Are you a programmer?

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
Just wanting to get all the code monkeys to out themselves!

I'm a Masters student in Scotland studying a games-specific course. I use C++, C# and very occasionally Java and xcode.

I'm hoping to join a games company in the country, but failing that, I will try moving further afield and possibly making a start-up.

So, what languages do you know, where did you study, whats your plans for careers etc.?

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
While I like to think of myself as a programmer, I know I'm hardly qualified to do so.
I know a bit of C++(enough that I was able to save and retrieve files from a program I wrote), and enough Java to do...well, nothing, really. I moved a turtle in a world...yeah.
I'm in a game design course, though. So hopefully, that little bit of ability will grow substantially.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Oh, the posh sort?
Meh.
PiCroft said:
Sebenko said:
Boom, Leicester Uni.

Java.

Had the misfortune to have used VB, as well.
Never used VB myself. Whats it like?
It's the perfect way to ruin learning to program in anything else. If you program in VB, you know less about programming than when you started.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I did programming in Sixth Form using Visual Basic. Oh what a flawed yet decent-enough-for-charts-and-tables language.

Bran Mugen

Feb 16, 2010
C++
C#
VB
Java <- the worst programming language ever invented
and some web programming from me. Currently working on a 3 year game project.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I'm currently studying Computer Science at Georgia Tech.

Languages I know:
Java
C
Python
Smalltalk
Javascript

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Bran Mugen said:
VB
Java <- the worst programming language ever invented
Everyone knows that real programmers are required to hate VB most. it's like, the law, and stuff.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
I took C++ last year at my school, but, I didn't really learn much. I'm pretty decent with game makers GML coding though.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I'm doing a doctorate in Computational Chemistry, so yes, I know how to program. At the moment just in C/C++, Python and MatLab; I will probably have to delve into Fortran at some point but I'm holding off on that for as long as possible.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
ActionScript, with some small dabblings in C++, C#, and Python.

Currently trying to learn a bit of xcode.

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
Just finished my BS in computer science in May. Java, VB, C#, SQL. Been meaning to learn a scripting language, probably Ruby but haven't gotten around to it yet.

What's with the VB hate? Granted I hated it when I took the class but it's a good language for doing a quick mock up of a program or for quickly coding certain kinds of programs. For anyone who ever has to take a VB class and reads this though, never try to make a game with it. I tried to make checkers for my final project and it was a nightmare.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
w1ndscar said:
I took C++ last year at my school, but, I didn't really learn much. I'm pretty decent with game makers GML coding though.
I got game maker too, just need some one to teach me the coding or something, wanted to make a game but the scope of my project is well unruly.
The more you understand the mechanics the less you know about its execution...

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
My high school has CPI and CPII. I took CPI, which was Visual Basic, although I haven't used it in forever. CPII is Java, but I decided to take Music Theory instead as an elective.

I might teach myself either C++ or Java though... actually, which would be better? By that I mean to ask which language has more applications. Like if one is really good for writing game code, but the other is better in everything else.

To note, I probably WON'T be programming games if I go into programming... too afraid it will kill my love of games.

NOTE: To the VB haters, I don't entirely disagree. It was really damn hard making my hangman program for my midterm... worked all night and hard as hell in class. Still couldn't get it to work entirely.