Are you buying Star Wars the Old Republic?

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
animehermit said:
Regardless of what they show, the animations in the game of superb quality, best I've seen in an MMO. I particularly like how my jedi knight will sometimes do different animations when he kills a foe.
Randomised combat animations? The delicious icing of the Batman: Arkham Asylum cake! Well, I'm glad to be proven wrong on that point; I like pseudo-turn based combat systems as long as they're well animated, ala KoTOR 1-2, unlike Dragon Age, which is about as sophisticated as 2 clock cuckoos clubbing each other on the head and about the only reaction animation is dropping dead. That really kicks me out of the experience!

animehermit said:
Ultimately this a personal issue for you, the class stories take place in your own personal phase and I just take an "out of sight, out of mind" stance on it. I don't get your reasoning behind this,though, if you have trouble getting through the story because other people are doing the same thing, how do you play a game like KOTOR or mass effect? knowing millions of other people are doing the exact same things as you? it's the same thing in TOR.
It's different in singleplayer games because we are actually all in separate games altogether (unlike STO for example, which is a convoluted mash up of past present and future thanks to it's heavy instancing!), plus you actually determine the outcome of the story - within reason - and there are consequences for failure; in TOR for example; if some Tatooine farmers ask for your help defending against a Tusken Raider attack, is it possible for them to actually destroy the farm and murder the farmers for good if you cock up or leave them to it? Or does the game simply say "kill x/y Tusken Raiders" - who never actually threaten the farm, so that other players can do this quest - and isn't fussy about where they are or what they're doing at the time of their death? That's what puts me off; knowing that there's nothing truly at stake, in fact I find it insulting when an MMO tries to fool me into thinking otherwise. Whereas in a singleplayer game, that farm could end up destroyed. So what I'm asking is: how heavily instanced is TOR? Does it allow you to affect the galaxy at large to some extent? Does it have continuity, or do you spend your entire playtime in a melting pot of past, present and future?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Heimir said:
Aint worth my time. I am not paying monthly for a singleplayer game.
You and me both man. I was really hoping for a proper Knights of the Old Republic 3 but it doesn't look like that's ever going to happen now. I guess this is how Warcraft fans felt about a decade or so ago when WoW was released and they realized there probably wouldn't be a new single-player Warcraft for a while.

I would settle though for a new Battlefront, Republic Commando, Rouge Squadron, Jedi Outcast...Hell, it's still not too late to make Force Unleashed into an anthology! Announce Force Unleashed: Naga Sadow or, Force Unleashed: Brothers Droma or something. There's literally a galaxy's worth of single-player opportunities.

RuralGamer said:
I would if it weren't an MMO; that's not a 'it should have been KOTOR 3' stab (although I would really have liked that more). The reason I'm not getting it is because its an MMO, which are kind of pointless where I live because the internet quality is just... urgh.
This also applies to me. At home, I can't even stay connected to Xbox Live. I have no hope to play an MMO.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
It will be mine forever in a matter of hours. Muahahahahaha!

I've been in four beta phases, and the early game access since it started. I've never been more addicted to a game than I am right now. This time in school is killing me. KILLING. ME.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Agayek said:
Already bought it, level 42 Trooper on Davik's Estate.

As for the game itself, the only real issue I have with the game is a general lack of polish. There are a multitude of bugs, ranging from mild annoyances to outright game-breaking (I just lost one of my companions permanently until a GM fixes it), and I'm really somewhat aggravated by the complete lack of polish. The guild roster doesn't work half the time, companions randomly attack unagroed enemies, pathing (especially going down cliffs) is wonky as all hell at time, etc.

I've encountered all of these and more and it gets frustrating.

That said, since Tuesday I've sunk something like 100 hours into it so it can't be all bad.
Yeah it definitely has it's issues. The lack of mods or macros is poor, especially with the awful completely uncustomizable UI, the stupid lack of a feature to remove the smart camera and some other things, even so I don't think those things ruin the game by any means, and they will hopefully be fixed in a patch soon.

And the game is still insanely popular from what I've seen, every server is full or heavy at peak time, and quite a few have almost 1 hour queues. And no one I've asked is having a bad time, it's definitely fun.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Besides the monthly fees, watching the launch video on the TOR website this morning has given me yet another reason to not buy the game (as though I needed one); everyone in that video admits to being Star Wars fans and that their ultimate goal was to "capture the essence of the movies" or something along those lines (I switch off whenever I hear that sort of drivel), which is basically admitting to being more concerned with wanking off the films than gameplay innovation!

