for software development any more.

Seriously, it was like someone would come into the office and tell our group to start speaking Swahili for no other reason than they needed to make themselves look important enough not to be fired.

I'm okay now. ;-)

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Echolocating said:
Used to be a programmer, but got tired of the technical leads changing the programming environment. After learning a third language that did the exact same thing as the previous two, I didn't care much for software development any more.
If our technical lead tried to do that, our developers would tear him limb-from-limb, if only they could get to him before our manager did the same.

Right now, we're going through an upgrade to RAD 7, which is a pain in the ass for people juggling their code and bug fixes with two programming environments, but in general, the devs appear to be in favor of the upgrade, since it gives them expanded functionality.

Personally, I did PBASIC in high school (w00t FIRST!), with a dabble of C++, then several classes in C++ in college, followed by a single class each of Assembly/RegEx (virus writing), C#, and SQL. Since getting out of school, the closest I've gotten to programming are VB Macros for Excel.

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
I'm doing yr 12 Software Design and Development at school. So far we've mainly done python and recently we've begun using wxpython to make gui's. I plan to use another extension of python called pygame to make a game for my major project.

We've also done abit of javascript but I absolutly hated it.

The Wizard

May 17, 2008
I know a little Basic. I'm leaving school this year and was planning on learning Python just as a hobby while I get my life in perspective.

Jayact

May 18, 2008
Yup, I learned a bit of C, Visual Basic, and I'm learning Java right now (for the AP course). Right now I'm working with this program called Robocode, it's pretty interesting.

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
TheMightyAtrox said:
I am going to ITT-Tech for Web Development so I'm learning many different languages. By the way, XML is easy to learn and use, you basically make your own tags.
/pride