Army Scientists Shoot Lightning With Lasers

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
teqrevisited said:
And so C&C:Red Alert comes one step closer to reality. Minus, you know, the whole Einstein travelling back in time and frying dear old Adolf with his magic science hands.

Soon we will stand invincible.
Yes but the glorious Motherland no longer exists and the Allies have the tesla technology now.
So we fry Chinese tanks now.

Isn't it scary, in 50 years when this tech is put into a practical mobile form, somewhere one of them is gona be operated by some dumb yokel nitwit.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Am I the only one that got the impression from the title that instead of using lasers to aim lightning at targets, that the scientists managed to shoot DOWN lightning, with lasers.

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
Ok, we are 1 step closer to the Ion Cannon... Phase 2, put 20 or so of these in orbit...

We're Still waiting for Tiberium to show up though D:

Pseudoboss

Apr 17, 2011
Interesting, it's only 0.1 Joules of energy for a 50billion watts to be released in 2trillionths of a second. The laser itself won't even generate that much heat, or require that big of a power source. The hard part is just getting a capacitor to deliver that energy quickly enough.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
teqrevisited said:
And so C&C:Red Alert comes one step closer to reality. Minus, you know, the whole Einstein travelling back in time and frying dear old Adolf with his magic science hands.

Soon we will stand invincible.
Yes but the glorious Motherland no longer exists and the Allies have the tesla technology now.
So we fry Chinese tanks now.

Isn't it scary, in 50 years when this tech is put into a practical mobile form, somewhere one of them is gona be operated by some dumb yokel nitwit.
Welcome to America where we'll give an 18 year old the ability to shoot lightening from a gun but alcohol is too dangerous.

I think the impact of this weapon comes from the morale damage it can inflict, I mean if your enemy has the power of Zeus that to me is plenty of incentive not to resist.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Sadly everybody already knows how to counter lightning. Its called a Faraday Cage, better known as... a car.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Evilsanta said:
OT: Well damn, The future is just coming closer isn't it? Now where is my flying car!? HUH!? MR.SCIENTIST!
Are you kidding? People manage to crash cars often enough on just two dimensions. You don't honestly think they'd be crazy enough to let the average driver have a third dimension do you?

I'd rather not have a drunk driver plow through the roof of my second story bedroom than-you-very-much!

OT: Glad to see that they've finally found a practical application for lightning. With all the power that your average thunderbolt contains it was just screaming for us to find some way to harness it (I thought they would have found a power source with it first but oh well, guess no awesome renewable energy brought to us by Thor and Raiden)

It's certainly going to be fun seeing an AC-130 using a couple of these babies though. Nothing says "F**k you" quite like borrowing God's "smite" button for realsies.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
So considering it's power usage and the no doubt fragile components that allow it to function I feel it is safe to assume that if it ever sees combat it is going to be a
Static emplacement.

[sub]Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!![/sub]

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Dr. Grordbort finally created the Cow Mangler 5000, The Righteous Bison, The Manmelter, and the Pomson 6000 In Real Life. The testing in Mann Co. must have been so overwhelming that the US Contracted Dr. Grordbort to build them for the US government. It took him longer to do, but he finally achieved them.
And the zap-o-matic.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
Cpu46 said:
So considering it's power usage and the no doubt fragile components that allow it to function I feel it is safe to assume that if it ever sees combat it is going to be a
Static emplacement.

[sub]Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!![/sub]
Except Japan is looking at Gundams, which would provide a very effective mobile platform, if they get it right.

CrazedGinger

Aug 15, 2011
that sounds pretty cool, though from the title i thought they were shooting laser beams a lightening bolts in the sky just for shits and giggles.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
And this is why our Army is the greatest in the world. China has troops, Britain has the Navy, Japan has giant robots. But America has LIGHTNING GUNS.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
I fail to see what's so exciting; electro-lasers aren't exactly news.

I suppose that people are also unaware that there are prototypes of nuclear powered drones and that Australia has a plasma drive?

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
So its basically the LAER [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/LAER] from fallout then. That's pretty awesome. This technology has been around for a while but its cool to see that they're making progress.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
The army may have stumbled onto something brilliant here.

They just need to start running an ad campaign featuring people firing this thing and they'll see enlistment figures skyrocket.