Around a decade ago : Spyro the Dragon

its.all.the.rage

Nov 27, 2008
As you might have already gathered from my Heart of Darkness review (see the bottom of the review for a link) I will be reviewing Playstation One games. I also mentioned a game called Spyro the Dragon ? one of my favorite games as a child, incidentally released in 1998 (a decade ago) who by? None other than Insomniac Games, creators of Heart of Darkness!

[http://www.imagehosting.com/]

It involved a small purple dragon called Spyro, who has to save all the other dragons after they become trapped inside Dragon-based statues. The culprit? Some ?loser? (the game actually calls the main bad guy a loser) Gnasty Gnorc.

This game was Sony?s Little Big Planet at the time; it was fun for gamers off all ages. Until Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped came out it was the best 3D platformer on the PS1.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSflWk4b4Q&feature=related

The game begins with Gnasty simply zapping all the dragons into statues, despite them mentioning he was trapped in a far off world and was no threat to them. But, in all honesty the story isn?t very important; it?s the characters that are.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=evpECfnCjPM&feature=related

This video will introduce you to the graphics, music and a later boss.

Gnasty has transformed Gems into his evil henchman and they are very well designed. Each type of enemy is specific to their world and has different attacks / abilities. Spyro himself is a well-developed character, and has some occasionally funny dialogue.

Every Dragon (over 100) has its own individual dialogue and voice. I remember actually being disappointed if the dragon only said "thank you for releasing me", I want tips or jokes!

Along with some inventive dialogue is some fantastic music, it sets the tone; sometimes light-hearted, occasionally darks and intimidating. There was usually about 3 or 4 songs per level, which was a lot of audio back in the day. Stewart Copeland (the composer) gained much acclaim for this audio.

Joining Spyro on his journey is his Dragonfly. This was a new gameplay feature back in those days, as unlike many other 3D platformers, you don?t have to run directly over the treasure, the dragonfly simply pushes it towards you. He also doubles up as a health meter, changing colors and eventually disappearing when you low on health.

Spryo must fly around a number of these themed worlds, into the ?levels?, finding a certain amount of treasure or Dragons to advance. The Worlds themselves (split into about 6 or 7 main worlds, each with portals leading off to the various levels) are themed extremely well ( for example; wizards block your way with magical barriers ? to the more extreme canyon ? with guards firing cannon balls at you. Even a wild bull infested swamp is in this game. )

Whilst the premise is pretty basic, there are many large and interesting levels, often with various ways of passing through them. These include levels based around game-play mechanics such as swimming, lava, charging and so on, again very inventive for its time period.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hEjnkSuLUBU&feature=related

Fantastic video ? gives still-images of every world, to show the mixture of environments.

To complete these worlds Spyro has a huge range of moves. He can glide (he?s to small to fly, aww =P) jump, and canter?yeah its actually in the advert. To take care of the extremely large amount of minion Gnasty has created Spryo can breathe fire, or charge. There is also a super charge with, when you charge onto a large green arrow you get a massive speed boost. This can be used to fly longer or solve puzzles.

That last sentence brought me nicely here; the puzzles. There are some great platforming sections, but puzzles involving platforming is always better. Spryo has to solve some, unusually tricky puzzles, like putting the shapes back into the right place...*gasp*.

Oh, you?ve not closed the browser at my pitiful attempts at humor ? well it is a kids game, so there must be jokes in it. We get the crude ?butt? jokes, guards will moon you if they think they are safe and the first boss is meant to be a joke.

You are told you will have to battle one of Gnasty most dangerous henchman, a masked man which actually turns out to be sheep on stilts?Other boss fights are more enjoyable, with fights involving shooting a large guy from behind due to his amour. Little puzzles like this may be patronizing now, but back then it was fun!

Spyro himself is extremely well detailed, as are many of his fellow Dragons. With some of the larger enemies there are a few cases of "blockyness", but overall the level of detail is adequate. Animation is also fantastic, the only exception being gliding. Occasionally Spyro will hit an invisible wall and drop to his doom.

There?s just so much to do! Save the dragons, beat bosses, complete mini-games and side-quests, collect treasure and save all the dragon eggs from these annoying blue guys who yell ?na na nanana? at you. The game is defiantly value for money.

