Are you bad at you favourite genre?

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
I play a lot shooters, because my friends play a lot of them, and yet I suck at them. But when it comes to my other favorite genres, I'm pretty good at them.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
nikomas1 said:
This might sound stupid, but when playing DoW2 earlier today I realized, that I'm bad at strategy games, and not just DoW, most of the ones I play I generally sit there and build my nice base, just inviting my opponent in to destroy me.

Anyone else?
This is why I don't play RTS games online. The things that I enjoy doing in an RTS (empire building, mostly) aren't very effective against human opponents. I enjoy them as somewhat of a sandbox experience.

MaxTheReaper said:
Nope. I'm alright at RTS games and excellent at RPGs.

Though it's hard to be "bad" at RPGs...
JRPGs. Oh!

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
The only genre I'm really terrible at is fighting and sports games, and I don't really play them.

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
I think it's hard to be bad at game where the main objective is 'kill everything you see' but other than that:

I'm decent enough to play online in FPS
I own everything in racing games
I believe you have to go out of your way to be bad at and RPG

also, why would you like something you're bad at? just a question, because I mean, then you don't stand a chance, and (I'm not a sore winner/loser or anything) if you're constantly getting your ass handed to you, what's the fun in that?

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
This thread struck a particualer cord within me because. while it isnt my most played genre, I love survival games, of the horror and psychological variety: Resident evil, Clock Tower, Silent Hill etc etc. However im absolutly terrible at them and to this day I havent completed Silent hill...any of them.

Bobtowna

Jun 19, 2009
I love rts games but im so terrible at them ( exept WC2)
I was playing starcraft and my friend was sitting next to me while i was playing some guy on battle.net and he said i play like someone who has messed up their hand masturbating.

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
I Great at FPSs
But on the other hand
My 2nd Favorite genera wichi is Fighting i suck at nearly every game except for Tekken

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
No, other wise it wouldn't be my favorite genre.
Naw, I'm joking. I'm not a "I hate this because I'm bad at it" guy. Actually, this person took the words right out of me.
Lord Thodin said:
No but im bad at certain genres i like

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I definitely suck at online shooters like TF2, even though I never have problems with singleplayer campaigns like HL2. But then again, I don't really have the endurance to get into it, as it's not very rewarding.
And FPSes are not my very favourite anyway, even though I play them alot.

BiscuitsJoe

Aug 6, 2008
When I was younger I would try so hard to get my friends to play FPS games with me even though I would always die awfully and lose shamefully.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Souplex said:
Samurai Goomba said:
I dunno. I don't know what my favorite genre is. It's either fighting games, RPGs or shmups. Of those three, two of them have an extremely high average player skill level.

So using probability math, I very likely DO suck and my favorite genre. I'd like to see the guy who can 1-credit Raystorm. Or Gradius V. Or Gekirindan.

Not because I think they can't do it, but because they probably have no life if they can. I like shmups, but I'm not one for intentionally memorizing the placements of enemies or whatever.
Do you also bother with "Infantry shmups" (Contra Metal slug etc.) or just pilot ones?
The only Contra I've played was the horrible GBA port of Contra 3. But I love Metal Slug.

I think the pinnacle of my skill with the original Metal Slug was clearing the game with something like 7 or 8 continues. So I kinda suck.

And the order of greatness for Metal Slug games goes MS, MS2, MSX, MS6, MS4, MS3, MS5.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
I really love survival horror games but i'm not very good at them. I get fidgety about the controls.

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
I can somewhat relate. I love playing COD4 multiplayer but for some reason I can never get better at it.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
I like FPS's but I am not the best. I whoop anybody on my level but I get murdered by the people who play nothing but the game.

Levk

Dec 25, 2008
hmm.. I think my genre would be fighting games, since i like the human challenge but you got to remember a genre is your fav for a reason maybe it's that challenge that makes it fun for you ^^ as for me i just like beating people or learning new things from others, =D

But as for your question, ima not bad at any game it just takes me awhile to get the hang of it like an hour or so at most once I do it's just learning the tricks ^^

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
I don't really know if I suck at my favorite game (TF2), Sometimes I have an epic killing spree with one class, and sometimes (ussaly) I suck with all of them =(