Arena Mode Added To Evolve In Latest Update

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Arena Mode Added To Evolve In Latest Update

So much for foreplay.

A new gameplay mode has been added to Evolve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12957-Turtle-Rock-Studios-Evolve-Review], the online multiplayer shooter which pits four "Hunter" players against a lone, player-controlled monster. Made available with the latest patch to the game, "Arena Mode" launches players immediately into a battle to the death by trapping them in a confined space.

In the mode, players fight in one of five fixed locations on any of the game's 14 maps, with survival as the only victory condition. The monster player starts at their second stage of evolution and can still evolve to the third stage by consuming wildlife, assuming they're willing to risk being temporarily vulnerable with nowhere to hide. Matches in Arena Mode are best of three, and the completion of each round relocates the arena to one of the other locations on the map.

The new mode comes at no additional cost, and will be available once players have updated to the latest version of the game.

Developed by Turtle Rock Studios (creators of the similarly asynchronous multiplayer title, Left 4 Dead), Evolve released in February for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Evolve? WTF is that?

But seriously, no mocking or anything, does anyone still play the game?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Somehow I doubt this will be able to bring back a substantial amount of the players that this game lost since launch.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
I completely forgot this game even existed, looking at steam there is currently 661 players ingame so i see almost everybody forgot about this game aswell, gosh they are still charging $100 for it even though nobody remembers it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
Evolve? WTF is that?

Doubt it. I mean, sure the playercount is not zero - but it's probably so low it doesn't matter that there are any players.

Honestly, I feel the game went same route as Titanfall: Big Hype prior release as "the next big thing in Online Shooters", then people play it for a few days and nobody cares anymore, having gone back to the games they played previously.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Too little too late evolve. The only way you will get players now is lower your price tag you greedy bastards.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
somthing free for an already overpriced game with less content then L4D, everyone soon found this and now just like TitanFall no one gives a shit, too little too late. Maybe spend less on hyping a game and more time on the game you'd get more sales.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Evolve? WTF is that?

Pretty much not as far as I can tell. Based on the steam stats for it their "peak players" has gone from 27,403 back in February to 1,573 in the past month. That's over a 94% drop of peak numbers. Average numbers are about the same down from 9030.57 to 695.09 which is more than a 92% drop in average player numbers. So in like four months they've lost more than 90% of the PC player base however you measure it.

Honestly I'd be tempted to pick it up to try it, it sounded like a neat idea, but given the wall-to-wall pushing of DLC and different versions of the game coupled with the fundamentally high price of the basic version I just don't think its worth it. I'd try it for somewhere between ten and twenty quid. Maybe. Though even that might be a little questionable since there's a ton of other things that I wouldn't mind owning for that price (had my eye on Subnautica for a while).

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Evolve? WTF is that?

I looked at the Steam stats today, their peak player number was a bit under 1600 in the last 30 days.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Multiplayer games live and die by their playerbase. Multiplayer games that demand four players playing in something vaguely resembling cooperation, doubly so. I think Evolve got tarred by its early reputation as a DLC-sink, and never earned back any lost goodwill through gameplay that was compelling enough to warrant its high cost and need for players willing to conform to very specific roles whether they were what they wanted or not.

Perhaps their focus testing said that what they needed was less hunting and more fighting, but I don't think that's going to be nearly enough to suddenly turn Evolve into the thriving community it needs to flourish.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
NickBrahz said:
I completely forgot this game even existed, looking at steam there is currently 661 players ingame so i see almost everybody forgot about this game aswell, gosh they are still charging $100 for it even though nobody remembers it.
Monoclebear said:
I looked at the Steam stats today, their peak player number was a bit under 1600 in the last 30 days.
How did you guys find this? I found the page with the stats for the 99 most concurrently played games today (Evolve wasn't on there; the lowest was Dark Souls II at 1920 players today), and I didn't see a link from the Evolve page. There are other games I'd be interested in looking up, were the stats available and did I know how.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
General Torg said:
Just google evolve steam charts and it will come up.
Thanks man, I appreciate the response. Though it does leave me wondering how steamcharts gets their data, and how accurate it is. They do say that they have no affiliation with Valve.

Also, after checking out a couple of titles and thinking about it for a bit, it occurs to me that 600+ simultaneous users is still quite a few users. I certainly wouldn't call a game dead with that many simultaneous players. If you figure that the average match has 5 people and takes half an hour, which is probably a conservative estimate, that's still something like a game starting every 15 seconds. I'm not sure how the game's population is divided up among servers, but even if it were a few minute wait for most people, that's still not that bad of a wait.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
A game gets free content and all everyone does is bash it... gotta love that. Seriously I love this game but it got hit hard by poor marketing and mis-information about extra content....

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Still waiting for a sale.
But from what it seems like, finding games might be difficult.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So their new mode is basically "lets cut all the boring parts of our game and leave only the fun part in". Its not a new mode, its a skip button.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
The_Great_Galendo said:
General Torg said:
Just google evolve steam charts and it will come up.
Thanks man, I appreciate the response. Though it does leave me wondering how steamcharts gets their data, and how accurate it is. They do say that they have no affiliation with Valve.
Almost certainly through SteamAPI. As far as I can tell you can pull up those kinds of stats through it.

Details:http://steamcommunity.com/dev

Valkrex said:
A game gets free content and all everyone does is bash it... gotta love that. Seriously I love this game but it got hit hard by poor marketing and mis-information about extra content....
Pretty sure nobody is bashing "free content". They're bashing the terrible marketing, high price and DLCification of it coupled with the very factual information that the player base has absolutely plummeted. Which is an absolute death sentence for a primarily multiplayer game.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Evolve? WTF is that?

Pretty much not as far as I can tell. Based on the steam stats for it their "peak players" has gone from 27,403 back in February to 1,573 in the past month. That's over a 94% drop of peak numbers. Average numbers are about the same down from 9030.57 to 695.09 which is more than a 92% drop in average player numbers. So in like four months they've lost more than 90% of the PC player base however you measure it.

Honestly I'd be tempted to pick it up to try it, it sounded like a neat idea, but given the wall-to-wall pushing of DLC and different versions of the game coupled with the fundamentally high price of the basic version I just don't think its worth it. I'd try it for somewhere between ten and twenty quid. Maybe. Though even that might be a little questionable since there's a ton of other things that I wouldn't mind owning for that price (had my eye on Subnautica for a while).
Seriously, where are you guys getting these price tags? I bought it for 20 euros about a week or two after launch (22 to be exact, which included the 4th monster, Behemoth). Another 20 euros for the 4 new hunters is steep, I'll give you that (for what it's worth, you can get it for 15), but you don't really need them to play the game. 2 free maps were nice and so was the recent restructuring of maps (which no one seems to notice in the "Arena" update), which added some cool areas and modified others in an interesting way.

Arena mode however... is the stupidest thing they ever thought of. As many have mentioned above, the playerbase has dwindled and adding another mode just split those who still play it. Not to mention the mode is ridiculously imbalanced (stage 2 monster with 50% armor in an endless dome, hunters have a HUGE advantage there) and of course, not fun at all.

Game on its own is fun as hell, I don't get what the people's problem with it was - guessing the same issue people have with most multiplayer games, not knowing how to make friends and expecting multiplayer with random people to be what the game's supposed to be about. Wall to wall DLC? Not really, it's just skins, who gives a shit.