Arrow - Worth Watching?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Title. Quite enjoy Green Arrow in the comics, but I remember the last time I took a plunge on a super hero series...and that series was Heroes. 'Nuff said.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I started, but got fed up and stopped watching partway through the first season, though, of course, people tell me it gets better later.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Eh, it's alright. Suffers a bit from all the wishy washy romance bullshit that the writers have to throw in because the show is on the CW, other than that it's pretty enjoyable. Starts off rocky but gets better as it goes on, but at this point it feels like the writers don't eve know where things are going because they keep rehashing the same conflicts over and over again.

It's one of those things that I probably wouldn't watch if not for netflix. It's not good enough for me to actually watch it weekly as it comes out, but when a season pops up on netflix I binge watch it in about a week.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Way too much drama in my opinion.
It wants to be gritty and dark but seems a bit washed out.
Too much jumping back and forth between issues.

<spoiler=Also>I can't even keep up with who's in love with whom or knows his secret identity..

I'd recommend The Flash and Agents of Shield instead.

Or the new possible series hinted at in Arrow. ,)

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Too much drama. I watched the first season for the most part, but it got a bit boring after a while. When the green arrow gets to kill guys it's pretty well done, but everything else has been done to death. The only thing the fights suffer from sometimes is that it's too obvious that the bad guys are waiting to get shot, rather than immediately firing their guns. They're only up against one guy with expert bow and hand to hand skills. A gun reloads faster. But as I said, that only happens sometimes.

Anyway, there are definitely better shows out there.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Season one is real good, all sorts of mysterious shit going on and plots unfolding. Also Arrow gets shit done, doesn't give a shit if people get killed in the process. But yes heavy on drama, which I am not fond of.

After season one however they got nothing, the baddies that were defeated just keep coming back for no reason other then drama. The plots that unfolded fold right back up again for the drama, it all just spirals around the same spot they started out and they have no idea where the series should go. So after season one you need to be more into Desperate Herowives.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Starbird said:
Title. Quite enjoy Green Arrow in the comics, but I remember the last time I took a plunge on a super hero series...and that series was Heroes. 'Nuff said.
Well arrow is batman if he used a bow and arrow. so no?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Personally, yes. It's worth watching for fun. It gets bogged down in some love polygon bull. But the flashbacks are where the interesting parts happen in the first season. John Barrowman's scenes are satisfying, as well as Paul Blackthorne's. It's interesting, and the last two seasons have had alot of little callbacks to the comics and animated shows GA's been a part of. In short, it's a fun show and I recommend watching it, at the very least because it's one of DC's only other successes that's not Batman in the last twenty years and they're continually expanding the universe. The characters are fun and get light-hearted lines.

Cons are that alot of the first season you could replace with bat-themed regalia and the flashbacks with wandering around aimlessly and you've got Batman Begins for the most part. Also the love polygon bullshit every show seems to have to have nowadays.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
The overly dramatic dialogue can get pretty cringe worthy. I also laugh out loud every time he fights hand to hand with the bow. Just looks so awkward and pointless. Especially going up against enemies wielding katanas or knives etc.

The overall story and twists are actually interesting, especially now with the Flash crossovers. But takes its sweet time getting there.

Oh and the flashbacks were alright season one, but by season 2 I was getting sick of them and now in Season 3 they're just annoying as shit. So much so I skip through them.

I'd try season one and if you can get through it, It gets a bit better from there in my opinion, although the dialogue cheese and drama is always rearing its head.

Enjoying The Flash a lot more. Has more of a lighter tone that is closer to Marvels films where as Arrow is sometimes trying too hard to be The Dark Knight trilogy.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
I'm a big fan of the show so I'd vote yes. It can drag a bit at times, but what show doesn't? Also it just this week had a crossover with The Flash that was awesome (Well, the Flash episode was anyway). Give it a try for yourself, it'll only take 45 minutes minimum.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It is not bad but I had to stop simply because (too me) it feels like a show that really wanted to be about Batman and I don't want a knock-off Batman. But the Flash is good so far. Go watch the Flash.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I like Arrow, but there's no denying The Flash is a better show at this point.

