Ask a Physicist!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Slenn said:
Extremely interesting. So...

{1} Here's the article [http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4675] that the Escapist was linked to when this space peanut was reported. As you can see, it's a two-lobed hunk of rock. Given what it does indeed take to form planets and asteroids, I admit befuddlement at seeing a formation like this outside of science fiction. How does this sort of thing occur?

{2} So, tell me if this is a fitting analogy to see if I understand right. The energy behind the wave or force of Event One - dark energy - is still present and exerting force, in the equivalent manner that an object has made ripples in a pond, BUT an equivalent matter with a gravitational 'friction' to exert on its surroundings - dark matter - is akin to the forces involved in gradually reducing the ripples to nothing when in water, thus preventing the ripple from going on forever while there is still yet movement in the 'water', which is space in general Am I close to an understanding here?

{3} I am indeed thinking it's too thick, pretty much on the grounds that I know these two places to be cold and generally unmarred by external forces, much as our permafrost areas of Earth have densely-packed and difficult to break through layers of ice. There is, of course, technology to break through. It's just that packing it on with a probe that lands on the planet or moon may require it to be a smaller model that takes a LONG time to break through. Funding is indeed always the problem, but even worse is needing the right tool and maybe not having it. Even still, the other question in there is unanswered. There may be a sealed environment down there under the ice that has never seen air or unfiltered (if any) light. What effect might opening it up have on such an environment?

{4} Could you explain about anti-matter being just another matter? I was under the impression that it was referred to as anti-matter because its material does not occur within this matter area for reasons of its sudden annihilation when in contact with matter. To wit, isn't it not matter by any definition because it it cannot exist in congruity with matter? I have studied and read a great deal on the nature of elements and chemical bonds, knowing that there are a number of elements and masses which occur only temporarily due to pressure or atomic change on their way to a more stable form of matter, but...as I understood it, the anti-matter we have made is a form OF our matter with an opposing charge that burns out in contact with its local version in close proximity. I'm not aware of it being a rarified material that occurs in nature (albeit briefly). Could you shed some light on that at all?

{5} To quote the reaction of a recent Shadowrun Returns chatacter, "Well. Umm. Shit.". I didn't expect that one.

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
Something that bothers me: How do I reconcile the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle with things that support the Coopenhaagen interpretation, like time dilation, electron wavelength breakdown and the double slit experiment?

What do you think of the E.M. Drive and the upcoming head transplant operation: Do you think they could be the first steps towards interstellar travel, time travel or such transplants becoming common?

Is it true that black holes do not suck in matter, they are surrounded by heavy particles which disintegrate it? Assuming this is true, do you think the theory that they are the boundaries of the universe is correct?

How much do we know about atomic bonds? I know that the mechanics are quite unique and obtuse, giving factors like double bonding, sharing between atoms, the inability of atoms to exist outside of energy levels, etc.

You do not have to dumb this down too much, as my father was a scientist so I have some familiarity with the ideas.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Frezzato said:
Suppose there are two people at opposite ends of a rotating cylindrical section in a space station that is, oh, 100 feet in diameter. This section is meant to provide artificial gravity, far from the earth's pull, generating the equivalent of 1G. What do you think would happen to a baseball as it is thrown from one person to the other, across the empty gap in the rotating section? I'm not talking about just velocity, but would the ball travel in a straight path or would the other person already be past the initial point of aim?
We had a much similar thought experiment done in our classical mechanics class.

There's two fictitious forces that need to be addressed here. One is the centrifugal force, and the other is the Coriolis force.

The centrifugal force arises when an object takes a curved path around a point. For an object to follow a curved path, there needs to be a force that's present to keep the object traveling in a circular path. In a salad spinner, it's the force of the mesh that's holding the lettuce in place. We call this the "normal" force, or the force that's created in response to pushing against a surface. The reason why the lettuce is pushing against the mesh in the first place is because their inertia wants to resist the force that's keeping it in circular motion. That, and there is some initial friction to keep the lettuce in place.

The catch with the ball in a space station scenario is that the artificial gravity only exists for an object that's traveling in a circular path. For the humans that are fixed to the ground, their inertia is pushing them against the wall of the space station. And the friction of their shoes helps with that as well. But as soon as the ball leaves the hand, there's nothing that's keeping it moving in a circular path. So it won't follow the expected arcing path that is seen in normal gravity on Earth.

The Coriolis force arises when an object is moving across a rotating object, such as the air moving across the rotating Earth. However, this can only arise in the space station scenario if the ball was thrown some degree upwards. If it was thrown horizontally, the ball won't feel any deflection.

I do hope this helps!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I'm studying to be a physicist myself so my question is this, If you had any tips for undergraduates trying to enter the field, what would they be?

Also, what's your opinion on the irrefutable mess of maths that is String Theory (or M theory if you prefer it)?

EDIT:
Slenn said:
Asita said:
The Hindu religion is one of the only religions that we know of that subscribes to the idea of a cycling universe. They noticed that the seasons change following a yearly cycle. So they postulated that the universe will cycle through creation and death. And I like that idea. I also like to think that the universe will stop expanding at some point reaching the maximum entropy possible and somehow there's something magical that brings it all back together again. Sort of like Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question", which is a read any science fiction fan should dive into, because it goes into the fate of entropy and power consumption.

