Are you American or are you.......

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
A question for the American's amongst us, and others if you want.

Do you see your state as a country where you come from, or do you just count yourself plain American?

I'm from The Netherlands and always identify myself that way. (not European)

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Just a plain American. Nothing to special about American anymore to be honest. We run up a big bar tab then skip on the bill.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'll apply the same to Norway and counties. Though I was born and raised in Troendelag, my parents came from Nordland and the south (sort of) so I don't really feel I belong to one county.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I'm an American inside the states.

I'm Canadian whenever I leave the country.

Just makes all though distaining looks go away.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
States are states. They are not separate countries, or treated as such. Now, of course, because a state does have the power to make certain decisions for itself and is a separate region of the U.S., many of us, myself included, like to refer themselves from their state.

Now, I will only say this to other Americans, because we know all of our states (or should) and so we find it easier to get a grip on someone's character if they say what state they're from. But if I was talking to a person from another country, I would say I'm American, because I suspect that non-Americans wouldn't quite know the nuances of the different states as much.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm an American when being ironic because self-referential humor is cool.

I'm Irish and Italian when points of my family heritage arise.

I'm the spawn of Satan when I'm angry.

But the funny thing is that Pennsylvania is actually a commonwealth.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Well seeing as states are pretty much just overglorified districts, no I don't see myself as a Kansan, or even an American. I'm a person, and I don't think the details matter enough to merit distinction.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
TeeBs said:
I'm an American inside the states.

I'm Canadian whenever I leave the country.

Just makes all though distaining looks go away.
Weak.

OT: I call myself an American outside of the country, because if I say "Kansas" no one knows what I am talking about anyway.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Well I was born In Africa and then moved here in 2003, so I am technically an African American (unlike 90% of the black folks that live here) and boy does it piss people off when I say but it doesn't make it any less true; gotta love political correctness

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
I'm British. I will say where I'm from more precisly if the person talking to me was British.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
FalloutJack said:
But the funny thing is that Pennsylvania is actually a commonwealth.
Fun fact, there are only four "commonwealths" in the U.S. Also, Kentucky is the only state to designate itself a "commonwealth" outside of the original 13 colonies.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
well, I'm Dutch, too, so I can't really give an answer to the state stuff, but I can guess that most Americans consider themselves plain American, and not necessarily distinguish one state from the other in the big picture. The whole "American and proud of it" stuff is shining out of every hole in the American culture, and that is something not many countries have. I mean, how many times in the Netherlands do you see the devotion to the country that is anywhere near the zealotry I've seen in the states?

I suppose cultures can clash in between states, and rivalry might be around, but in the end it's all pretty tight, and the American people are proud as hell of their heritage.

To return to your original question, I'm Dutch, and will never say that I'm European when I am asked where I'm from. Comparing Europe to the US is silly, as it isn't one country with one government. And yes, I do have a sense of nationalism in a province-city kind of way. I will never lower myself to the point of saying that Rotterdam is the same, or even better than Amsterdam, I'm not stupid (no offense if you live in Rotterdam, though).

Amsterdam-Dutch and damn proud of it.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Norway is not to Europe as a state is to America.

That would be more like Akershus to Norway (as far as I can tell from Wikipedia).

Now, in Canada, I identify with being Canadian and Albertan, but more Canadian since the big Alberta stereotype is rural, but I live in a city.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
believer258 said:
I've always referred to myself as American. Always will. I'm not a huge patriot, I don't go "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" (now some dolt's going to find that damn video, I hate that song). However, I came from here and am not embarassed of it.

If asked to give better detail, I'll say I'm a North Carolinian, from the lower Piedmont area. If they still understand what I'm talking about and I'm not there, then I'll ask them just why the hell they need to know where I'm from exactly.
But...but...we're coming to save the mother-fuckin day yeah!

Bad joke aside, if I'm being asked by an American, I'm from Minnesota. If I'm being asked outside the country, I'll usually say from Upper-Midwest in America.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I don't really describe myself as "an American", or "an Oregonian". If someone poses the question, I'll reply in the affirmative, but I'm not one to say I am something. I'm more likely to just state where I'm from, which would be the Northwestern US, or the United States of Canada [http://hiscrivener.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jesus-land.gif]. Take your pick.

fordneagles

Dec 22, 2010
Slightly different kettle of fish for me as I'm Australian and we're not that big a country, so I just call myself Australian. However, the last time I was in Sydney (I'm from Western Australia), I was speaking to an American lady on one of the tours we were on, and she could immediately tell that my friend and I weren't from New South Wales. I didn't think there was that much difference :p But perhaps it's more obvious to someone who has a different accent, or to someone who's already used to the idea that people from different states have different accents, I dunno.