A lot of folks do say Arrow gets better, but I think it's quite the opposite. It started off with a lot of decent hooks:

- tons of mystery surrounding his "time on the island" with flashbacks allowing for interesting narrative tricks
- a lot more violence and killing than is typical for most superhero fair, especially on network television
- serious "anti-1%" bent to start the show; dude was basically a cutthroat, blood-thirsty Robinhood

Slowly but surely, they've turned him into a lamer Batman. Now he won't kill, he's got loads of goofy tech and a bunch of ridiculous superhero buddies, and he's basically fighting the traditional poo-poo platter of stereotypical criminals and comic-book bad guys. He went from violently reaping greedy capitalists on sometimes shaky charges to refusing to kill insane supervillains intent on killing thousands of people. The changeover is totally illogical.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I really like it, although the romances are featured a little too heavily for my taste and the current season to put it nicely, isn't their best. Like anything comic book related it's best not to question everything it does or else you'll go nuts, but man this season...Like others above me I too recommend seeing Flash if you haven't already, of the two it's currently the easy favorite atm.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Personally, I'd recommend it. It's basically Batman if Batman was willing to murder people (at least for the first season). I thought they did a good job re-imagining a lot of Villains to be more realistic and less comic booky. The action and fight sequences are decent (for a TV show) and the acting is, for the most part, not bad. And the way they jump back and forth between present and his time on the island is really quite good.

That being said, there are some things you have to prepare for. It's a WB show, based on a comic book, so almost every character in the show is almost hilariously attractive. Seriously, apparently in the world of Arrow 90% of men have six-pack abs and 95% of women have 24 inch waists. Granted, in TV people are always more attractive, but in Arrow it's borderline hilarious.

Some of the romance subplots get sort of ridiculous and all over the place after a while.

I haven't finished it yet, but so far the second season feels much weaker than season 1 to me (which is often the case) but this is largely due to one part that I hated that might just be me:

<spoiler=Spoiler>In the second season, you discover that Sarah Lance lived. Not only that, but she's ALSO a super-duper bad-ass trained killer now, just like Oliver. It's totally ridiculous and feels completely unnecessary to the plot.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Why bother asking us? Just watch the first episode in a place im not allowed to name and decide for yourself if you want to continue.

That said, despite its flaws Arrow is definitely better than Heroes.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Thought about trying it myself. Don't think I will. Seems like too much of a soap opera. That's why I hated Smallville. One action sequence now and then, and that's it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The romance stuff is usually cringe worthy, and a lot of the villains can really suck, but I still do enjoy it.

The first season got quite a bit better later on IMO. Season two was excellent. Unfortunately, season three hasn't been that good. The show is severely suffering from a lack of Manu Benett. Anyway, in some regards, the show is a guilty pleasure.

On a somewhat unrelated note: I love the Spartacus reunions going on in this show. Ashur and Krixus are going to be sharing a cell together!

Out of the three super hero shows that I watch (Flash, AOS, and Arrow -he likes both AOS and Arrow! What sorcery is this?!), Arrow has probably had the highest highs, but also the lowest lows. Flash has been consistently enjoyable. AOS has been a lot like Arrow but to a lesser extent in both extremes. Overall, none of the shows are all that great, but they're fun. Arrow probably has my favourite characters (except for Laurel -almost everyone hates her). Diggle and Felicty are both great, and while none of the shows have particularly strong villains of the week, Arrow has had my favourite main bad guys.

MLionheart

May 21, 2011
It's pretty damn good. Now at least anyway. It had a slow start with season one, but starting with the season finale it starts getting really good.Now I never miss it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
The show is pretty good. Arrow civilian life can get pretty grating, but otherwise its a solid show.

The one problem I did have was that the best part of the show was his flashbacks to the island (Which occur in pretty much every episode I've seen). I want so bad to just have a single season dedicated entirely to the island.