Artificial Heavens and Fake Worlds (entries Closed)

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Code:
 Line 1000000001 Beginning of the Chronicle of the Artificial Heaven Incident

Long ago we left the world behind. Airborne toxins that choked the life out of humanity drove us underground. We built cities, facilities, and countries even, but we still missed the warmth of the sun. We chased fantasy, knowing that we would never see her light again.

The greatest minds pursued a future that would allow us to once again walk the face of the Earth. It took only one generation to do it. They created Antique Earth, a massive digital simulation that ninety-five percent of the population chose to partake in. The other five percent, those who did not want to live out their lives in a simulation, were tasked with keeping the mostly automated system from crashing

This online society is not perfect. There are rules to keep it in place. These rules are maintained and enforced by the Moderators, the AI creators of this Online World. The laws are created by the Public, a council whose actions are influenced by the direct democracy of the society. Every citizen, every man and woman, gets to vote on each issue. This keeps the law of the majority strong. However, there have been rumours that the Public has begun to fall into corruption in the twilight of man?s reign over this Earth, perhaps they plan to spend their last moments on Earth grasping for power as men do.

There are various self-serving groups within the society that break the rules of the Public freely and fight the Moderators for their rights to exist. The largest of these groups are the so called Sourcebreakers. These hackers break the source code of the Online world and modify it to their own wanton desires. If a Sourcebreaker wishes to fly, he can do so. If a Sourcebreaker wishes to phase through walls and rob a bank, if she knows how to modify the code, she may do so. Naturally this angers the Moderators and clashes between these two groups are frequent.

Another, more recent faction is the Brothers and Sisters of the Sky. These fanatics speak of a day when the world ends and the entire human race is taken to The Cl0ud, their idea of Heaven. While this faction seems like one that would be non-violent, recently, they have been noted to protest in locations where suicide victims have been discovered. The Moderators suspect the events may be related and have opened an investigation.

While their own forces investigate this new cult you have been hired to help in the ways that Sourcebreakers do best?.

This is a cyberpunk RP, a love letter of sorts to the various books, films and TV series that populate this vast and ever shifting genre. You play the part of a Sourcebreaker, a hacker with a specialized hack set designed to break the system known as Antique Earth. You have been hired by the Moderator group to investigate the cult known as the B.S.S. There are multiple classes of Sourcebreaker, each specializing in their own hackset.

The classes are as Follows

Street Samurai: Specializing in swords and pistols, either as an expect or a hobbyist that shoots at the range every weekend, a Street Samurai?s hacks have to do with Sensory manipulation, whether conflicting with other?s own enhancing their own. When you have to get up close and dirty, a Street Samurai wants the advantage and they?ll use every trick in the book to do it. Charisma Boost: The Common Man.

Superhero: Called such for their augmented strengths and physical attributes. When you see someone flying its probably a superhero. Most of the time those who identify with the Superhero tend to have what a Ghost might call a ?moral obligation? and what a Street Rat might call a pompous sense of self-worth and are known for vigilante justice and random crime intervention. Charisma Boost: Law Enforcement.

Decker: The Decker is a support class, usually found hiding behind the garbage dumpster near a fight, augmenting their own teammate and ghost hacking their opponent. They?re the modern sellsword, they go where the money goes and are the ones most likely to get themselves far too deep into a situation. However with the right tricks and a lot of luck, something a ton of [still living] deckers tend to have they?ll squeeze out of the situation with a few bruises and maybe some money. Charisma Boost: The Geeks.

Ghost: Ghosts are the most socially ?acceptable? Sourcebreakers because they don?t make a sound when they work. Their hacks are based in stealth to the point where some have even been able to hack the code for the vision of others or bend the light provided into some kind of cloak. If you meet a Ghost that says they?re freelancing, they?re probably lying. Corporations love these guys and Ghosts love the cheques the corporations cut. Charisma Boost: Corporate.

Street Rats: Homeless, but they don?t care. They might kick your ass if you sniff at their social status though. Their augments are all over the place. They tend to be a jack of all trades, ranging from moderate stealth or a potentially violent ghost hack. Charisma Boost: Homeless.

Code:
[b] Hack Types to be uploaded 10/07/2014[/b]
Code:
/hacks

Sensory: Increased reflexes: Eyes, Hands or Feet.  Only one can normally be used at a time as this hack puts incredible strain on the strain to deal with these increased instincts, as many would call them.  There is a recorded instance of the Street Samurai Narissa attempting to use her eyes and her hands in a street fight with the Moderators but suffered an aneurism after about 15 seconds of continuous usage.

Body modification: In the real world, people used steroids and to use them as an analogy body mod hacks are steroids on steroids.  Excluding flight, which relies on hacking the simulations physics laws, body mods utilize gross growth of the muscles in the body, twisting them in order to extend their power past reasonable limit.  While many of the more ?moral? superheroes that choose this dangerous hack allow their body?s appearance to reflect the power of their muscles, beware the Breaker that chooses to hide this strength.  Street Rats are known for this.

Ghost Hacking: The specialty of the Decker, its about ripping into another?s mind and toying with them.  While any Breaker worth their salt will have some sort of ICE barrier to make it a challenge, a good Decker will dance around these defences.  They can shut down your eyes, take away your limbs and in some cases induce comas or death.  Decker on Decker battles can result in two Deckers staring at each other while their fingers dance over their touch keyboards waiting for an opening in their opponents ICE barriers.