In conclusion, Spyro the Dragon is a terrific game for everyone to enjoy, Its funny, exciting and occasionally charming. There?s one very disappointing feature; the ending. After getting back all the treasure, saving all the dragons and defeating Gnasty you?ll get a cut-scene where Spyro is being interviewed for television. All of sudden Dragons are imprisoned and Spryo goes ?here we go again?. Wow, and you thought Assassins Creed was bad!

It gains a huge recommendation from me. Those of you with a PS3 have NO excuses as it is available on the Playstation store.

<spoiler=Other reviews from me> Heart of Darkness - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.78357

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Nice review, I liked it. I too was dissapointed by the ending, but for me it was mainly because the game told me if I wanted to get all the bonus treasure, I'd have to collect every single gem in the entire game. But little did I know that they would do the same thing in the sequels.

I still have yet to get every single gem.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I played it. I also played Year of the Dragon, back in the days before Insomniac started on Ratchet & Clank. Good times.

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
Spyro The Dragon 2 = first game i ever 100%-ed ;D

EDIT: good review, all points highlighted and favourably judged to my eyes

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Good review, but I do think you could go into greater detail on a few things. It may also be worth giving your review an extra read through before posting just to check that your grammar is in order.

Keep writing.

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Spyro was so great in his day, but as soon as he switched developers he was doomed to 'meh'ness. Still, Insomniac went on to create Ratchet & Clank, another classic series that continues to be awesome ^_^

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Great review. I had forgotten how much fun I had playing the first 1-2 Spyro games as a kid. Spyro was one of those games where I actually did get 100% of the game complete.(collecting all of the gems, etc.)

BlueTomfoolery

Dec 3, 2008
Haha! I remember this game. Back in the days i didn't have (or even known there was) a memory card so each time i had to start back to %0 but i still loved that game ^_^d
oh the nostalgia...

this_was_a_mistake

May 22, 2008
Spyro the Dragon was one of the first games I ever played, I loved the first two (never played the third). I am disappointed that the series is now in the hands of some pricks.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
I loved this game, a true gem from my childhood.
One thing about this otherwise brilliant review, you forgot to mention that every dragon you released either had some helpful advice or amusing dialogue at hand.

its.all.the.rage

Nov 27, 2008
Sion_Barzahd said:
One thing about this otherwise brilliant review, you forgot to mention that every dragon you released either had some helpful advice or amusing dialogue at hand.
Good point, thank you.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Although I never completed it (never did with any game when I was younger)I loved this game. It holds a lot of nostalgia quality for me.
Played the second but it never had as much impact...

Nice review by the way; fair points made, nicely written (just the odd spelling/grammar mistake) and not letting nostalgia get too much in the way.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
its.all.the.rage said:
Sion_Barzahd said:
Good point, thank you.
I would've forgotten about this too, had i not got my six year old niece playing it no more than a month ago. :)
Her favourites are spyro and the original crash bandicoot.

aRealGuitarHero707

May 19, 2008
man it's been a decade... i'm getting old

but seriously good review, this Spyro was the first game i ever got 100% completion, a feat i didn't repeat on any other Spyro game

a great review for a classic game

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I didn't remember the graphics looking as bad as they do in that screenshot when I was a kid, playing this game. Man, this must be what it felt like for people who'd seen the original Star Wars when it came out to have experienced modern CGI and then watched Star Wars over again...

its.all.the.rage

Nov 27, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
I didn't remember the graphics looking as bad as they do in that screenshot when I was a kid, playing this game. Man, this must be what it felt like for people who'd seen the original Star Wars when it came out to have experienced modern CGI and then watched Star Wars over again...
You will get a better view of the graphics if you view the videos, but yes, compared to say Mass Effect (personally my favorite game on the 360) then yes they are horrible. But for that generation of consoles they were particularly good!

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
mydogisblue said:
Nice review, I liked it. I too was dissapointed by the ending, but for me it was mainly because the game told me if I wanted to get all the bonus treasure, I'd have to collect every single gem in the entire game. But little did I know that they would do the same thing in the sequels.

I still have yet to get every single gem.
I never completed the first spyro with every gem but I did with the other two.

Spyro 2 gives you a door in dragon shores with a permanent super flame power up; the best part was that on your next playthrough of the game you got to start with the superflame. (If you don't remember the super flame meant that you shot fireballs instead of a puff of fire.)

Spyro 3 gives you a secret area which made no sense and had sheep flying around in flying saucers. Once you completed everything in that are a set of doors opened giving you a final ultimate fight with the sorceress which was much harder and more satisfying than the normal final boss fight.