Areas/Levels that left a bad taste in your mouth.

Aug 10, 2009
There a lot of levels I hate, but the one that comes to mind first, is that fucking toy factory world in Donkey Kong 64, FUCK THAT LEVEL!!!

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
The library from Metro 2033. I was okay with everything up to that, but that stupid shit just made me hate the game.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
The Blast Pit from Half Life 1 made me give up on the entire rest of the game. I still haven't finished it, but I have finished Black Mesa, and it was far better than the original.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Vivi22 said:
piinyouri said:
Kingdom Hearts 2 - Everything prior to getting to play as Sora and actually play the game.
I actually found the stuff with Roxas to be the most enjoyable part of the game. It was all down hill after those first five hours or so.

And this is from someone who's never played Chain of Memories. I just found Roxas eminently more likable than the other characters, and since the story completely goes to shit after you're done with him, there wasn't much reason to like the rest more.
I...but...gummi ships? :3
Seriously though, when are we going to get a handheld spinoff based just on the gummiship minigame SQUARE-ENIX?! (Never, I know.....)
'Cuz that stuff was the tits.

Also Roxas could have been the most brilliantly written, acted and realized character ever and I still would have disliked playing as him for the simple fact that you can't do much when the game has you as him. You're locked in that infernal limbo-like town doing a lot of nothing really. I want to build gummi ships, I want to kill things with my strange key weapon!

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
piinyouri said:
Champions of Norrath RTA - The Plane of Innovation. A bunch of clinking clanking junk that is a pain to kill and hardly drops anything good. Also from that game the Plane of Water. Just NO.

Red Dead Redemption - The whole entirety of Mexico. It feels so unnecessary and not up to the quality of the previous territory.

Borderlands 2 - The Fridge, The Preserve, Sawtooth Cauldron (That whole quest line where you had to get the explosives to blow the bridge felt SO forcefully put in just for padding)

Kingdom Hearts 2 - Everything prior to getting to play as Sora and actually play the game.

Crystalis - The caves around Portoa. FUCK your fog lamp, I don't GIVE A SHIT.
YOU deal with all the paralysis spiders and windy as shit corridors if you want it so bad!

Torchlight 2 - The swamp/graveyard act. Ugh, dreary and dull. Next please.
This right here. In ANY KH game, when I have to go through Twilight Town, something in my brain-stem snaps and all I can see is a dull red haze of unstoppable rage and hatred for almost every ************ in the world. I hate every character who I have to deal with, ESPECIALLY that fatso Penn and that DOUCHENOZZLE Hayer or whatever the hell his retarded friend who hates that moron from Final VIII calls himself. Outside of the terrible music, gameplay, characters besides Roxas,Olette and Fuujin, and absolute lack of coherency if you don't play KH games that EXPLAIN why the fuck TT is important to Roxas and why you should care, it's also miserably annoying to grind in, and I hate every chore and lazy idiot who I have to help with their daily lives.

But an actual level I hate? Hmm...I'd say first off, Alexandria Lighthouse for DQ8, first area of the game that you actually realize you'll die in due to hard enemies, it's a long ass dungeon without much to do, and it's pretty lame in terms of setting and music accompaniment.

Secondly, any Sonic game that has Hill in the second word will always tick me off, because I will inevitably have to go through the same level and music whose popularity has been run down like a boiled sweet.

Third, I'd have to say the final Dungeon of FFIII, that place IS long, hellish, hard, filled with dragons, and ends with a very irritating and anti-climactic boss who is quickly replaced by the real enemy.

Another game from DQ, this one from Monsters, the final areas you can go to without beating the game are nightmarish in their enemy layout, outside of the brutal Grizzly's WHO can and will rip your team to shreds, there's the Lizard Men who can slice your team up, the Metal Slimes who you will panic to kill quickly to farm EXP from, and even more delicious foes Like Mimics who know Beat AKA the Instant Kill Spell that has a 67% chance of working and wiping out your entire party. Oh and their music sucks balls too.

Finally, I'd actually have to go with the Ghost Houses in Super Mario World. Creepy places with enemies you HAVE no God damn chance of killing, no Yoshi so if you fall you're dead, and a complete and utter lack of warmth or pleasantness that just makes me a little jittery inside.

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Magus250 said:
There a lot of levels I hate, but the one that comes to mind first, is that fucking toy factory world in Donkey Kong 64, FUCK THAT LEVEL!!!
Ah, you don't like cool music, an epic boss who can and will make a kid wet their pants, some of the best mini-games in the entire game, a complicated and very fun layout with many goodies to find, a great place to use all of your compatriots and learn how to use them, and the place where you get some of the better abilities for your team? Well, there's no helping you then.

I personally hate, loath, and fear the final level and I'm STILL unable to play the game with the sound on...fucking castle gives me the damn willies.