Stealth Hacks: The most basic stealth hacks are those that remove sound from the environment around their targets.  Cutting communication lines by hacking cameras, blue screening monitoring devices or ripping into a bank account, these hacks can be utilized by Ghosts or Deckers and in fact sometimes it is difficult to tell which is which.  The easiest way is to ask yourself how they left the scene.  Deckers may chase the money but they?re also known for being punks with vicious ideologies.  Ghosts have no such qualms and will leave a scene exactly as they entered it.

As a side note, active camouflage is too stressful to use in combat or with other hacks due to the extreme strain on the mind when hacking the vision of everyone around them.  Recording devices can still pick up this camouflage if not hacked beforehand.  User beware.

This hack descriptions are used as general guidelines to writing one's own code. Feel free to get creative and allow yourself to write your own hacks. If they prove unreasonable to the GM, there will be mention and suggestions of editing

Code:
Name:
Handle: 
Class:
Hacks: (Choose up to 5.  Be creative)
Personality: 
Biography: 
Weapons: 
Notes: (basic details unsuitable for other categories)

Lost In The Void

Aug 27, 2008
Code:
Name: Narissa
Handle: Twins
Reason for Death: Aneurysm 

Name: Christopher 
Handle: Ebony

Name: Henry
Handle: Tower

These three deaths happened in roughly the same time period.  While Narissa's can be described as self inflicted, the two other Breakers were not using Sensory manipulation at the time of death.  Due to this inconsistency and the frequency of these deaths amongst relatively famous Breakers, the Moderation Board feels the need to further investigate.

RBMidknight

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2009
This looks interesting. I have a few questions. If the Sourcebreakers and Moderators clash a lot why are Moderators also hiring Sourcebreakers? Regarding the hacks - are what people start out with for hacks their permanent set in stone list or is it possible that throughout the course of the RP some hacks are broken or changed?

Lost In The Void

Aug 27, 2008
RBMidknight said:
I have a few questions. If the Sourcebreakers and Moderators clash a lot why are Moderators also hiring Sourcebreakers?
The Moderator's are hiring Sourcebreakers for the simple reason that they can go places Moderators can't. They can do things that Moderators can't, in terms of code breaking and simply entering places that a known Moderator would not be welcome. Basically this is like a temporary cease fire amongst two squabbling factions to deal with a new faction.

RBMidknight said:
Regarding the hacks - are what people start out with for hacks their permanent set in stone list or is it possible that throughout the course of the RP some hacks are broken or changed?
There will be opportunity to explore new hacks and such as the RP progresses. Though you should have a pretty good idea of what you want because Classes will be locked after the beginning of the RP and this RP will likely be a short affair so one doens't want to be changing their hacks again and again.

SamRatsbane

May 24, 2014
Void, talk to me. Are stretchy limbs and turning my fingernails into fishhooks valid body modification hacks? 'Cause I've got an idea up here in my head.

Lost In The Void

Aug 27, 2008
SamRatsbane said:
Void, talk to me. Are stretchy limbs and turning my fingernails into fishhooks valid body modification hacks? 'Cause I've got an idea up here in my head.
Nothing quite that extreme. Pushing the programming to the extent of physical changes can cause the AI to investigate the code. The thing about most hacking is that despite the fantastic results, nothing about the world changes too drastically so the AI doesn't feel the need to get involved, letting the Moderators attend to it instead.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Well, my interest is piqued. Now I have a few questions of my own: This takes place entirely in the digital, virtual world, right? Or will there be real-world parts to this, and real-world ramifications for what we do?

Is it possible to make a character that is literally plugged into this Antique Earth because of health or physical trouble? Like someone in some kind of coma, or a quadriplegic?

And just how much variety will there be in these hacks?

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
What is the state of technology in Antique Earth? Is it ever possible to leave the sim? On a different note, what kind of weaponry will I have access to as a Decker?

On the subject of hacks, how does short range teleporting sound? I'm thinking jumping no more than a few meters to a location I can already see. Could this be phrased as some kind of quick movement+ invisibility sort of thing?

Furthermore, how does ghost hacking work? Am I hacking their brain or their technology? (Or both?) Can I stealthily attack my target, or will they always be aware? Once I have hacked them, what are my options? Is it possible to control their action, puppet style, or play havoc with their augmentations?

Lost In The Void

Aug 27, 2008
Texas Joker 52 said:
Well, my interest is piqued. Now I have a few questions of my own: This takes place entirely in the digital, virtual world, right? Or will there be real-world parts to this, and real-world ramifications for what we do?

Is it possible to make a character that is literally plugged into this Antique Earth because of health or physical trouble? Like someone in some kind of coma, or a quadriplegic?

And just how much variety will there be in these hacks?
Real World Ramifications yes. To what extent would be spoiling and no you will not be able to or ever leave the simulation. Remember most of the world's population is in this simulation, but if you want it to be for some medical reason feel free.

As for the hacks, as long as they fit within the constraints of the outlines I gave, I pretty much am giving you complete freedom to make up hacks and if I do have issues for them lore wise, then I'll suggest modifications.

