Arkham City Writer Isn't Penning the Next Batman Game

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Arkham City Writer Isn't Penning the Next Batman Game

Batman may return to Arkham, but writer, Paul Dini, isn't coming with him.

Veteran Batman writer, Paul Dini, has confirmed that he isn't writing the rumored Silver Age prequel to the Arkham series. Of course, he may not be writing it because it might not exist; Dini simply stated that, whatever the next installment of the series might entail, he isn't involved.

"Kinda hoped I'd be doing another Arkham game in London during the Olympics," he Tweeted during the Olympics opening ceremony. "Esp, as I had good source for tx. Ah, well."

This sparked an impromptu Twitter interrogation as Bat-fans clamored for more info. Dini, who was one of three writers involved in the series, confirmed that even though he loved working on the first two games, he wasn't returning for a hypothetical third title.

"I wish I could," he said, when one fan asked Dini to continue writing the series, "but it's not my call."

Dini's portfolio reads like a cartoon greatest hits list. He's penned episodes for He-Man, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Transformers G1 and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Alongside Bruce Timm, Dini created fan-favorite Harley Quinn for Batman: The Animated Series. Harley's origin story, The Batman Adventures: Mad Love, netted both writers an Eisner Award back in 1994.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Paul_Dini]

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, a third Batman game from them is only rumors anyway.

Weren't they saying they were interested in doing a Superman game after Arkham City?

That would interesting, seeing the cast from the Superman: The Animated Series (actually one of the better renditions of Superman, being able and willing to add a lot of complexity to the character and the villains) making a return.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I'd like to think Rocksteady and WB are smarter than that. It might make more sense if they're next game wasn't a Batman one (like poster above me said, a Superman one) and THAT's why Paul Dini can't pen the story for it, they aren't even considering making it yet.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:

Weren't they saying they were interested in doing a Superman game after Arkham City?

That would interesting, seeing the cast from the Superman: The Animated Series (actually one of the better renditions of Superman, being able and willing to add a lot of complexity to the character and the villains) making a return.
I'd get a good superman game.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Any new game seems just speculative at this point. Dini seems interested in being involved in it but it's just a big rumour game at this point.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:
I'd like to think Rocksteady and WB are smarter than that. It might make more sense if they're next game wasn't a Batman one (like poster above me said, a Superman one) and THAT's why Paul Dini can't pen the story for it, they aren't even considering making it yet.
The problem is, the same Bruce Timm & Paul Dini team created the animated Superman (and Justice League)as well. Actually, the whole DC animated universe is created by them.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Alongside Bruce Timm, Dini created fan-favorite Harley Quinn for Batman: The Animated Series. Harley's origin story, The Batman Adventures: Mad Love, netted both writers an Eisner Award back in 1994.
He also wrote the re-imaged Mr Freeze episode "Heart of Ice" which won an Emmy for Outstanding writing in an Animated Program (directed by Timm aswell). Batman TAS is and probably will be always my Batman and not having him involved would kinda suck but considering there is no evidence they are even making a third one anytime soon things could still change.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
This doesn't bother me, the Arkham series didn't have the best stories. I was getting a little tired of the typical 'villain parade' stuff.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bah, Arkham died for me when Mark Hamill declared he's never going to voice Joker again.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:

Actually, one of the last rumors I heard was they were potentially doing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game in the same light as the Arkham games. I'm actually rather interested in that, as the premise (Arkham City with Ninja Turtles) sounds really good on paper. Also, let's be honest... RockSteady is the perfect name for a studio doing a Ninja Turtles game.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Gotham by Gaslight Gotham by Gaslight Gotham by Gaslight Gotham by Gaslight Gotham by Gaslight.

DO THIS.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Bah, Arkham died for me when Mark Hamill declared he's never going to voice Joker again.
Seeing as...

...the Joker died at the end of Arkham City,..

...Mark Hamill not returning kinda makes sense.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
Paul Dini is a legend but even he needs his imagination reined in sometimes. I loved Arkham City but the whole - underground city with futuristic technology that was just ignored and forgotten about - was absolutely awful. It was a very clunky way to crowbar Ra Al Gaul into the story.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Seeing as...

Technically the causal chain is the other way around. The Joker died because Hamill said he's not going to voice the Joker again after AC.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:

This ones apparently a prequel to the first two. A rumor is though that it will focus mainly on lesser known villan's that were only mentioned in a passing nod in the first two(like Calender Man and Humpty Dumpty)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
RJ 17 said:
Seeing as...

Well according to the article, rumor has it the next game would be a prequel, meaning a certain someone would still be alive and well.

But beyond that, Batman without Joker just isn't interesting. And Joker without Hamill (or Ledger for live action :3) just isn't up to par.