Ask a military guy...

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure how many of us there are on this forum ( I think seven? ) but whenever a military/Related thread has come up a few people have asked questions to see no answers.

I know when I was applying, I was trying to find out everything I could - even when I was considering joining ( Just natural right? ) I wanted to know everything I could. So i will try and give you my opinion and advice.

Just to state, being a member of the British Armed Forces, I can not give detailed answers on other Countries Military but I can give generalised answers that may apply. Another point is PERSEC. Some questions, I may be unable to answer DIRECTLY but I will try my best. Hopefully, any other serving or retired personnel can add their knowledge in too!

So, good people of The escapist what do you wish to know?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I have heard that war is long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of pure terror.

How accurate is that?

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
What are your feelings on the actions in Libya and would you be for/against being sent in to assist the rebels?

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
I have heard that war is long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of pure terror. How accurate is that?
Well, I was deployed for a little over two weeks. Currently sitting out a two month medical leave.

I can tell you I was nervous going over, but your mates really are amazing. As soon as you start talking to them it's alright.

As for when you arrive. It depends. For the most part your on base, cleaning and making sure your kits sorted, going on patrol and pulling sentry. For the most part it is largely boring. The action I saw ( The whole 60 seconds ) Involved a flurry of Mortar rounds and lots of dust. i was scared, anyone who says otherwise is a liar but training takes over. It really is second nature after your training.

How accurate is that?
dkyros said:
What are your feelings on the actions in Libya and would you be for/against being sent in to assist the rebels?
My personal opinion? I don't think we should go. Reasons? We're too stretched. That doesn't mean no one should help but for the most part, our armed forces are having enough trouble with all the cuts.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Kalezian said:
Dectomax said:

Im trying to join the United States Army [Marines already Disqualified me on medical grounds], while the medical conditions for joining between the British armed forces and the American Army are more than likely to be different, would having a history of epilepsy automatically disqualify a person interested in joining, regardless if nearly a decade has passed since their last seizure?

and what would be the requirements for a foreign born person to join the British Armed Forces?
Epilepsy/Seizures - 5 years must have passed without incident to be considered Fit.

For The British Armed Forces, you must be a member of the Commonwealth or have been a British Citizen for 5 years.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Woodsey said:
How much racism is there, specifically towards Afghans/Arabs?
It's hard to say specifically. Most of our lads really like the local population. We play football and cricket with the kids and they think it's great. The people are amazing aswell. They help you out and they pass on alot of information.

Hatred towards the Taliban on the other hand is quite extreme in some cases. Though for the most part it's just to give us something to talk about.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
What do you guys think of the TA? Considering joining them once I enter employment.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Do the Royal Marines Commandos really come out of the woodwork like in the advert? I can never tell if that's been edited to hide them or they just really are that good.

More seriously, if I were to consider applying for some sort of engineer job (I do physics so it's probably closest to my skill set) would I need to already know the basic workings of a tank/helicopter/long range gun/plane (depending on where specifically I applied) or do they take you right from square one?

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Kalezian said:
Dectomax said:
Kalezian said:
Dectomax said:

Im trying to join the United States Army [Marines already Disqualified me on medical grounds], while the medical conditions for joining between the British armed forces and the American Army are more than likely to be different, would having a history of epilepsy automatically disqualify a person interested in joining, regardless if nearly a decade has passed since their last seizure?

and what would be the requirements for a foreign born person to join the British Armed Forces?
Epilepsy/Seizures - 5 years must have passed without incident to be considered Fit.

For The British Armed Forces, you must be a member of the Commonwealth or have been a British Citizen for 5 years.

Now I just need to move to England, but I dont want to wait until Im 27 to join.

Thanks for the answer, the Army here is waiting for me to get clearance from a doctor saying I no longer have seizures.
Maximum age is 32, you've got a lot of spare time!

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
WrongSprite said:
What do you guys think of the TA? Considering joining them once I enter employment.
There are a few jokes passed about them. weekend warriors being a common term. though we still respect them, as we do all of our brothers and sisters in the forces.

dadanman

Feb 14, 2009
Kortney said:
Could you give a man a lethal blow?
YES!,but with the aid of a rifle. I am currently a Green Belt in the Marine Corps marshal Arts program and No sadly I have not yet learned the five finger death punch. They have taught me to plant my boot on the back side of your skull, (while you were on the ground or bend over of course, you try to be Jet li with 100+ pounds of combat gear) will definitely do the trick.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Zantos said:
Do the Royal Marines Commandos really come out of the woodwork like in the advert? I can never tell if that's been edited to hide them or they just really are that good.

More seriously, if I were to consider applying for some sort of engineer job (I do physics so it's probably closest to my skill set) would I need to already know the basic workings of a tank/helicopter/long range gun/plane (depending on where specifically I applied) or do they take you right from square one?
It's a little bit over done in the advert ( what do you expect? ) but, it's pretty close.

The Engineers have a wide range of roles and whilst no working knowledge of the vehicles is specifically required, it might make your time easier. But they will take you from square one. They'll teach you everything you need to know and once Phase 1 training is complete, you have a number of specialities you can train in.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
dadanman said:
Kortney said:
YES!,but with the aid of a rifle. I am currently a Green Belt in the Marine Corps marshal Arts program and No sadly I have not yet learned the five finger death punch. They have taught me to plant my boot on the back side of your skull, (while you were on the ground or bend over of course, you try to be Jet li with 100+ pounds of combat gear) will definitely do the trick.
Nice, but what if he was coming really hard? Would it be easy to get him off of you if he was filled with adrenaline?

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
dadanman said:
Kortney said:
This. haha