ThreeWords said:
What is the state of technology in Antique Earth? Is it ever possible to leave the sim? On a different note, what kind of weaponry will I have access to as a Decker?

On the subject of hacks, how does short range teleporting sound? I'm thinking jumping no more than a few meters to a location I can already see. Could this be phrased as some kind of quick movement+ invisibility sort of thing?

Furthermore, how does ghost hacking work? Am I hacking their brain or their technology? (Or both?) Can I stealthily attack my target, or will they always be aware? Once I have hacked them, what are my options? Is it possible to control their action, puppet style, or play havoc with their augmentations?
The technological level of Antique Earth would be considered modern to post modern, that is what we have now, maybe pushed a little farther. Stylistically though we're going for a very 80's style cyberpunk. Bulky decks, commodore style computers and bright neon and gaudy colours. I like how you would explain the teleportaion and would be welcome to it as a style of long time prep short pay off hack.

To elaborate on what I mean, the more advanced hacks that Deckers and Sourcebreakers in general pull off usually require creating a line of code that is hours in the making. There are quick prebuilt ones that can be used on the fly, and those will be used without the character specializing in them, such as breakinga basic home security alarm or hacking a basic locked door.

Ghost hacking is a mixed bag. You hit a normal person with it and they'll not even know you're in control, usually blacking out or remembering it like they were black out drunk or something to that extent. Hitting another decker or a skilled Ghost however and they'll know exactly whats going on and more than likely if you're not prepared you're gonna get burned by some of their defensive ICE.

Once they're hacked they are at your disposal, rip through their memories, make them punch out a cop, the possibilities are there for the taking.

In fact since one of my NPCs I'll be controlling is a Decker, this is her sheet minus Bio to get an idea of what writing hacks is like for various degrees of code breaking

Name: Hannah

Handle: Twins

Sex: Female

Class: Decker

Hacks: Flashbang: A Quick and aggressive hack that causes a sudden but temporary blindness in the subject. Effects last less than a minute, but the hack is a quick one to write

Doll: An advanced hack that can take days to write and hours to execute, this hack is a mastery of coding and understanding of the simulation. It allows a takeover of the subject, usually them as a tool of the decker?s. While the effect is powerful, the strain can kill a hacker if left too long, as such it is usually used for no more than 30 minutes at a time. Loss of consciousness is common at that point.

ICE Breaker: Used as a brute force attack on ICE programs, this hack can eliminate a full room of white ICE. However Black ICE is still dangerous and can overwhelm the hacker before they can put up their own defence grid.

The Hacker?s Touch: A Sensory hack that increases the contact between hand-eye movements increasing one?s typing speed 150-200% for a period of an hour, if the hacker is not subjected to severe levels of stress.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I'll try and play along. The limits to what I could do seem vague, but I do love cyber-punk.

Here's a washed up, bitter and old Russian ghost-turned street rat.

Name: Vladislav Poreshenkov, a.k.a. 'Vladdi'.

Handle: Gramps

Sex: Male

Class: Street Rat

Hacks: De-ja-vu: You swear you've seen it somewhere before, but you can't tell. Hacks a person's mind, putting a loop of a previous memory, endlessly forgetting it and experiencing at again, oblivious to what is really happening around them.

Cat in a Bag: Vladdi is a beast, a destructive force to be reckoned with, a dangerous menace to the public. He's so powerful he could out-do an average superhero. He's so powerful mostly because he looks like a bum - a sad, thin shadow of a man he once was, a poor soul of a dying generation. Be careful though, Gramps can be quite the vicious killer. Looks aren't always what you get.

Rasputin's Touch: Bloody brilliant bloodbaths are Vladdi's specialty, and he does so with this extremely nasty Hack. Most of the fights involving Gramps end with the opposing bleeding to death, some doing so with a paper-cut. If you're ever up against Gramps, protect your own body - you might just find yourself in a pool under your feet.

Secret Door Num. 1 : Gramps had spent his long life creating doors throughout the world, secret entrances which move around with the code. He can go into one and leave the other, having traveled quite the distance. He uses the Secret Doors to get away from the law and hide his nasty deeds from the mods.

Smokin' Hot: Gramps doesn't need to keep himself warm in the winter - His hack does it for him. Able to conjured fire with the snap of his fingers, the flame will spread as long as it has oxygen to burn through. Can be quite a blast.

(He's a an offensive type, but he has ways to getting the hell out of dodge if things go south)

Personality: He's old, he's sour, and he's desperately looking for a reason to keep clinging to life. Gramps is so very tired, and it seems the only thing that keeps him alive is the activity which puts his life at risk. He's a cynical old bastard with a heart of gold, if you can dig it out of the mountain of shit heaped on top of it.

Biography: Little is known about Gramps, but he wasn't always the same bum. He was once the well-known ghost Vladislav Poreshenkov, living high and working low for the squabbling mega-corporations rich enough to afford his services. Vladdi was a well-known Russian Hacker, organizing a network of like-minded individuals, contracted by his home country to perpetrate attacks against enemies of the state. Fate had it that he went down and under to the virtual world, and had to build his arsenal and company of cyber-soldiers from the ground up.

