AS/A2 exams

Penzance Pirate

May 10, 2009
So anyone else in the UK doing AS or A2 exams at the moment.

I just had my general studies exam yesterday and it was absolutely terrible. They split it inot a 2 hour exam then a seperate 1 hour exam BUT they made us leave the room for 5 minutes for some reason, so 15-20 minutes were wasted waiting for everyone to come back in.

The questions in it were awful aswell, the first question was name three features of the creative process for a painting, sculpture, photograph and musical score. The following questions were equally bad aswell.

So is anyone else taking them or about to?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Yes I've had my computing exams this week which I think went quite well but you can never be entirely sure. I have another 5 exams still to go unfortunately.

Penzance Pirate

May 10, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
Yes I've had my computing exams this week which I think went quite well but you can never be entirely sure. I have another 5 exams still to go unfortunately.
Well hopefully you did well:)

I hav 10 exams in total so your actually quite lucky :(

CaptainREBell

Feb 11, 2009
6 more exams to go. Had my general studies exam on Monday, and I didn't think I did particularly badly seeing as I never had any lessons.
It always goes better than you think it does :)
Good luck in the rest of yours! You'll do fine, just take a quick look for examiner's tips on the exam board website. That's my technique :D

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
I have all my A2 exams left to go, although they start with chemistry practical next tuesday...
I have always had a massive gripe with the way the exams dont test the subject, they test your exam technique

Poketom

Apr 14, 2009
Gah. Don't get me started my last exam is tomorrow, that's right a Saturday! I had so many exam clashes I have to take one on a Saturday. ¬.¬ This also meant I spent the entire day isolated, on my own, I couldn't talk to anyone because I could just ask them the answers. This week sucked so bad...

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
MY GOD are they horrible. I had an english/ICT clash so we basically spent 2 hours doing english, 2 hours stuck in the hall revising, and then another 2 hours before we finished the bloody thing.

freakyHippo

Jun 12, 2008
Ah the old AS/A2 exams. I was part of the first year that they tried AS levels out on. It was a complete clusterfuck. Our teachers often said they hadn't recieved a sillabus(sp?) for the year so they were just gonna teach us the old A-Level Curriculumn and hope there was enough cross-over for us to do well (fortunatly they did recieve a proper sillabus and were able to patch the gaps in our knowledge before the first set of exams in janurary). Also they totally messed up the exam scheduling. I had two German exams which clashed with two Physics exams. In the end i spent 7 hours doing exams that day...and i was one of the lucky ones. I knew some people that had 9 hours worth of exams in one day. They had to go and spend the night in a teachers house before completing the exams in the morning.

There was also the marking scandle in History coursework with OCR...

...ah the good old days. Hope its improved some.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
I still remember the final exams of my...High school? Gymnasium?... whatever. I was 18 at the time. during two weeks I had 6 exams. Each and every exam lasted between 3-6 hours. (You weren't allowed to leave before 3 hours were full and were ordered to leave once 6 hours were full). The longest one I did was my math exam, full 6 hours (minus 10 minutes for eating the packed luch they gave us). Though the math was the harder exam of the two (during your studies you chose which exam you wanted to take and took the math classes accordingly) Second longest was my english exam: 5 hours. But it paid off. My scores were in the top 15% of those subjects, nationwide.

But these two weeks... Oh, university tests are killing me. almost 25 hours of exams during the last 10 working days. And it's repeated about 3 more times every year: four semester a year, exams at the end of every semester.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Ah I have a few, one on Monday actually, but I'm still off to a party tonight. I shall try to revise over the weekend though.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Yes, I had a 3 hour long Computing AS exam this morning. Didn't even involve using a computer. My whole class finished within an hour and a half, and they wouldn't allow us to leave. Joy. It was somewhat easy for my friends and I though, all being on the technology side of life.

Hobo Of Hell

Jul 2, 2008
had an ICT applied exam which was more like a business studies exam from GCSE, this morning, dead easy.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Penzance Pirate said:
So anyone else in the UK doing AS or A2 exams at the moment.
yes, many, many people are taking them. (sorry had to be said)
and i'm one of them. i had an AS english resit and AS psychology exam today, and I have 3 more exams to do, 2 A2 english exams and my A2 law. fun times :|

Satki

Dec 29, 2007
If your going to Uni, you'll look back on A-levels/GCSE's much more favourably, trust me... from the second to the 12th I have 6 3 hour exams, 2 pairs on the same day, including saturdays...

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
I wanted to do General Studies and Computers during my Sixth-form years as O levels (way back when), but they wouldn't let me take them, forcing me to study Mathematics and Physics A levels. I should have left... calculus turned my brain to mush and I never got to grips with centripetal/centrifugal force.

What did you answer for the whole Painting, Photography, Sculpture thing... because I went off with my primary qualification that I actually needed in A level Art to do Foundation and then Fine Art (which is basically all of the above). This is because there weren't any courses in computer graphics, or game design back then in the UK.

Penzance Pirate

May 10, 2009
Uncompetative said:
What did you answer for the whole Painting, Photography, Sculpture thing... because I went off with my primary qualification that I actually needed in A level Art to do Foundation and then Fine Art (which is basically all of the above). This is because there weren't any courses in computer graphics, or game design back then in the UK.
Well as I didn't take art and im not really that creative, I just started waffling about dedication,time and inspiration. Not all of the questions were on art though, there were some on transport, fashion and organ donation among others.

In my opinion I think it was a waste of time because universities dont even look at it(I think).