Army men toys

Clade-170

May 25, 2013
Ok, just a curious question. Does any one else consider themselves to be a Army men fan? You know, those little green, Tan, blue, gray, etc, soldiers. Iv ben searching random videos on youtube recently and I reminded myself how passionate I was about them. Not saying I'm a Army men freak or anything I'm just saying. Just a few days ago I started collecting them, so far I have 200+ green and tan army men.

Though the ones I got don't really have a variety of poses so I'm looking to buy more to add that variety, then tanks, then aircraft, then maybe battlefield pieces like mini sandbags and stuff. then from their I guess if I come across other color Army men and plastic army vehicles Ill get it. but my primary focus at the moment is Green and Tan. So lol...before you call me a weirdo I just wish to point out I'm not the only one lol as you will see by these two YT videos...

http://youtu.be/ClffzUrRDXk

http://youtu.be/kkXJgkjFBp4

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
One thing I've noticed is that often you have them with almost, but not quite, the same scale, which must make collecting a bit annoying.

Also, in my mind, the classic is the WW2 green US and grey German troops, not later green and tan...whatever they are.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
I had one of those C-130s shown in the video, still do in fact. For a while, I also had an AC-130, but I was forced to give it up. I would always put my army men in the C-130, and all of my sandbags and the one vehicle in the AC-130. For some reason I only had green, so it was often hard to tell who was who. I did one time ask my dad to buy some from Canada, so I would have two sides to fight each other, but he did not find any. Right now I only have the C-130, and occasionally I will find a soldier in my room. I had thought of buying some when I see them at stores as a nostalgia thing, but the quality was always too poor for me.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Oh man, this takes me back. In my hayday of collecting them I had over a thousand. Granted, I stopped collecting them around age ten, but if you enjoy collecting them, have fun. My favorite were the paratroopers with the shitty plastic shoots that would tear after about five launches. Good times.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
I assume you are talking about 1/32 scale. 1/72 (the tiny ones) are popular too.
This is an invaluable site for identification and purchase:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/SalesLists.html

I don't collect them. I just like to cut them up and melt them back together into mutant army men.
I still have a few lying around that frighten the children.

Clade-170

May 25, 2013
Way back when I lived with my grandma for a while out in pinyon hills California. I had a lot of green army men and would play with them outside allot. That was before I learned of the concept of Green VS Tan so it was always just Green soldiers fighting. I remember one time I was riding the bus home, and our bus happened to pass a bunch of us troops passing by (as Iv relatively recently learned their was I think a marine base near the Victorville area) I got so excited and we all waved. Arriving home I looked down at my soldiers all entrenched and stuff...I couldn't help but smile and salute them lol. Memories...lol

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Fuck man I had HUNDREDS of these when I was a kid. I'd spend over an hour setting them up and then I'd knock them all down making tons of stupid explosion sounds, I remember my parents would get mad because the battle wouldn't fit in my room so I had them going down the hall and the stairs.

Just a little side note, I loved these fucking things. When I started getting older my parents made me throw out all my toys, and I almost cried when it came to throwing these guys out. Like fuck man I really miss my Army Men...

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I have a lot of happy memories playing with those army men toys. Me and my brother used to make army men forts out of video boxes (we were totally 90's kids- you could never do that with DVD cases!) and attack eachothers forts with Playmobile catapults to see who's would fall first. It was great fun when the video castle came tumbling down in a loud crash. Good thing about those army men toys were that they were very versatile and you could mix them with other toys quite well.

Captcha: come back

Pretty much what my nostalgia is telling me now!

BARQ

Mar 18, 2013
Army men were amazing. I loved making them ride on our dinosaur toys or creating mock battalions and coming up with strategy games to play with them. The army guys in the first TOY STORY movie were the part I remember most

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Nope, never had those, although I did have a few small tank and military airplane models. I remember abusing the figurines from Risk - that boardgame - as a Green Army Men substitute, though.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Me and my brother used to play war games with them, (and other small figurines). We'd use a small, round metal ball and take turns trying to knock down all the other person's dudes with it. Was pretty fun.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I used to play with them, then I started collect figurines (Warhammer and 40k), then I started to play games about moving little soldier on PC. Now I design little figures on computer and print them 3D to fill my shelves.

I am such a nerd.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Also, in my mind, the classic is the WW2 green US and grey German troops, not later green and tan...whatever they are.
Yep, we had those. I loved to build fortifications in legos (or equivalent) and have the green soldiers stomp the grey ones. Now that I think about it, the Germans never won...

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I loved those back when I was a kid. I remember getting a huge bucket of those and staging incredible battles both inside and outside the house. I remember bringing my Gundam models into the battle once in a while, and pretending they were proper scale to the army men.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I remember a friend and I pooling all our army men and having incredible wargames in his large sand pit. We made loads of cards with actions like "move 3 men 10 cm" or "fire one shot" and took it in turns to order our men about killing each other, and set up elaborate scenarios like digging a lake and dam (complete with pond liner), filling it with water, and battling to try and break it)
We built loads of lego and mecano tanks and planes and stuff to complement the army guys. It was awesome.