Artist Brings D&D Memories to Life With User-Driven Webcomics

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Artist Brings D&D Memories to Life With User-Driven Webcomics

Webcomic creator Andy Stuart has launched a new series dedicated to illustrating gamers' most beloved memories from Dungeons & Dragons.

Anyone who's played <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tabletop>tabletop RPGs for any extended period of time most likely has an entire mental collection of favorite moments. Sometimes they'll be big things like delivering the finishing blow that takes down a difficult boss monster. Other times they'll be smaller; a spontaneous moment or against the odds occurrence that left you amazed or in stitches. Playing interesting characters and partaking in epic adventures might be the initial draw of games like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/galleryoftheday/14015-8-Awesome-D-D-Modules>Dungeons & Dragons, but it's the little things like that often keep people coming back.

Recognizing that, cartoonist Andy Stuart recently launched a new project aimed at immortalizing players' favorite moments from Dungeons & Dragons. Toward this end he launched a new Tumblr where he posts prompts to solicit stories and then uses his skills to turn them into <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/webcomic>short webcomics. The response, he told The Escapist, has been tremendous. "This project is very new," he said. "I've done a little over ten of them so far, but my inbox currently has about 1,500 messages in it. The engagement with this idea is way beyond anything I've ever done in the past." Not that he's surprised about that. "D&D is a collaborative storytelling game, and no other genre of gaming creates the kind of unique, incredibly creative and hilarious stories that tabletop gaming does."

Inspired by the response he's received so far, Stuart hopes to expand on the project going forward. "Right now it's supported by Elf and Warrior.
[gallery=4391]
Source: Your D&D Stories

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
that was freaking HI-LAR-IOUS! reminds me of my old forgotten realms days, though i never played Eberron so im not sure about the magical bottomless sack unless it was a ball sack joke.

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
Really funny, I'll check out the tumblrs next. I'm a bit sad that I haven't had the chance to play D&D in real life yet but my time will come.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, reminds me of a time me and some friends were playing...I forget the official title of the game line, but it was the Book of 5 Rings setting, d20 system.

We were a group of various samurai, except for one of our players, who made a barbarian. He made the race be the short race from that setting. I forget their names as well, but they were like 3 feet tall, slim. He made him a barb, who used a longsword like a two-hander. The best part about all of it, was the fact that the player, is one of those very quiet, slow to consider and act kind of rules lawyer types. But with this character, he decided to toss all that out of the window. I remember several times, in a scene, when the GM would describe what was going on, and he would sit there, stroking his beard, contemplating. Then he would go "I'm thinking this too much. Fek would do this!" and he would have him do something very impulsive and usually violent. It was great, because it took us into some awesome encounters. One of which was a saki drinking gambling den, where he (the character) got drunk while getting into fights with the other patrons. A fight that got interrupted by a group of ninjas that attacked us. This annoyed Fek, because it interrupted his night's entertainment. It was a blast to play, and very refreshing to have that player step out of his comfort zone so freely, and embrace it so well.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This needs to branch out to Shadowrun, World of Darkness, and (good god) EXALTED!

Make it happen, world.

And ummm...suppose I have submissions to the pot? Then what?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I really, really want to see what this guy would do when given access to the legendary story of Old Man Henderson [http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson].

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I like this. I used to draw cartoons of our D&D games back in the late 1980's. I met up with my brother and our high school DM a couple months ago to play some board games near where we all grew up. The DM had a stack of my cartoons that he had held onto for 30 years. Tons of fond memories in there! It was weird how the cartoons made it easy to instantly recall all of the different characters, quests and context of each setup/punchline.

And then this guy comes along and makes my cartoons look like shit. Thanks life for pointing out how I failed at my goal to become a decent cartoonist.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
FalloutJack said:
This needs to branch out to Shadowrun, World of Darkness, and (good god) EXALTED!

Make it happen, world.

And ummm...suppose I have submissions to the pot? Then what?
Well I submitted a good Shadowrun story to him, so maybe I'll get the moment I dropped a friend down an elevator shaft immortalized on the internet forever.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
KefkaCultist said:
FalloutJack said:
It says in an ask [http://yourdndstories.tumblr.com/post/119878077013/can-we-send-you-stories-from-other-tabletop-rpgs] that he'll take any stories. So submit away!

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
lol i remember the first time I saw this guys work i laughed my butt off

(it was this video)

Andy Stuart

Jul 8, 2015
Hi! I'm Andy. I read all your nice comments and decided to make an account to say THANK YOU.

I absolutely accept stories from any RPG system. And Clankenbeard, don't feel bad, buddy. :( Just keep rolling 'til you hit that Natural 20 Cartooning check.