Artists worst album.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
ToMegaTherion said:
Eat me, Drink me by Marilyin Manson. Dear good... Look, I like some of the depressive songs by Manson, but a whole album of whining about a girl is to much. It's just boring and depressing
Amen to this! I actually liked one song off the album but I can't remember or be arsed to look it up, damn Heart Shaped Glasses was a load of cock!
I was underwhelmed by the album after Eat Me etc Kinda Manson by the numbers

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
ToMegaTherion said:
Eat me, Drink me by Marilyin Manson. Dear good... Look, I like some of the depressive songs by Manson, but a whole album of whining about a girl is to much. It's just boring and depressing
Amen to this! I actually liked one song off the album but I can't remember or be arsed to look it up, damn Heart Shaped Glasses was a load of cock!

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
ToMegaTherion said:

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
KissmahArceus said:
ToMegaTherion said:
KissmahArceus said:
ToMegaTherion said:
KissmahArceus said:
ToMegaTherion said:

KissmahArceus said:
ToMegaTherion said:
KissmahArceus said:
ToMegaTherion said:
Okay, I'll believe that you made 2 double posts, or 3, or maybe even 4, but 5? How bad do you have to screw up with the reply form to do that?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Deadmau5 vs Melleefresh At Play.

God awful electronic with sexual lyrics made only to pander to the highest and drunkest club goers. I'm glad that even he regrets doing the damn thing. Beats are alright but those lyrics man.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
My work PC is mental, all I did was refresh the screen after it froze. Oops, I don't see anyway to delete them myself, and I don't think copying all 5 posts was necessary.

It's nice that you would believe I could make 4 posts in error though. If you knew me IRL you'd believe it if it had happened 19 times, I kinda suck :)

Captcha: Long Division.
Do your own homework

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Nazulu said:
Oh no, we better not annoy you. Stop being sensitive. It's not like you're being judged.

The thing about having a story to the album is it has to be good if it's to catch peoples attention, so it obviously it hasn't got the greatest appeal. The main problem isn't people focusing on the "story and feel" of the album however, but that they have changed their style so much that of course it's going to leave previous fans out of the loop. And not only that but the melody's are really weak compared to their previous albums. This style is nothing unique, nothing clever, and especially not more grown-up (I still can't believe you said that).

Can you really blame fans from the previous Linkin Park albums that they want something similar to their original style? Remember, most of us are only interested in certain things, just like you and your story's.

By the way, albums don't have to be a fucking story! Music is entertainment remember, it doesn't have to connect to be great. That's only your personal preferance, so drop it. "An artistic statement they should be", as soon as you throw any shoulds in, you're automatically wrong by default. If there is to be any shoulds, it's that the artist 'should' be allowed to be as creative as they damn well want. This is also followed by people 'should' be allowed to criticise them however they damn well want.

If you like their new style, good for you, but don't expect everyone to listen to it as an "an artistic statement" (when you say stuff like this, it makes the whole art subject look bad) if they can only enjoy some of the songs.
Oh don't worry, you can keep annoying me if you want. There's a world of difference between "annoyed" and "offended". That particular viewpoint, though? Always annoys me whenever it comes up. What do you call that, a "pet peeve"? It's one of the few things I am capable of getting passionate about on the internet, and it looks like this time, that overrode my usual "sigh, and live and let live" policy.

//RANT MODE ACTIVATED

I suppose I'm just bitter that my absolute favourite kind of music has been scarce since well before I was born - I blame the "Punk Revolution" for that. Then when Linkin Park, of all bands, releases a well thought-out and coherent concept album that's one of the best art albums I've heard... of course, half the fanbase very vocally hates it, screaming "CHANGE BACK! CHANGE BAAAACK!" because it didn't have enough "awesome" guitar riffs or sing-along choruses for them to mosh to. To me it seems like the same kind of issue as with other media - you get the types who only enjoy action movies with lots of explosions, and the types that will only read romance novels, but music seems to be the only medium where people actually act proud - and occasionally snooty, though thankfully not here - about these tastes. I'm well aware this makes me an insufferable elitist, but... I hate that.

So the melodies are (in your opinion) weaker than on their other albums - so what? What if they weren't going for melody? Why should a band have to go for melodic content? And by the way, I'm not just interested in stories - I on't know where I you got that from, because while I like music that tells a story, I also like songs/albums with melody, songs/albums that evoke some sort of emotional reaction, songs/albums (usually albums in this case) that can transport me to another world, etc. What most annoys me is that melodies and the occasional emotional reaction are what people define as "good music" nowadays without a second glance, and are loudly unwilling to accept any other form. So of course, when a mainstream band releases an album that isn't meant to specifically be either of those, people dismiss it as "pretentious" (god, I hate that term - it's so misused) and "dull" and just straight "bad music" without considering it further.