At his height of power, Vladdi employed dozens of sourcebreakers, contracting jobs from corporations and running a massive criminal syndicate. All good things come to an end, and Vladdi reached his final days. Officially declared dead, Gramps had only barely escape through his secret door prototype - his identity was expunged, his funds frozen and everything he worked for destroyed. He spent the rest of his time drinking and fumbling with code, trying to get away form authorities to avoid detection. Today Gramps is a homeless old man, a street rat with nothing but a half-full trolley to his name.

Weapons: Gramps gets around with his trolley of assorted trash. Inside you would find the occasional iron pipe and wooden club.

Notes: Gramps is almost always drunk.

Melodykat0

Aug 4, 2014
Just wondering how long we've been down underground as a race? Was every player character born in this reality? Also what is the life expectancy? If we were born into the simulation, can I get a short historical and political summary of our life times?

Lost In The Void

Aug 27, 2008
Melodykat0 said:
Just wondering how long we've been down underground as a race? Was every player character born in this reality? Also what is the life expectancy? If we were born into the simulation, can I get a short historical and political summary of our life times?
For how long society has been in the simulation. Well thats a fuzzy question not really able to be answered concretely. Yes every character has been born in this simulation, no one has any idea of what remains of the outside of world. Life expectancy is anywhere from 80-120 years of age. To give you an accurate political and historical summary, I can do what I can but as with the how long question, a lot of it is going to be interpretive.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Here's a first draft for a cleric-style decker. Let me know if the hacks and play-style check out, and I'll get to work on a biography. It would be good to get a sense of some of the important historical events, if that's possible.

Name: Orson Laurence
Handle: Pillar

Heal: This hack involves analysing a wound and determining the process that caused it, then executing a code, that reverses the damage. This takes several minutes of examination and coding to prepare (more if the wound is severe, or complex in cause). If the code is not exact enough, it can end up doing more harm than good.
Shield: Orson Protects himself and others from enemy hacks, taking on their attackers in real time. This often takes up his entire attention, forcing him to cease all other actions. He is only able to protect those who give him access to their security.
Double time: Orson interfaces directly with his deck, increasing his brain?s processing speed by several orders of magnitude. In this mode he perceives action on a slowed down scale, heightening his hack efficiency. However, the heat output of his brain also increases, and he after ten seconds he begins to suffer. He has never managed to stay conscious for more than twenty seconds in this state. The longer he spends in this state, the longer it takes him to recover afterwards.
Jump: Orson?s speed increases for 2 seconds, allowing him to surge from one location to another in sudden blur of movement. With a little more preparation, he can add a second effect that light to bend around every part of his body save his pupils, causing him to be almost invisible as he make the move.
Orson can grant this bonus to another character, but the hack takes a good deal longer to prepare.
Backstab: This ghost hack causes stabbing pain and spasms in a part of the body, usually with the aim of disabling an arm, leg or eye.

Personality: As a professional medic to the Breaker community, Orson has a permanent sense of being slightly frazzled. He spends his time guarding outlaws from other outlaws and patching up anyone who can pay, a profession which leaves him tired but well-off, as his role is often indispensable. Despite his look of distress, his many years of work have left him unfazed buy the chaos and horror of the battle. However, he is no warrior, and the nearest he will get to combat is spraying a hail of bullets as a distraction.
Biography: (to be announced)
Weapons: Orson carries a rapid-fire, low-accuracy SMG, more as a distraction than as a weapon, and a couple of smoke grenades.
Notes: -

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
hello void i want to play a game (this game)

ive got an idea for a character concept but like im pretty sure my involvement is entirely dependent on sams since theres no instance where the pair of us teaming up has not led to positive consequences

what kind of tone are we going for here in regards to the seriousness to silliness scale

EDIT: figured i should throw down the kinda shit im thinking about so you can tell me if its appropriate or not
Name: Gregory "Rayne" Owens
Handle: Bloodcurse
Sex: male
Class: Superhero
Hacks: Super Strength, Super Speed
no need for explaination on these i think, standard superhero fare
im assuming body mods are a constant sort of thing so they dont like overload his brain after five minutes

Secret Technique: Binding Blade
a hack with basically no practical application aside from looking cool. it allows him to deal a lot of damage with a single swing of whatever he picked up to use as a sword and send a shockwave that can cleave buildings in two. too ostentatious to ever use, takes ages to prep, almost never gets used when it is set up in advance because hes fucking awful at reading how a situation will go down. also itll probably kill him. yells that hes about to do his binding blade technique a lot when hes actually just pretending

Secret Technique: Cursed Blood Canon
draws from the power of his "cursed bloodline" to send "an orb of pure energy" and "deal massive explosive damage". most of the time just ends up being used to flash really bright and blind people since making it actually damage stuff requires prep work and if hes gonna spend time prepping hes more likely to set up his favourite overpowered binding blade technique

Blood Frenzy
"When I am overcome with grief and rage, a madness stemming from the power of my cursed blood clouds my mind. I attack anyone, friend or foe, slaughtering thousands. It is this that drives me to acts of heroism, to assuage my dark guilt."
actually it just sort of causes him to not feel pain for a while. he tried to write a bit about losing control and killing people but a) it was really hard and b) he realised that was a fucking stupid idea

