Arkham City's Harley Quinn Might Sound Like My Little Pony

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
To be honest this is devastating. I thought the band would be back together for one last time in a game that had more than, what, three bosses? Two of them being bigger versions of buffed up enemy types?
I mean, it even had Hugo friggin Strange! ...But without Sorkin this just doesn't feel the same V_V

Still, I won't fault Strong. She has more than proven herself and she represented herself well in the Q&A. I still look forward to the game...but not in the same way.

...Though this does make me wonder about something. In AA, Sorkin did a good job as Harley Quinn (of course), but something felt....off. I don't know how to describe it, but she felt sorta...off, especially when you listened to the tapes of her and the Joker during her pre-crazy sidekick days. Maybe it was just age. Not everyone can have Kevin Conroy's apparently immortal vocal cords. Still, I wonder if this is why they felt they had to change out actresses.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Voice actress Arleen Sorkin, who defined the role of Harley Quinn in Batman: The Animated Series, will not be reprising her role in the upcoming Arkham City.

wait a moment...Tara Strong?

This could work....

Edit:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Also you missed the best part: Catwoman will be voiced by Grey DeLisle.
Grey "Tourette" DeLisle?

We've got Raven vs Tourette?

I think I may need a lie down...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Like Mark Hamill for Joker, she was Harley! One of my most favorite episodes in the animated Batman was Harley's romp through Gotham with Bruce Wayne's latest girlfriend. I liked that she could be such a cold-blooded criminal alongside Mr. J but still also be a woman about town. Arleen put that soul into Harley.

I am going to hide under my covers now and weep.

(That being said, I like Tara's work, and I think she will do a decent job. Just won't be the same, though.)

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Its goin to be very...very weird hearin a different Harley voice after literally growin up with that one voice, but Tara's voice actin is top notch so I should be able to get over it...eventually.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Goddammit, this is the first MLP-free day I've seen on the Escapist in a while. Now you've gone and ruined it...

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
John Funk is obviously not a large Batman TAS fan, at least as me. Forget My Little Pony. Tara Strong was Batgirl in BTAS. The latter series of it, that is.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Exterminas said:
Is it just me or does Harley's outfit get more and more fetishized with every new batman game?
In that pic alone she does resemble Daryl Hannah from Blade Runner. Somewhat.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Awwww, that's a little annoying. Not going to ruin it or anything, Strong's an amazing voice actor (Did she do Oracle in AA? Just thought, seeing as she did Batgirl...), but it'd be nice if she made it her last alongside Mark Hamil; a good symmetry.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Correction; Harley Quinn might sound like Raven from Teen Titans. And that's awesome.

It's a shame Sorkin is gone but Strong's filmography on Wikipedia clearly shows she's got the chops.

Now every time I hear her in AC I'm going to be thinking of ponies and buck tooth kids in pink hats.

Also, she was Omi in Xiaolin Showdown, so that's cool too.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
don't know what i find worse news. the fact that Arleen wont be Harley or that marks no longer doing the joker after this.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'm pretty sure i won't notice the voice difference: voice actors are often pretty good at what they do, and my capability to remember slightly different voices isn't good.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
No Arleen! It's the first sign of the end! Bring on May 21st! I don't want to live anymore!

Or I could just tolerate it and be glad we have Conroy and Hamil and accept she'll do a fine job.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Harley's probably been abusing drugs since asylum, that's what i'll tell myself anyway.
as for joker..
when they re-voice him i imagine we'll have another bad guy, or they'll come up with some other story dynamic because 'everyone' will notice the main enemy having a different voice, i know i certainly would, but it's not a reason to dislike the game..
if it's even half as good as asylum, i'm buying it

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Wait, we're trading out one squeaky high pitched voice for another?
OH GOD! RAPTURE DONE COME! TAKE ME JESUS!

Seriously though, Harley's replacement is a wonderful voice actress. I can't see this going wrong in any way.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
here's hoping they don't deviate too much. she's a GREAT voice actress and I have full confidence in her abilities, I just hope they don't try and mix it up... I remember what they did to Harley in The Batman... I mean, Christ, she sounded like Shriek from CatDog...
(for those unfamiliar, that is NOT a good thing.)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If anyone can pull off this impression, it's Tara Strong. She's one of only about five or six female VAs in the industry who are actually talented.

P.S. Thanks

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Fanboys will cry, sane people will just enjoy the damn game.
Believe it or not, it is possible to "cry" about the loss of one of the iconic voices of a widely reknown set of actors, even be annoyed by it while playing the game, and still very much enjoy the game.