I suppose Cracked.com was right - popular music does have less variety in this age. We've gone from the 70s, where bands like Mike Oldfield and Pink Floyd can reach number 1 alongside bands like Led Zeppelin and Wings, to now where only bands like the last two are considered valid (save for the odd outlier album, of course, like Kid A). And sure, some of my favourite bands are catchy and melodic pop bands from today, but I so wish people would voluntarily exercise thought about the music they consume and accept other kinds too.

//RANT MODE DEACTIVATED

tl;dr People don't like what I like and this fact makes me feel first annoyed, then just sort of sad and depressed. I suppose one day I'll move into grudging acceptance. Maybe you can help me with that.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
DugMachine said:

God awful electronic with sexual lyrics made only to pander to the highest and drunkest club goers. I'm glad that even he regrets doing the damn thing. Beats are alright but those lyrics man.
It's actually probably my favorite, but I don't disagree with you. It gives me a little laugh whenever I hear it, and the beats are still good enough for me to groove to it. Of course I'm also a huge fan of the movie Hudson Hawk, so there's that.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Benpasko said:
DugMachine said:

It's actually probably my favorite, but I don't disagree with you. It gives me a little laugh whenever I hear it, and the beats are still good enough for me to groove to it. Of course I'm also a huge fan of the movie Hudson Hawk, so there's that.
Oh good music on it for sure. Definitely gets me dancing but I cringe every time I hear that woman's irrtitating voice saying she wants to fuck me or whatever. My favorite is probably For Lack of A Better name.

Really digging his newest album atm. Interesting to say the least.

Vegetunks9000

Sep 20, 2011
Morbid Angel - illud divinum insanus

This album was just horrendous compared to the earlier albums. Massive fan backlash to

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
I am a pretty big fan of Yes. Yes is one of those bands that put out a ton of albums, but only about 5 or 6 were any good (even most fans agree with this assessment). I haven't heard all of their albums so I can't say which one is definitively the worst, but Drama is pretty damn bad. Jon Anderson was not in the band on that album, and Trevor Horn seemed to think he could sing just as high as Anderson (a male alto, btw). He could not, and it shows. He's noticeably flat like 90% of the time.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I listen to a shit tonne of music yet rarely listen to a bands entire discography more than once, I see no reason to listen to a bands inferior albums more than once and stick to the classics really.

However one of the biggest examples I have noticed of a band going to shit is Muse, they started off really well and got better with Origin of Symmetry but after that they got progressively worse.

My rank for each in chronological Order:

Showbiz: 7.5/10
Origin of Symmetry: 8/10
Absolution: 7/10
Black Holes and Revelations: 5/10
The Resistance: 3/5
The 2nd Law: 1.5/10

They are probably the best example of a good band that got worse over time, either them or Metallica at least.

Also I just want to say on an unrelated note that a severely under-rated album is The Division Bell by Pink Floyd, this album gets alot of hate but in my opinion is consistently above average throughout with some stunning tracks (Marooned and High Hopes are two of my favourite Floyd tracks!), it is not a very memorable listen or exciting for the most part but the writing is still really good.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
I missed the Open door. Derp. I am classing Anywhere but home as a separate album, because the lineup is different. no guitarist or extra keyboardist. I really love their latest album and the spin off bands Machina and we are the fallen.
I don't think the open door is bad just not as good as fallen, whereas I don't like anywhere but home. "missing" and "thoughtless" are great songs off the album though
Oh, OK, I see your point. It does have a different lineup, and I'm not disagreeing with you. Out of the albums they've released, I would say its the weakest, purely because it is (sort of) a re-release, and I'm one of those mad, sick people who thinks that live music is nowhere near as good as studio produced music.

On a more personal note, I would not be able to say which of Evanescence's albums I... like least. I was very sceptical about Fallen when released (I was all 'oh, its just another emo metal band, yawn.' because I'm extremely judgemental like that), but I gave it a chance, and enjoyed it. I loved the Open Door (it is stylistically very different, and yet still very Evanescence) and I love the new album too. If anything, I would probably say Fallen (not 'worst' so much as 'least good') but thats only because its like, ten years old now, and I prefer the style they've evolved to.

But that voice... Oh dear god that voice...