Personality: just a fucking

atrocious nerd i mean holy christ

Biography: typically referred to by his last name rather than his first or the made up nickname he keeps trying to push on everyone. comes from a family of loving if exasperated parents, though youd never hear him admit it. stumbled across hacking methods sometime in his early teens and immediately used it to pretend to be a superhero. his character concept changed a lot until he found the perfect grimdark persona to fight crime with, and since then he sort of just stuck with it. his backstory still changes a lot, though
has literally no reason to continue playing pretend this late out of his childhood. he made plenty of friends, was reasonably popular with girls, didnt really have anything hed want to escape from, he just thinks his stupid bullshit is cool and figured, hey, if i can make it happen why shouldnt i
when hes not fooling around with his shitty pretend nonsense, he actually makes a pretty good superhero. hes a decent guy and doesnt like seeing people get hurt. hes more likely to catch a criminal alive than kill him and his main focus when shit goes down is actually just to keep people safe. his strength and speed body mods tend to more often be used in rescues and the like than for violent purposes like initially planned
reasonably well known in his hero patrol area and pretty well beloved by anyone who doesnt have to talk to him too often. law enforcement officials that have to interact with him regularly more tolerate him than like him, but theyd undeniably be relieved if he showed up during a shootout
tried once or twice to establish an ex-damsel in distress as his love interest before coming to the conclusion that that is a horrible and sort of morally unsound way to meet people and most girls dont actually appreciate being hit on immediately after a dangerous and stressful situation anyway. he still sometimes makes a go if shes pretty enough and doesnt seem to be in an emotionally compromised state. hes lucky hes handsome because christ would he ever be reviled otherwise

i think thats basically it theres not much else that needs covering

Weapons: used to carry around katanas until they broke enough times that he realised he couldnt actually afford to keep replacing them. downgraded to wooden ones for a while and now he pretty much scavenges whatever he can get on-site. hes pretty good at finding pole-like objects, though, so its fine

Notes: im gonna assume the ontological inertia circumventions and skin/flesh durability upgrades required to make super strength and speed viable are sort of included in the package
dying of massive brain hemorrhagging every time i sprint super fast somewhere, while hilarious, would make me pretty fucking worthless as a superhero

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
Notes: im gonna assume the ontological inertia circumventions and skin/flesh durability upgrades required to make super strength and speed viable are sort of included in the package
dying of massive brain hemorrhagging every time i sprint super fast somewhere, while hilarious, would make me pretty fucking worthless as a superhero
I've missed you, man.

Melodykat0

Aug 4, 2014
Lost In The Void said:
To give you an accurate political and historical summary, I can do what I can but as with the how long question, a lot of it is going to be interpretive.
Sure. I mostly was wondering about war and whether there would have been any recently (with in players lifetimes or otherwise) and the motives behind the war if there had been one.
Also how did the "Public" idea rise to power? was it voted on etc? I'm only asking because I'm looking for some events to build into my backstory. For example I'd like my character to have a reason to be disenchanted with the public and possible awful other events to tie into my character's backstory as well.

SamRatsbane

May 24, 2014
Void, brother. I typed this up during those five-ish days I was waiting for you to reply to my post, so it's totally outdated and I've used the opposite of what you've said's okay for my hacks. Help me work out a way to get this serviceable for the game.
Name: Scarlett Bliss

Handle: Vanilla

Hacks: - Nailhooks (Transforms own fingernails into barbed fishhooks. Useful primarily for clinging to surfaces and torture.)
- Nail Skewers (More practical in combat than Nailhooks. Extends, sharpens and fortifies nails in a more traditional manner.)
- Nail Cables (Turns fingernails into lengthy black cables. Cables can be controlled manually through thought, like extra limbs.)
- Nail Shocks (Creates a small electric current beneath the fingernails which can be transferred on touch. Not powerful enough to have much effect beyond mild irritation on living subjects, but can be used to disable less-sophisticated electrical devices.)
- Nail Slime (Secretes a slow-drying water-based lubricant from underneath fingernails. Primarily utilized for personal use.)

Personality: Uncomfortable to be around. Severe lack of social tact. Bisexual, lonely and desperate.

Biography: Scarlett got into the hacking scene because she'd seen some pretty exciting porn online and decided she wanted in on that action. In the three years since then she's still yet to meet a boy or girl who shares her interest in alternative sexuality (this is what she tells herself because she prefers the idea of that to the idea that she's just genuinely repulsive to be around, even among people with similar interests), but she has found other uses for her fancy new skillset.

Having been kicked out of her parents' house for being too useless and disgusting at the age of 20 Scarlett chanced upon a group of similarly homeless and seperately disgusting individuals who had been using their own illegal hacking skills to get by semi-comfortably, and Scarlett pitched in with them. Flitting between groups of Street Rats every two weeks or so (almost always due to exhile based on her inappropriate-even-for-homeless-criminals behaviour), Scarlett got by by finding practical uses for her initially personal-use-only hacks, and in doing so built up something of a reputation among crime circles. This, presumably, is how the Moderators were able to find her.

Weapons: Fingernails. Body modification hacks render other weapons mostly superfluous.

Lost In The Void

Aug 27, 2008
ThreeWords said:
Here's a first draft for a cleric-style decker. Let me know if the hacks and play-style check out, and I'll get to work on a biography. It would be good to get a sense of some of the important historical events, if that's possible.

