Art or science?

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Now, which one do you think has a more importance in this world?
For without science, sure we would't be here, but where would we be without art?
So, which one would you pursue personally and why?

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
Science is more awesome, I don't know about important. Science students are cooler and more down to earth than arts students. Even arts men want our science ladies, and YOU AREN'T HAVING THEM!!!

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Without either one of them, we'd lose what makes being human so great.

That's like asking whether air or water is more important. Without one, you die. Without the other, you die faster.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Art. Science is good, but doesn't do nearly as much for the soul for as many people as art does.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Science- Most notably physics, due to it applying to EVERYTHING(on some level).

Because our current Biology is based mostly on provably false information...

Chemistry is a close runner up, because it really is very similar to particle physics.

Astronomy is good because it gives people a drive, but doesn't realistically accomplish things.

Geology is mehh.

Anything not mentioned will fall into these umbrella categories.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
Blue_vision said:
Art. Science is good, but doesn't do nearly as much for the soul for as many people as art does.
You've obviously never studied a science subject then :p.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
More important in what way?

I pursue philosophy, which is neither one nor the other but somewhere in between. However, if choosing to pursue one or the other, I'd probably choose art. I once pursued science but found its tedious dissection of things unnecessary and exhausting. I'd probably pursue art because it would help me engage human empathy while stirring the same change in perceptions that science can.

But more important? That really depends on what method we are using to gauge that.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
zhoominator said:
Blue_vision said:
You've obviously never studied a science subject then :p.
"I don't agree with your opinion so I assume that you're uneducated"?

Yes, I've studied science. And while I get a kick out of the insanity of quantum mechanics or the awesome moment when I realized what light actually was, I still far prefer music or a good movie.

Not to mention that science doesn't really have anywhere to go anymore for the average populace. I'm not going to tell scientists that they should stop working (really, they shouldn't! It's awesome stuff that they do for the scientific community and indirectly help arts and influence philosophy,) but aside from the few diseases that we have left, there's not much that technology can do to legitimately improve human lifestyles. More, better arts though? It could do wonders.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Stonker said:
For without science, sure we would't be here, but where would we be without art?
You need both.

Art is imagination.
Science is technique.

Without one the other will stagnate.