Arrow - Worth Watching?

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Starbird said:
Title. Quite enjoy Green Arrow in the comics, but I remember the last time I took a plunge on a super hero series...and that series was Heroes. 'Nuff said.
I watched the entirety of the first season. I was not impressed and have no intention to watch any more. The first one or two episodes were okay. I liked the idea of a masked vigilante with no superpowers who was actually willing to kill his enemies, I just didn't feel like it delivered in the long-term. Also it really annoys me when shows introduce fake recreational drugs rather than just have characters hooked on real-world ones. (Beverly Hills 90210, I'm looking in your direction)

I am really trying to get into Agents of Shield, am about halfway into season 1 and I worry it will have some of the same problems. (the lame romances and such)

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I love Arrow, but its definitely one of those shows that takes quite a while before it gets really good. I watched the first season on Netflix, and halfway through I was like, "Its not horrible, its actually pretty decent. But that's all it really is." Then the show ramps up, and it gets better and better. Season 2 was a general improvement overall, and better than the first one. The show has me hooked now, and the Spinoff show Flash is also doing pretty well (better than Arrow's first season I think anyway).

I think what the show does well is playing on your expectations. Its sets things up to go in one direction (that seems predictable to anyone whose seen a bunch of other TV Shows), and then just going in the completely opposite direction and have things be fairly interesting.

Ihateregistering1 said:
That being said, there are some things you have to prepare for. It's a WB show, based on a comic book, so almost every character in the show is almost hilariously attractive. Seriously, apparently in the world of Arrow 90% of men have six-pack abs and 95% of women have 24 inch waists. Granted, in TV people are always more attractive, but in Arrow it's borderline hilarious.
LOL! I can confirm this with glee. At least once an episode (every other episode?) there will be a male member of the cast without a shirt (or close to it) doing something physical, or at least one female rocking it in a super nice dress (and if not, they are all beautiful anyway so it doesn't matter). I find the gender ratio to be evenly split though, so there is equal fanservice for everybody. But the show at least has the decency to call itself out on this type of stuff every 10 episodes or so.

I say definitely watch the show. The biggest hurdle is getting past the halfway mark of the first season, but it's worth it! Having Flash, Agents of Shield, and then Arrow all in the span of just two days makes my week now! All very good shows that I wouldn't mind owning on Blu-ray.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Starbird said:
Title. Quite enjoy Green Arrow in the comics, but I remember the last time I took a plunge on a super hero series...and that series was Heroes. 'Nuff said.
Fuck Heroes. Heroes was potentially good for one season and then turned out to suck.

Arrow is fantastic.
Agents of SHIELD (after the first 10 episodes) is fantastic.
The Flash is pretty good. Slowly getting less silly and pointless. Still has a long way to go to catch up to Arrow.
Constantine is seemingly fantastic. Not quite enough episodes yet to know how the show's going to go overall.
Gotham is....okay. 50/50 fantastic/terrible.

Watch Arrow.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
I remember that someone years ago said that Green Arrow would be hard to do as a serious show because he had a boxing glove arrow. Then they made this series which I've enjoyed, and there's even an episode where he sticks a boxing glove with an arrow and shoots it at a guy. The scene managed to work and for one moment the boxing glove arrow was believable. Take that internet fan boys.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
The writers literally spent 2.5 seasons trying to figure out how to make the boxing glove arrow work :p

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I watched a season and a half and had to stop. It was just trying too hard to be Batmanish, and there was an unnecessary amount of drama. I do like the new Flash show so far though.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Pretty good show. I wouldn't really try to go out of my way to get into it though. If you're really bored, just binge watch the first season and it should be enough to get you into the rest. Its good enough for me to look forward to the episode after work.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Ieyke said:
Starbird said:
Fuck Heroes. Heroes was potentially good for one season and then turned out to suck.

Arrow is fantastic.
Agents of SHIELD (after the first 10 episodes) is fantastic.
The Flash is pretty good. Slowly getting less silly and pointless. Still has a long way to go to catch up to Arrow.
Constantine is seemingly fantastic. Not quite enough episodes yet to know how the show's going to go overall.
Gotham is....okay. 50/50 fantastic/terrible.

Watch Arrow.
Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Constantine I'm very excited about (longtime Hellblazer nut) but I prefer to watch shows in seasons so will wait on that one.