Name: Orson Laurence
Handle: Pillar

Heal: This hack involves analysing a wound and determining the process that caused it, then executing a code, that reverses the damage. This takes several minutes of examination and coding to prepare (more if the wound is severe, or complex in cause). If the code is not exact enough, it can end up doing more harm than good.
Shield: Orson Protects himself and others from enemy hacks, taking on their attackers in real time. This often takes up his entire attention, forcing him to cease all other actions. He is only able to protect those who give him access to their security.
Double time: Orson interfaces directly with his deck, increasing his brain?s processing speed by several orders of magnitude. In this mode he perceives action on a slowed down scale, heightening his hack efficiency. However, the heat output of his brain also increases, and he after ten seconds he begins to suffer. He has never managed to stay conscious for more than twenty seconds in this state. The longer he spends in this state, the longer it takes him to recover afterwards.
Jump: Orson?s speed increases for 2 seconds, allowing him to surge from one location to another in sudden blur of movement. With a little more preparation, he can add a second effect that light to bend around every part of his body save his pupils, causing him to be almost invisible as he make the move.
Orson can grant this bonus to another character, but the hack takes a good deal longer to prepare.
Backstab: This ghost hack causes stabbing pain and spasms in a part of the body, usually with the aim of disabling an arm, leg or eye.

Personality: As a professional medic to the Breaker community, Orson has a permanent sense of being slightly frazzled. He spends his time guarding outlaws from other outlaws and patching up anyone who can pay, a profession which leaves him tired but well-off, as his role is often indispensable. Despite his look of distress, his many years of work have left him unfazed buy the chaos and horror of the battle. However, he is no warrior, and the nearest he will get to combat is spraying a hail of bullets as a distraction.
Biography: (to be announced)
Weapons: Orson carries a rapid-fire, low-accuracy SMG, more as a distraction than as a weapon, and a couple of smoke grenades.
Notes: -
This looks good so far, look forward to seeing the Bio

Monkfish Acc. said:
hello void i want to play a game (this game)

ive got an idea for a character concept but like im pretty sure my involvement is entirely dependent on sams since theres no instance where the pair of us teaming up has not led to positive consequences

what kind of tone are we going for here in regards to the seriousness to silliness scale [thinking pretty serious but not above a black comedy type character as long as it doesn't throw itself too far in the silly direction. You know me man, all brood]

EDIT: figured i should throw down the kinda shit im thinking about so you can tell me if its appropriate or not
no need for explanation on these I think, standard superhero fare
I'm assuming body mods are a constant sort of thing so they don't like overload his brain after five minutes To an extent of course, I'm thinking that super speed would be sorta of easy to manage, but super strength, well based on the strength being exerted. Not gonna be able to throw car after car or lift buildings, but a healthy moderation of usage should avoid frying his brain

a hack with basically no practical application aside from looking cool. it allows him to deal a lot of damage with a single swing of whatever he picked up to use as a sword and send a shockwave that can cleave buildings in two. too ostentatious to ever use, takes ages to prep, almost never gets used when it is set up in advance because hes fucking awful at reading how a situation will go down. also itll probably kill him. yells that hes about to do his binding blade technique a lot when hes actually just pretending Eh not a huge fan of this maybe because of its uselessness and more leaning towards comedic use but feel free to sell me on it

draws from the power of his "cursed bloodline" to send "an orb of pure energy" and "deal massive explosive damage". most of the time just ends up being used to flash really bright and blind people since making it actually damage stuff requires prep work and if hes gonna spend time prepping hes more likely to set up his favourite overpowered binding blade technique

Blood Frenzy
"When I am overcome with grief and rage, a madness stemming from the power of my cursed blood clouds my mind. I attack anyone, friend or foe, slaughtering thousands. It is this that drives me to acts of heroism, to assuage my dark guilt."
actually it just sort of causes him to not feel pain for a while. he tried to write a bit about losing control and killing people but a) it was really hard and b) he realised that was a fucking stupid idea See I like this because it has an application of sorts, keeps with the character being a sorta tryhard wannabe badass. Try to keep hacks in this range or something

Personality: just a fucking

atrocious nerd i mean holy christ Expansion Tilly

Biography: typically referred to by his last name rather than his first or the made up nickname he keeps trying to push on everyone. comes from a family of loving if exasperated parents, though you'd never hear him admit it. Stumbled across hacking methods sometime in his early teens and immediately used it to pretend to be a superhero. His character concept changed a lot until he found the perfect grimdark persona to fight crime with, and since then he sort of just stuck with it. his backstory still changes a lot though.

Has literally no reason to continue playing pretend this late out of his childhood. he made plenty of friends, was reasonably popular with girls, didn't really have anything he'd want to escape from, he just thinks his stupid bullshit is cool and figured, hey, if I can make it happen why shouldn't I?

when he's not fooling around with his shitty pretend nonsense, he actually makes a pretty good superhero. hes a decent guy and doesn't like seeing people get hurt. hes more likely to catch a criminal alive than kill him and his main focus when shit goes down is actually just to keep people safe. his strength and speed body mods tend to more often be used in rescues and the like than for violent purposes like initially planned.

Reasonably well known in his hero patrol area and pretty well beloved by anyone who doesn't have to talk to him too often. law enforcement officials that have to interact with him regularly more tolerate him than like him, but they'd undeniably be relieved if he showed up during a shootout.

