Artist Arrested For Planting "Fake Bombs" In NY

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Artist Arrested For Planting "Fake Bombs" In NY

Plastic "I Love NY" bags have joined the motley collection of items easily mistaken for explosive ordinance.

As Brooklyn-based designer and artist, Takeshi Miyakawa, found out to his cost, when the NYPD arrested him on Saturday for "planting false bombs." According to Japanese art site, Spoon & Tamago, Miyakawa is currently being held on Rikers Island without bail and a judge has ordered he undergo a mental examination.

The pieces are a fairly cutesy example of "guerrilla art." Miayakawa hung the plastic bags, which light up thanks to an included battery-powered flashlight, from trees and lampposts around the city. He was arrested after a local called 311, the city's non-emergency services line, to ask whether he was required to take the art down. The call was forwarded to 911, and the NYPD - who, let's be honest, have a fairly valid reason for being paranoid - responded to the potential threat. After finding Miyakawa half-way up a ladder, they arrested and charged him with two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of placing a false bomb or hazardous substance in the second degree and two counts of second-degree criminal nuisance.

It's worth noting that the NYPD didn't think the art pieces were bombs, as was the case in the 2007 Boston bomb scare, where police officers mistakenly identified battery-powered Mooninites for bombs. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare] Instead, they believe that other people could mistake the art installations for bombs, potentially causing a panic. The NYPD apparently receives nearly 100 reports of bomb-like items a day.

Source: LA Times [http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-nypd-arrests-artist-for-i-love-new-york-work-20120521,0,6727115.story?track=rss]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So... if they didn't think they were bombs, what would make them think that the public would mistake them for bombs?

...Just please don't tell me that its because they light up like in movies and on TV.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
It's a bag on a pole with a flashlight in it. How is someone going to mistake that for a bomb?

On a side note, if those really were bombs, that would be pretty ironic.

=y

May 11, 2012
I don't see how it is art but maybe I'm just not arty enough. I don't see how it is a serious offense either. Well, besides maybe littering or something because eventually they'd have them taken down anyway.

100 calls a day? That's a lot.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
They say you can't arrest someone for being stupid, but apparently in this country, you can get arrested when someone else is stupid.

I feel so privileged to live in the USA, land of the free, home of the brave. You know, as long as there are none of those utterly terrifying plastic bags around.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
That is...one of the most retarded things that I have ever heard of.

And I've seen a LOT of stupid stories like this come out of New York.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
McMullen said:
They say you can't arrest someone for being stupid, but apparently in this country, you can get arrested when someone else is stupid.
Well the Police would end up being pretty redundant if that's the case.

I think the very definition of being criminal is being stupid enough to commit a crime in the first place.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
chadachada123 said:
That is...one of the most retarded things that I have ever heard of.
And I've seen a LOT of stupid stories like this come out of New York.
The terrorist fear value in New York is cranked up on 100%. Most people probably wouldn't think they were bombs, but after what has already happened in NY, I don't think the force is willing to take chances and risk someone flipping out.

Boyninja616 said:

I think the very definition of being criminal is being stupid enough to commit a crime in the first place.
Definition of criminal is just a person who has comitted a crime, nothing to do with stupidity (sometimes crime may be justified?)

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Unless it actually looks like a bomb I don't think it should be possible to be arrested for "planting a fake bomb." I think it's bad precedent to make laws for planting fake *insert item here*

In other news, Mr. Miyakawa has also been indicted on planting a fake bag of dog shit, planting a fake ballpoint pen, and planting a fake dead hobo. The bags he hung up look nothing like any of these items but that sure as fuck won't stop us from charging him for planting a fake one!

Give him a ticket for littering and move the fuck on with your lives.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
So the NYPD believe the he wasn't planting fake bombs and they charge him with "two counts of placing a false bomb or hazardous substance in the second degree"?

http://forums.omgpop.com/attachments/forum-games/24002d1336250216-break-these-riddles-first-2-break-all-them-wins-d-jackie-chan-meme-jpg

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, doing things that might confuse or frighten New Yorkers is a crime now?

What does that actually exclude?

midij19

Apr 20, 2010
this is just sad. seeing how the police is just wasting time and resources on a non-threat makes me wander if they are incompetent or simply retarded.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Boyninja616 said:
McMullen said:

That seems kind of pedantic and off-topic to me. Besides, the saying exists because many stupid actions are legal, even if they're harmful.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
McMullen said:
Boyninja616 said:
McMullen said:

That seems kind of pedantic and off-topic to me. Besides, the saying exists because many stupid actions are legal, even if they're harmful.
It's late. I forgot the internet doesn't cater for sarcasm.

I guess the only paranoid person was the operator on the 311 line who felt it necessary to forward the call to 911.

The Police didn't care and, frankly, the public wouldn't have either.

Let's face it: If you're going to put a bomb somewhere, you aren't going to put it atop a lamppost, are you?

Anyway, I though Darwinism existed for the legal stupidity.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
thaluikhain said:
So, doing things that might confuse or frighten New Yorkers is a crime now?

What does that actually exclude?
The irony is that supposedly New Yorkers are supposed to Just Not Give A Fuck. This incident makes it look like all it takes to make them run away with their tail between their legs is a plastic bag and a light. This arrest is kind of insulting to New Yorkers, as I see it. Same way Boston has a permanent stink of cowardice about it after that nite-brite campaign.

I wish that there were some reason to believe Americans were as courageous as we like to say we are, but all the evidence indicates that the only reason we haven't crawled under our beds is because we've wet them so hard that we'd drown if we were that low to the floor.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
what terrorist is stupid enough to place bombs in bright plastic bags in places that are easily spotted?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
midij19 said:
this is just sad. seeing how the police is just wasting time and resources on a non-threat makes me wander if they are incompetent or simply retarded.
The police are legally obliged to respond to ANY call, regardless of possibility.

OT: Artist gets crazy idea, artist DOES crazy idea, turns out crazy idea is illegal, artist gets arrested. Pretty open and shut case if you ask me.

captcha: Oh brother.

Amen sister, amen.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Blablahb said:
Sounds like the police dispatcher and officers involved are in more need of a mental examination than the guy they arrested.
See below.
Rainboq said:
midij19 said:
The police are legally obliged to respond to ANY call, regardless of possibility.