Mitchell Osborn

Aug 6, 2011
I plan to buy it right after i get a better Video card, Which i will need a bigger Power Supply.
and then i can buy the game. :(

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Years of waiting for this game, excited the whole time and when it gets here I don't have the computer to run it. Oh well, maybe I'll get it sometime in the spring, I'm sure I can scrape together a better 'puter by then. :,(

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
So... most of the people who are not buying this game are not because of their pride it seems.
Come on guys 160 dollars a year? I pay more than that a month for my car insurance. Get over it.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Soxafloppin said:
Nope, Seen the trailers and was interested, seen Gameplay footage and was like "nah".
Exactly the same case for me. I particularly didn't find the dialogue system that interesting from what I saw.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Heimir said:
No fracking way. Aint worth my time. I am not paying monthly for a singleplayer game. I'll wait for Guild Wars 2, thank you.
... it's not single player. You fail.

OT, Definitely. Game looks great, enjoyed the beta, can't wait!

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Probably not. I hate PC gaming, and couldn't get into WoW. I like Star Wars and Bioware though. I'd have to do more research. Give them time to iron out the kinks. Make sure my laptop can handle it.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
animehermit said:
The story of each class can and does effect the larger game world. I know for a fact that the ending of the Jedi Knight storyline has galaxy wide repercussions for both sides in the war.
That is a stonking great dirty lie!! I've been watching a Let's Play series on Youtube of a Jedi Knight playthrough, during which, for example, he had to disable some toxic mines in a village crop field and no sooner had he finished than another player came by, doing the exact same thing! The MMO bugbears of Kill-Stealing and Quest Camping are still there and all those voice over's just come across as wasted effort! It's just World of Warcraft with a Star Wars paint job!

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Picked up my Collectors Edition yesterday. Part of the Republic Guild from the Escapist ISIS. Was planning on picking it up Friday since I still have finals. But Best Buy charged me for it when it was ready to be picked up rather than when I went to pick it up so I was like screw it getting it now. I like the Flare gun.

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
I've been watching videos and reading feedback on it and I think I'll pick it up after Christmas. It looks incredible and a breath of fresh air in the MMO field.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Somonah said:
The Pinray said:
I would, but MMOs with subscriptions are gross wastes of money. In a year of playing one game I've bought it three times over.

Then they make me pay for expansions.

Yeah, no thanks.

Sucks because it looks pretty good, but no game is worth over a hundred dollars a year.
I'll use WoW as an example since you generalised it to MMOs and WoW is the easiest example.

Yes in the space of a year you've bought it 3 times or whatever. But in that year it will go through multiple huge patches adding a tonne of new content, it's a persistent world, there's no end to the game. There are no 3 games that you could buy (unless you bought Skyrim 3 times....maybe) that can provide as much content and things to do than a MMO can.
Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII, Terraria, Dungeons of Dredmor, Bastion, and the latest indie bundle (super meat boy, Shank, nightsky, gratuitous space battles, jamestown, bit.trip runner, cave story+, crayon physics deluxe, cogs, VVVVVV, Hammerfight, And Yet It Moves) - all for less than a months worth of TOR.
Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII at £0.68, bundle at £4, Bastion £4, Terraria £1.50, Dredmor £0.86
Not to even mention all the F2P MMOs I could try, or any of the (far too) many games I have already paid for but not completed, the ones I've paid for and would enjoy completing again, playing online multiplayer in TF2 or MNC, playing Guild Wars or even browsing the app store on my phone.

The "there's more in the MMO" argument simply does not hold up under scrutiny.

It's a shame really, because I would really like to try it, but subscriptions are something I'm going to avoid - regardless of how little they are, or how much enjoyment I get out of them, I'd prefer to spend my money on my own terms.

The problem is, as soon as I'm paying per month, I have to play as much as I can to improve my value/hour, And I don't really fancy that. I tend to only play a couple hours a day, and usually a different game every day. And if I stop paying, I can't play, thereby wasting not only the £45 initial investment, but every monthly payment since then.

Also Bioware should bring out some form of demo... Even if I overcame my incredible disdain for subscription fees, I don't even know if it would run on my laptop (hopefully my main pc can be fixed sometime soon)

Hoping Guild Wars 2 will sate my MMO-lust. Tried WoW today and couldn't stand it.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
No.

It looks fun and interesting and I give it credit for dodging the "we already know how this story ends and we're not part of it." bullet by placing the game well before the established movie time lines.

But here's the thing, It's a Star Wars property and I've pretty much put my foot down that I'm not spending another dime on that particular license.