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Catie Caraco said:
The Wykydtron said:
Nobody gone for the obvious Dragonage one? mmmk then.

The Fade from DA:O. Fuck that place. Fuck. That. Place. It is needless filler, annoying to navigate and has a grainy filter over the screen all the time which gets tedious really quick.

It should be a good area, party members faced with some of their fears or somesuch tying them down to this dream place is cool but really the entire place is just... Bad. The navigation through 4 dungeons that all link together in really crap ways kills it.
Exactly this. I enjoyed the whole change shapes and stuff, the puzzle aspect, but the grainy filter hurt my eyes and the constant backtracking was bull.shit. Also, the boss fight at the end can be ball-crushingly infuriating. Like, want to cut myself.

I have another one from FFTactics.. well, more than one. I just can't remember any of the names right now. The fight at the execution site is one, and the fight against Velius. Both of those have resulted in me restarting the game due to fail.
Word of Advice, making Ramza have the Dragoon Ability Ignore Height automatically makes the Execution site your *****. Because then you can run away, and patiently wait for your team to get back to you. Velius is a pain in the ass, I will admit that. But the fight against Marquis Elmdore and his sex-slave assassins who STONE you is the balls to me. I HATE that level,

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
That dollhouse level in Alice: Madness returns. It runs on for way too long and it's boring. I've been feeling like playing that game again but that level keeps making me put it off.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Vivi22 said:
piinyouri said:
I actually found the stuff with Roxas to be the most enjoyable part of the game.
Yeah apparently a lot of people hated the start of KH2, I call it 'Zelda II syndrome', or 'Sons of Liberty syndrome' for more modern gamers. There are a lot of games that pulled the rug out from players at the start or soon after the start, and many people hated the games for that. The thing is, none of these games are bad, they just didn't give people exactly what they were expecting, and apparently that is... the biggest selling point in video games? I dunno, I guess that's why CoD sells more then any other. But hey whateves, I liked Metal Gear solid 2, Zelda 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Halo 2's campaign.... HOLY SHIT. I just realized all these games come with a 2 at the end! Weird.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I really enjoyed the Roxas start. I definitely didn't mind having a new character and there was a nice atmosphere, maybe it was a touch too long in one place considering how much KH jumps about, but not hugely so.

I hate the zombie-thing level in Uncharted, I just really hate fighting those things and I've got a low resistance to horror. In general the magic reveal has always been the worst parts of the franchise

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
OT: That one room with the van in Hotline Miami. Probably made doubly worse by the fact that it checkpointed me with no weapon so I needed fucking lightning reflexes to do that bit.
Oh man, I completely forgotten about that.

Funny thing. The van will kill you if you're standing in the wrong part of the room when it busts in. When I played, it checkpointed me in the wrong part of the room.

*splat*
Game Over!
*splat*
Game Over!

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Blighttown. Sure Valley of Defilement from Demons Souls was much harder (love it for that), and when Blighttown is having a good day its piss easy, but when its not... dear God the fps in Blighttown... WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!
Praise the Sun for the Master Key, if only I could say the same for the Tomb of the Giants...

That part in No More Heroes when you're on your way to fight the 6th? (I can't recall) boss. The random Galaga mini-game wasn't bad, it just left me with this feeling of: WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!??? TRAVIS WHERE ARE YOU!!!???

Meta Gear Solid 4 Act 3, you all know why...

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
There's a section in Deus Ex: Human Revolution where you
have the chance to save Malik when the Vertibird-thing you fly around in gets downed.
The 5 minute section can drag on for a damned hour if you're not ready. It's not bad enough that you have to protect yourself and
Malik
from ~15 soldiers of varying equipment, but after half a minuite they drop a box-robot (maybe two, though I'm not sure if that's right) armed with heavy machine guns as well. Sure if you're really quick, and have a decent number of grenades you can take out the guys - but if you're playing non-lethal, deactivating the robot has a sizable chance of having it explode and kill a soldier nearby, counting as a kill you're responsible for. It was even worse before the loading-patch, when you'd play for 15 seconds and have to wait for it to load for 30.

Also of note would be Chernobyl NPP in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadows of Chernobyl. At first the level is really cool, the absolute embodiment of chaos. With (if I recall correctly) 4 warring factions all trying to get to the same building shooting it out in a huge open field, military choppers raining minigun fire, snipers everywhere, and a time limit till a death-to-everything blowout. Once you get inside though, the difficulty spikes like crazy with enemies with equipment and tactics you've never seen before, like gauss-snipers hiding down long corridors that take multiple shotgun blasts to the face to kill. It doesn't even end there, because if you go beyond the false gameover Downer-Ending-machine there's still an hour or so left of mindless teleporting and still overpowered enemies that has a really arbitrary end. Worse yet? That's the end of the game, there isn't even a boss!

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
After (and if) you are able to kill Mom in The Binding of Isaac, the very next level is called The Womb.

EW.