Arkham City Gets Extra Technical Tricks on PC

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
PhsyX yay!
3D booooo!
DX11 eh....

I hope these extra graphic features for DX11 are actually DX11 specific features like tessellation and not something like Crysis where things like lens flares, sunbeams, POM, and color grading are locked out even though DX9 and DX10 are perfectly capable of displaying them.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Xzi said:
TerribleAssassin said:
Xzi said:
TerribleAssassin said:
I spent loads on my rig! But I don't have support for any of those features! :(

Still, the console port will help ease my gushes. Majorly excited for this, because Arkham 1 was fucking awesome.
What...why...how. If you spent "loads" on it, it should at least have DX11 support.
As in I spent loads last year so it would run every game up to late 2012 on at least medium quality. Just didn't support DX11 when I got it.
Well that definitely shouldn't have cost you "loads," then. ;)
For it was back int' day, so the components are a little dated, but still no big worries, I'll get the PC version.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
coldalarm said:
James Crook said:
the news of it running Games for Windows Live instead of Steamworks led me to drop my idea of pre-ordering the physical Collector's Edition.
Good news, then, as there isn't a CE for PC.
What?!
Not even a Digital Deluxe? :(

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
James Crook said:
What?!
No idea. I've heard whisperings of steelbooks, but I don't know anything solid about them nor any details.

It's not good. :(

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
So,did they hamstring the AA functions of AMD cards in this version like they did on Arkham Asylum?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
From everything I've heard about this game, the only thing keeping it from becoming the best game of this, the best gaming year (yes, even beating out skyrim), is over-saturation. Every damn week there's another news story about this game, you sold me on the game at 'it's a sequel to arkham asylum', stop spoiling my game!!
Also, I can't wait to see what clever way they'll combat piracy this time!!

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Xzi said:
*Drools.* AAA Sandbox game in DirectX 11. I. Cannot. Wait.
Pretty much this, I just preordered this game yesterday. This is great to hear :D. I have 2x GTX580'S with SLI

My reaction:

Sorry for the pony but this is pretty much the noise I made :|
It's ok,as long as that was the sound you made,and there's was probably no other thing that made that noise,a pony is legal.

OT:It's nice to see that those who own 3D monitors will have a use for their pointless,gimicky bullshit. I personally just hope that the game is as good,if not better than the first.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Anyone else remembering Nvidia shoving their cock up the ass of half the PC gamers with their sabotage coding for ATI cards?

Yeah... How about we ask they don't do that this time round? Bloody wankers.

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
I just finished Arkham Asylum on PC last weekend. Great game; there's only one thing they absolutely need to add for the sequel, and that's not-crashing-all-the-freaking-time. Seriously.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Well now they're forcing me to make a decision. I generally prefer my third person action games like this to be on my PS3, and I keep my PC for first person games, strategy games, and RPGs.

But this might make things interesting. Hopefully they release a demo for both PC and PS3 around the time of launch and I can figure out which way to go.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Xzi said:
TerribleAssassin said:
Xzi said:
TerribleAssassin said:
I spent loads on my rig! But I don't have support for any of those features! :(

Still, the console port will help ease my gushes. Majorly excited for this, because Arkham 1 was fucking awesome.
What...why...how. If you spent "loads" on it, it should at least have DX11 support.
As in I spent loads last year so it would run every game up to late 2012 on at least medium quality. Just didn't support DX11 when I got it.
Well that definitely shouldn't have cost you "loads," then. ;)
depends on the income i guess, loads to me atm is $1500.. where as 6 years ago it was $4000

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Xzi said:
They can expect all they want. Doesn't change the fact that at least eight out of ten new games do not support DirectX 11
that's because eight out of ten games released now were in planning and development before dx11 was in the hands of consumers, and therefore a demanded quantity

it will probably take a good 2-3 years to get the most out of it and until then games developers will continue to use what they know you have, and know works well

large company's can patch their games, but there is little point patching to dx11 as it brings relatively little to your game except a slightly more efficient code path if the dx11 features are not required predominantly for the design aesthetic to work,

ie, you only need it if you want to use it's specific features it will not improve the graphical quality notably just by being present, as proven by the recent crysis 2 dx11 patch few people can notice any difference and when they do they need a frame by frame comparison to do so
there are many 1080p videos floating around the web that demonstrate this

in my humble opinion, dx11 was released so Microsoft could use it in windows 8 and possibly designed the specific tessellation functions to reduce load on the cpu specifically for their next console design to let them pack it with more features that use cpu time such as their kinect system, and to allow game developers to still have advanced physics and ai's without unduly compromising on character and terrain details
it does seem to be a cake-and-eat system, but we haven't seen any decent use of it imo which probably means it is for something we don't have yet
just my 2c, we will see.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Stealthygamer said:
The 3D and Physx announcement isn't that amazing since the first one had them, and everyone expects AAA games to use the newest version of DirectX
And yet some dont.

OT: Finally a challenge for my custom rig =D

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
coldalarm said:
James Crook said:
What?!
No idea. I've heard whisperings of steelbooks, but I don't know anything solid about them nor any details.

It's not good. :(
Oh, shiiiiit.
I hope we get free DLC, getting no Deluxe Edition + Games for Windows Live pisses me off

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Alphakirby said:
OT:It's nice to see that those who own 3D monitors will have a use for their pointless,gimicky bullshit. I personally just hope that the game is as good,if not better than the first.
Its not really the 3D but the DX11 tessalation and physics.

Crysis 2 looks amazing on my pc and now Bats will too :3