Artificial Pancreas Passes Human Trial

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Screen-shot-2011-09-26-at-4.34.54-PM.png
Cool Story Bro
What kind of lesson is this for kids? Eat crappy food, grow up to become a cyborg.

seems legit.

~~
Also, OMFG EMP GRENADE

/immaturity

=_=

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
Hevva said:
Would you trust an algorithm with anything more complicated than regulating your heartbeat?
Not sure I see where the relationship between blood sugar and insulin is all that complex. Simple feedback control aiming to keep some variable at a particular threshold is a well studied idea, I'd trust it to do just fine with the regulatory loops in the body.

Hell, even the body's own mechanisms don't handle it perfectly - eat something highly sugary and the sudden influx into the blood can cause a flood of insulin that results in over-correction (a 'sugar crash', or just feeling hungry again sooner than if you'd consumed equal calories worth of starch). A computerised feedback controller could be tuned to reduce or eliminate that kind of overshoot.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I had Deus Ex: Human Revolution flashbacks almost immediately.

Anyway, good news for wealthy diabetics.

jprf

May 18, 2011
Emiscary said:
I had Deus Ex: Human Revolution flashbacks almost immediately.

Anyway, good news for wealthy diabetics.
Or those living in a developed country which isn't the US.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
poiumty said:
Hmm. doesn't the software need recharging? Something that works on electrical impulses can't possibly have an infinity of them stored up.
The same way they recharge pacemaker with an induction coil

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
So that $1 boot I bought from Taco Bell 10 years ago is finally paying off. I was worried for a long time. Next up, those breast cancer ribbons!

Only question remains does it plug in with SATA or Molex?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
poiumty said:
So do they last a lifetime or do they need replacement? Because we haven't taken such a great leap if we still need to do a surgery once in a while to change the batteries.

Wonder when usb ports will be developed that will allow people to charge the devices within themselves. Like, sticking out of the skin or something. That's when the real human revolution will begin.
Depending on how much energy they need, it's entirely possible to power it using the patients body heat or the like. There's a few prototypes using things like that.

If not, there's not a major problem with the batteries, to be perfectly honest. Worst case scenario, you can put the batteries right next to wherever the patient inserts the insulin, which means ready access to it without any need for surgery.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
So, do I HAVE to get diabetes if I want an artificial pancreas? Because I want one. Badly.

TehAardvark

Apr 4, 2011
Boris Goodenough said:
Eric the Orange said:
DVS BSTrD said:
What kind of lesson is this for kids? Eat crappy food, grow up to become a cyborg.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "eat bad foods to much" Diabetes is type 2. Type 1 is what this is made to treat.
This is true, but I seem to recall an article about bad diet increases the risk of type 1, although not by much.
No it can hasten the onset, but only in people that would get it at some point in their life anyway. So you're talking about, if you eat a little bit healthier you might put it off by a year at most, but you'll get it. For those not born with the symptoms immediately, most of the time it's the onset of puberty that makes it manifest.

=y

May 11, 2012
Anyone else getting Repo Men flashbacks?

Yeah, I'll just aim at trying to eat healthy and maintain my 100% organic body the best I can.

[sub]Not that I'm against lifesaving technology, I'm just not eager to do it myself.[/sub]

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
It sounds good especially if you hate injections and checking your blood glucose levels, however I'm not too sure how many people would want to have this on them:

Just to clarify, Type 1 diabetes is a genetic disorder it will usually manifest itself in the first 20 years of life and is not caused by a bad diet. This is where the beta cells in the pancreas stop producing insulin meaning sugars aren't take up by other body parts. This machine helps provide the insulin.

Type 2 diabetes is caused by a bad diet, and is where too much sugar causes your body to become insulin resistant therefore not reacting to the insulin (produced by the pancreas) as much and therefore less sugar is being taken up. The machine can do nothing for this condition, as the person's pancreas is fine and their cells are not reacting to insulin anyway.

Just in case you wanted to know.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
Kodlak said:
Where'd that picture come from? Isn't that just a regular insulin pump?
It basically is a insulin pump, however it has an onboard continuous glucometer measuring blood sugars, allowing real time control of blood sugar levels instead of at set periods. Allowing it to function pretty much like a pancreas. The whole idea is to create a system that will function without user intervention.

Also picture came from here: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-06/11/artificial-pancreas In retrospect, probably not a picture of the HHM but it will look something like this.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Just for God's sake don't outsource programming to India
I have nothing against those guys personally, but the code they write is so full of junk, that it's almost insulting.
Anyway, these are great news.
Next- try to make artificial liver.

BTW I thought Pancreas had other functions besides insulin distribution.

Jan 13, 2012
Sounds like good news to diabetics I guess (not sure how it works but sounds good).

Hopefully they work on cybernetic augmentations next!

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
blackrave said:
Just for God's sake don't outsource programming to India
I have nothing against those guys personally, but the code they write is so full of junk, that it's almost insulting.
Anyway, these are great news.
Next- try to make artificial liver.

BTW I thought Pancreas had other functions besides insulin distribution.
It does have other functions, in diabetes type 1 the pancreatic beta cells pack up, but it still able to make other hormones and pancreatic juices (tasty!).

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Pancreas today...Tommorrow a kidney...

I've been a long time believer that science will end all problems, one at a time so this just makes me smile so much.