As I watched the video I began to cry

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
It has some people from the God of War II development team on it and is coming out of the studio who made Dead Space and the art design from what has been shown so far is pretty neat.

So I'm intrigued even if it is likely stomping all over fine literature. I'll read some Dostevsky for penance afterward.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
TheNecroswanson said:
However, I have not yet read The Divine Comedy. So, I'm going to have to go pick up a copy.
Normally I'd try to dissuade you, but, apparently conflicting opinions become arguments here. So, I'll just advise against it.

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Trailers have this general notion of "Lets look completly awsome even if it dosen't apply to the original material." So, on that note, this trailer looks completly awsome, but the game is inevitably, as stated before, going to be a God of War clone. I expect him to be lead into a trap by the dead woman shown and/or do things completly awsome you cannot do yourself. Betting places quick time events at 99.3572%.

Consistence

Feb 1, 2009
Hydrus said:
Consistence said:
yes and then once they are done with this they can start their Romeo and Juliet game as well (begins to shudder at the prospect)
Hark, what lens flare from yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and juliet is the sun/ cuts to boss fight??

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
EA can't actually be serious? I'm just assuming they are basing it on some abstracted, action oriented take on the whole thing... if not...

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Well, although I expect it to be crap it does have one advantage that means I will get it. Its on PC... <.< Have always wanted God of War for the PC.

Consistence said:
Hydrus said:
Hark, what lens flare from yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and juliet is the sun/ cuts to boss fight??
And you just know that when you commit suicide it will be a quick time event. Press X to overcome common sense and just get over it.
Since you have to die anyway, the point of the game should be to have the most romantic and teenage angst-filled death possible.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
TheNecroswanson said:
There's got to be some artistic merit to it hasn't there?
Artistic? God no. At the time it had some heavy political satire, and it's not terribly written in the least, but the story seems very detatched (like it knew it was just trying to be satire) and the narrative is dull and just keeps getting duller and duller.
I think it's only relevant today because of the fantasy and relegious aspects of the story... and by relevant I mean "it matters to EXTREME literature nerds and students who were forced to read it".

In terms of artistic merit I'd compare it to an Oliver Stone film... only MORE boring (if that's possible).

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
It is going to suck horribly, for details I don't have the energy to go over again. I did write an extensive rant on it, though.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I...I don't even understand how you can make a game out of that. Like, if it was Myst-esque, maybe. But an action game? What the f-

That's all I got to say, man:

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
TheNecroswanson said:
Perfect. The more dull the book the better time I have reading it and building imagery around it ^_^.
...did you miss the rest of my post? About the poor narrative? The way it's presented?
It's a boring book because it doesn't give you enough to build on. You just read it and comprehend.

Oh, whatever. Apparently alot of people like it, I hope you can.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Can't wait to see how this goes. It'll either be a hit or completely mediocre....

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I've not read any of Dante's work, but classic literature just isn't something you make a movie/video game/graphic novel(Yes, I've seen that) of. The classic literature, no matter how crappy, good, epic, etc. it is, needs to stay as it is: Classic literature.

All that said, the trailer was pretty freaking awesome...Although I'm going against my own argument, I'll probably end up picking up a copy.

theklng

May 1, 2008
devil may cry was inspired by dante's inferno, so why not this? apart from his choice of weapons, there might be some potential for a god of war style game.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
GDW, I'm gonna go ahead and assume you read it and didn't like it? As opposed to just carrying the views and opinions of another person about it around as your own?

If so then, you didn't like it. That is NO reason to say everyone else won't.

I personally loved it. But then again I don't have any friends on the forums yet so maybe I'm just a retard.