Tried once or twice to establish an ex-damsel in distress as his love interest before coming to the conclusion that that is a horrible and sort of morally unsound way to meet people and most girls don't actually appreciate being hit on immediately after a dangerous and stressful situation anyway. he still sometimes makes a go if shes pretty enough and doesn't' seem to be in an emotionally compromised state. He's lucky he's handsome because christ would he ever be reviled otherwise.

I think that's basically it there's not much else that needs covering

Actually dig the backstory, like I said, if you can sttrike that healthy balance of comedy and drama I think that this could be an awesome character. Also did some basic editing because I'm a ****.

Weapons: used to carry around katanas until they broke enough times that he realised he couldn't actually afford to keep replacing them. downgraded to wooden ones for a while and now he pretty much scavenges whatever he can get on-site. hes pretty good at finding pole-like objects, though, so its fine

Notes: I'm gonna assume the ontological inertia circumvention and skin/flesh durability upgrades required to make super strength and speed viable are sort of included in the package
dying of massive brain hemorrhaging every time i sprint super fast somewhere, while hilarious, would make me pretty fucking worthless as a superhero
Edits are in bold inside the sheet. Like the basic skeleton, just need some tweaking methinks.

SamRatsbane said:
Void, brother. I typed this up during those five-ish days I was waiting for you to reply to my post, so it's totally outdated and I've used the opposite of what you've said's okay for my hacks. Help me work out a way to get this serviceable for the game. Should almost call this the Nail fetishist eh Sam?

Name: Scarlett Bliss

Handle: Vanilla

Hacks: - Nailhooks (Transforms own fingernails into barbed fishhooks. Useful primarily for clinging to surfaces and torture.)

I don't know how much I can do with the Nail theme you seem to be going but for a hack like this, at least from the climbing perspective, being able to sorta move the structure of a building's surface or something to sink one's fingers into would likely be more theme appropriate

- Nail Skewers (More practical in combat than Nailhooks. Extends, sharpens and fortifies nails in a more traditional manner.)

Can deal with this one, pretty basic body mod as long as the length doesn't get too absurd. Think like animal claws kinda thing. Can be longish and fortified but keep it within like I dunno 6 cms or so?

- Nail Cables (Turns fingernails into lengthy black cables. Cables can be controlled manually through thought, like extra limbs.)

Not sure about this one, maybe a weapon/hack combo, like a cable launcher or something. Note singular usage.

- Nail Shocks (Creates a small electric current beneath the fingernails which can be transferred on touch. Not powerful enough to have much effect beyond mild irritation on living subjects, but can be used to disable less-sophisticated electrical devices.)

this one works fine as is

- Nail Slime (Secretes a slow-drying water-based lubricant from underneath fingernails. Primarily utilized for personal use.)

No Sam...

Personality: Uncomfortable to be around. Severe lack of social tact. Bisexual, lonely and desperate.

Biography: Scarlett got into the hacking scene because she'd seen some pretty exciting porn online and decided she wanted in on that action. In the three years since then she's still yet to meet a boy or girl who shares her interest in alternative sexuality (this is what she tells herself because she prefers the idea of that to the idea that she's just genuinely repulsive to be around, even among people with similar interests), but she has found other uses for her fancy new skill set.

Having been kicked out of her parents' house for being too useless and disgusting at the age of 20 Scarlett chanced upon a group of similarly homeless and separately disgusting individuals who had been using their own illegal hacking skills to get by semi-comfortably, and Scarlett pitched in with them. Flitting between groups of Street Rats every two weeks or so (almost always due to exile based on her inappropriate-even-for-homeless-criminals behaviour), Scarlett got by by finding practical uses for her initially personal-use-only hacks, and in doing so built up something of a reputation among crime circles. This, presumably, is how the Moderators were able to find her.

Weapons: Fingernails. Body modification hacks render other weapons mostly superfluous.

Edits also in bold on this sheet. Again good concept if a little outlandish for my tastes to some extents, worked around what I could and suggested things that would hopefully work for you.

Melodykat0 said:
Lost In The Void said:
To give you an accurate political and historical summary, I can do what I can but as with the how long question, a lot of it is going to be interpretive.
Sure. I mostly was wondering about war and whether there would have been any recently (with in players lifetimes or otherwise) and the motives behind the war if there had been one.
Also how did the "Public" idea rise to power? was it voted on etc? I'm only asking because I'm looking for some events to build into my backstory. For example I'd like my character to have a reason to be disenchanted with the public and possible awful other events to tie into my character's backstory as well.
No wars so to speak because no open conflicts really happen anymore but there have been known skirmishes between a variety of the hub cities. An example of a fairly recent skirmish [20 or so years ago] was a breakout of violence between the civilian populations of Westbank and Central [the city of the RP's setting.] While no one was killed, the basic Mod infrastructure was damaged and thus the Public's votes from that hub were unable to be counted for six months while the system recuperated. As a result the System put forward no motions so you could say politics was at a standstill for six months. It is suspected that one of the major powers of Central [that being big business, not government] was responsible for initiating the riots.