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Varitel said:
I am a pretty big fan of Yes. Yes is one of those bands that put out a ton of albums, but only about 5 or 6 were any good (even most fans agree with this assessment). I haven't heard all of their albums so I can't say which one is definitively the worst, but Drama is pretty damn bad. Jon Anderson was not in the band on that album, and Trevor Horn seemed to think he could sing just as high as Anderson (a male alto, btw). He could not, and it shows. He's noticeably flat like 90% of the time.
Agree with this as well, Yes are a severely overrated band although their good albums are all classics, their bad albums however are really REALLY bad which is made worse when it takes up almost all of their albums since the 80's (although 90125 is a really under-rated album, mainly because it is hated for not being prog enough). Only around 8 out 18 of their studio albums are good, the rest suck.

And Drama is actually one of the better ones compared to their later stuff, Machine Messiah is a great track but Into the Lens ("I am a camera, camera, camera") is soooooooooo bad it is not funny.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Loonyyy said:
I just got "Living Things" by Linkin Park, and I actively despise it. I haven't heard Thousand Suns yet, so I'll reserve judgement as for "Worst". There's like two tracks on there I didn't hate, but I'm not interested in playing it again just to find them.

It manages:

-Crappy dubstep backing. The backing just sucks. It's an annoying dubstep-y distortion sound thing, that just annoys the shit out of me.
-Crappy lyrics. I mean, come on. They're picking out every one of the standard sort of things they say. It's completely unoriginal. Half of the stuff sounds like they're repeating what they've said before, but with crappier imagery.
-It's really, really, really juvenile. "Lies Greed Misery" is dreadful. It's whiny, there's no real progression to the vocals, it's just Chester screaming because they figure that's what he does, the tempo abruptly changes for no reason for the chorus, and it's just senselessly stupid and violent sounding.

I think they should have stuck with at least the vestiges of their old sound. Oh well, I'm not exactly thirsting for more of their original stuff anyway. And hey, I'm sure someone out there wants whinier lamer versions of Linkin Park lyrics on dubstep. They're welcome to it.

Also, Grinspoon's "Black Rabbits" is just bland. They completely moved away from the harder stuff they've done, into a bunch of samey-sounding tracks.

EDIT: Though this post appeared right after Vault's, it's not intended to disagree with her. Post delay.
There's absolutely no dubstep on Living Things, but apart from that I agree with you. By far their worst album and I never particularly liked them anyway. It's so stale and insipid. A Thousand Suns is actually their best imo.

GY!BE: Their new one, Allelujah! Don't Bend ! Ascend!, but it's still brilliant (2nd favourite album of the year so far, that just goes to show how good and underrated a band they are).

The Weeknd: Echoes of Silence. Again, weakest of his trilogy of mixtapes but still very good. They're all on a similar level anyway.

Brand New: Your Favorite Weapon. Was their debut, very pop-punky and had a few good spots but the style they progressed towards afterwards was a stunning improvement.

Burial: His self titled debut. King of dubstep. Counting his EPs here but this album is just a collection of tracks and as has been shown since, Burial's electronic/ambient soundscapes work best as cohesive units. Again, a few good tracks, but as a whole it doesn't touch the classic that is Untrue, or even the brilliant Street Halo and Kindred, neither of which are far off Untrue (and actually, I prefer the general style he moved towards with longer and deeper tracks).

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009

No wait

Nonono wait a minute, wait minute

OH GOD MY FUCKING EYES!!!

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
The Rascal King said:

No wait

Nonono wait a minute, wait minute

OH GOD MY FUCKING EYES!!!
I've only heard their first self titled album and that was brilliant. Can these be so bad?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
OlasDAlmighty said:
A Momentary Lapse in Reason is my pick for the worst Pink Floyd Album. Without Roger Waters they just went to shit.

For Led Zeppelin it's definitely In Through the Out Door.
I like A Momentary Lapse in Reason! Learning to Fly is one of my favourites! It's not as good as Division Bell, but I still like it! The one I could never get into was Atom Heart Mother... tried many a time, but can't do it!

OT: For the Clash, for me it is Sandinista. The whole album just screams of quantity over quality... and then learning that it was all made in a space of about a month confirmed that!

Infected Mushroom, I couldn't get on with BP empire... It didn't feel as fresh and new as all those that came after... but also wasn't anywhere near as good as their original 2 psytrance albums! Although after hearing U R so Fucked when they previewed it on FB I kinda went off them... so haven't heard the new one... will get round to it, when the feeling of being butthurt is over! :p

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
rosac said:
Keane- perfect symmetry, It just didn't click with me as much as the previous albums. I haven't heard the new album though, but the singles make me hopeful.
I've not kept up with Keane after Under The Iron Sea failed to live up to Hopes And Fears.
Didn't realize they've got five albums out already.... Guess I'll have to look into that.

The Shins' first two albums are awesome. The new one, Port Of Morrow, is great too, but not quite as good.
Haven't heard the third one yet, so, the newest is the weakest I know of.