The Public system was reportedly put forward by the AI during the first year of Artificial Earth, when it became apparent that even it could not process the demands of a restless and somewhat rapidly growing population. As a result, all citizens, those 16 or older, are given a vote on all issues put forward by the System, a program designed to analyze and put forward motions based off of public whims. It is suspected it does this by accessing memories and thoughts in one's mind but this theory has been denied by those deep in the Moderator higher ups and thus unproven.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
no need for explanation on these I think, standard superhero fare
I'm assuming body mods are a constant sort of thing so they don't like overload his brain after five minutes To an extent of course, I'm thinking that super speed would be sorta of easy to manage, but super strength, well based on the strength being exerted. Not gonna be able to throw car after car or lift buildings, but a healthy moderation of usage should avoid frying his brain

a hack with basically no practical application aside from looking cool. it allows him to deal a lot of damage with a single swing of whatever he picked up to use as a sword and send a shockwave that can cleave buildings in two. too ostentatious to ever use, takes ages to prep, almost never gets used when it is set up in advance because hes fucking awful at reading how a situation will go down. also itll probably kill him. yells that hes about to do his binding blade technique a lot when hes actually just pretending Eh not a huge fan of this maybe because of its uselessness and more leaning towards comedic use but feel free to sell me on it 2bfuktwif let me know and i'll rewrite the whole thing

Blood Frenzy
actually it just sort of causes him to not feel pain for a while. he tried to write a bit about losing control and killing people but a) it was really hard and b) he realised that was a fucking stupid idea See I like this because it has an application of sorts, keeps with the character being a sorta tryhard wannabe badass. Try to keep hacks in this range or something

Personality: [removed] Expansion Tilly fine get off my fucking back MOM
Gregory Owens is a fun-loving, optimistic kind of guy, despite all his attempts to portray himself otherwise. He has a sort of bizarre charisma where you're never quite sure if you find him endearing or annoying. Underneath all the tryhard fronting, he genuinely just wants to help people, and finds the thought of injuring others distasteful. Kind of a flirt, not very good at it.

Can be forced to drop the act if you make it clear you're gonna walk the fuck away if he doesn't quit being an idiot (he gets a little stroppy about it though).

Biography: typically referred to by his last name rather than his first or the made up nickname he keeps trying to push on everyone. comes from a family of loving if exasperated parents, though you'd never hear him admit it. Stumbled across hacking methods sometime in his early teens and immediately used it to pretend to be a superhero. His character concept changed a lot until he found the perfect grimdark persona to fight crime with, and since then he sort of just stuck with it. his backstory still changes a lot though.

Has literally no reason to continue playing pretend this late out of his childhood. he made plenty of friends, was reasonably popular with girls, didn't really have anything he'd want to escape from, he just thinks his stupid bullshit is cool and figured, hey, if I can make it happen why shouldn't I?

when he's not fooling around with his shitty pretend nonsense, he actually makes a pretty good superhero. hes a decent guy and doesn't like seeing people get hurt. hes more likely to catch a criminal alive than kill him and his main focus when shit goes down is actually just to keep people safe. his strength and speed body mods tend to more often be used in rescues and the like than for violent purposes like initially planned.

Reasonably well known in his hero patrol area and pretty well beloved by anyone who doesn't have to talk to him too often. law enforcement officials that have to interact with him regularly more tolerate him than like him, but they'd undeniably be relieved if he showed up during a shootout.

Tried once or twice to establish an ex-damsel in distress as his love interest before coming to the conclusion that that is a horrible and sort of morally unsound way to meet people and most girls don't actually appreciate being hit on immediately after a dangerous and stressful situation anyway. he still sometimes makes a go if shes pretty enough and doesn't' seem to be in an emotionally compromised state. He's lucky he's handsome because christ would he ever be reviled otherwise.

I think that's basically it there's not much else that needs covering

Actually dig the backstory, like I said, if you can sttrike that healthy balance of comedy and drama I think that this could be an awesome character. Also did some basic editing because I'm a ****.

Weapons: used to carry around katanas until they broke enough times that he realised he couldn't actually afford to keep replacing them. downgraded to wooden ones for a while and now he pretty much scavenges whatever he can get on-site. hes pretty good at finding pole-like objects, though, so its fine

Notes: I'm gonna assume the ontological inertia circumvention and skin/flesh durability upgrades required to make super strength and speed viable are sort of included in the package
dying of massive brain hemorrhaging every time i sprint super fast somewhere, while hilarious, would make me pretty fucking worthless as a superhero
Edits are in bold inside the sheet. Like the basic skeleton, just need some tweaking methinks.
im thinkin in regards to BINDINGU BURAEDU owens knows exactly what hes walking himself into. like, he realises itll straight up murder him so hes saving it for a time when something needs doing enough that hes willing to put down his life as a sacrifice.

every time he preps it hes sort of really glad he doesnt end up needing to use it so like. even though hes being a silly jackass about it acting like hes ready to do the hypest shit his stomach is churning like hes about to vomit from nerves. i figured the "cleave a building in two" bit was op enough to lift it out of bullshit gag move territory but i mean we can up it if you want turn it into a real mass destruction shockwave kinda thing

several blocks decimated while his brain literally fucking explodes

not a problem solver so much as a problem ender

im not about to argue with dm though so if thats not good enough i can fuck around with it

also i put a bit more into his personality so check that out if you wanna

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Lost In The Void said:
Hold on - Did you see what I've submitted, or are you going to continue ignoring my character sheet?

I was the first to try out a character for your RP, and so far I've been pretty much overlooked.