In Hollywood, we've actually seen both sound and no sound in space. Like 2001 Space Odyssey. I personally really like Star Wars and the scope of the movies. The point of the movies isn't supposed to be a scientifically accurate setting. It's supposed to convey drama. The others you mentioned don't really bother me either. What is a red line for me is when the story attempts to give an accurate explanation for what's going on, but ends up not doing so well. The more something to the right balance of explanation to imagination, the better. We don't want the audience to be left in the dark, but we don't to make a fool of ourselves.
Didn't the Norse religions also have something like a cycling universe with every one being destroyed by Ragnarok and then reborn afterwards?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I'm not quite sure I understand how the speed of light works (or how apparently noting can exceed the speed of light)

If two cars are travelling in convoy at 100mph and the car behind switches its headlights on, is the light that is emitted travelling faster than the speed of light, i.e. is the light that is being emitted and reflecting off the car in front travelling at the 'speed of light'+100mph?

What about if a spaceship is travelling at the speed of light and the spaceman switches on the spaceship's space headlights (or shines a torch out of the window), what happens? How fast is the light, which is being emitted from something already travelling at the speed of light, going?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Can you make a medical X-ray machine based around interaction free measurements, allowing doctors to take X-ray pictures without any rays actually hitting the patient?

http://physics.illinois.edu/people/kwiat/interaction-free-measurements.asp

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
FalloutJack said:
{1} Here's the article [http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4675] that the Escapist was linked to when this space peanut was reported. As you can see, it's a two-lobed hunk of rock. Given what it does indeed take to form planets and asteroids, I admit befuddlement at seeing a formation like this outside of science fiction. How does this sort of thing occur?
Now, I'm not entirely sure, but here's my hypothesis: During a collision in outer space, it's not uncommon for things to get hot to the point of melting. The asteroid in question could be something leftover from a collision on a planet long ago during the formation of the solar system. Perhaps it was ejected molted slag kicked off of some planet and somehow the way it was spinning could have given this odd blob shape that looks like a peanut as it cooled down. Sort of like how if you were to spray water and freeze it quickly.

{2} So, tell me if this is a fitting analogy to see if I understand right. The energy behind the wave or force of Event One - dark energy - is still present and exerting force, in the equivalent manner that an object has made ripples in a pond, BUT an equivalent matter with a gravitational 'friction' to exert on its surroundings - dark matter - is akin to the forces involved in gradually reducing the ripples to nothing when in water, thus preventing the ripple from going on forever while there is still yet movement in the 'water', which is space in general Am I close to an understanding here?
Hmmmm.... I've never heard of this interpretation of this, but I do follow. If we consider the center of the universe to be the point at which the dark energy would propagate outwards like a wave, then the analogy works.

The catch with dark matter is that it's just mass, so it will only interact gravitationally. We don't really know the connection, if any, between dark matter and dark energy. They are only names given to mysterious items that we have yet to probe more deeply. I wouldn't really call it "friction" as that implies that there's something in the way that's slowing Dark Matter down. The question for the scientists is that is there enough mass to exert enough gravity on fleeting galaxies to pull them back in. We estimate that there's going to be dark matter that's attracted to the masses of galaxies. But we don't know if there's huge clouds of dark matter that are hovering in the void. That and the fact that gravitational effects propagate outward at a finite speed, namely the speed of light, also falls into this question.

{3} I am indeed thinking it's too thick, pretty much on the grounds that I know these two places to be cold and generally unmarred by external forces, much as our permafrost areas of Earth have densely-packed and difficult to break through layers of ice. There is, of course, technology to break through. It's just that packing it on with a probe that lands on the planet or moon may require it to be a smaller model that takes a LONG time to break through. Funding is indeed always the problem, but even worse is needing the right tool and maybe not having it. Even still, the other question in there is unanswered. There may be a sealed environment down there under the ice that has never seen air or unfiltered (if any) light. What effect might opening it up have on such an environment?
One solution that might be implemented would be to measure the variations of gravity around the moon or planet. This was done with the Magellan space probe around Venus, which used fluctuations in its accelerometer to figure out the gravitational tug. This in turn could tell scientists how thick the crust of Venus was without having to drill anything.

Your question is a tough one to answer because we only know of one biology. From our experience we might estimate that if life was underneath the surface, it might be present in layers that aren't too thick, allowing for the atmosphere to mix in with the fluid beneath. Another possibility is that the ice could house cryophiles, which are organisms that thrive in cold environments. Such organisms can be found on Earth as well.

{4} Could you explain about anti-matter being just another matter? I was under the impression that it was referred to as anti-matter because its material does not occur within this matter area for reasons of its sudden annihilation when in contact with matter. To wit, isn't it not matter by any definition because it it cannot exist in congruity with matter? I have studied and read a great deal on the nature of elements and chemical bonds, knowing that there are a number of elements and masses which occur only temporarily due to pressure or atomic change on their way to a more stable form of matter, but...as I understood it, the anti-matter we have made is a form OF our matter with an opposing charge that burns out in contact with its local version in close proximity. I'm not aware of it being a rarified material that occurs in nature (albeit briefly). Could you shed some light on that at all?
When the Dirac equation was first introduced by combining special relativity with quantum mechanics, out popped two solutions. One solution was for a particle of matter, and the other for anti-matter. This was first prediction that suggested a mirror twin particle for every particle that we know. We labeled them as "anti-matter", because of their annihilation effects as well as the solutions to the Dirac equation. But now that label has been called into question. One of the largest questions that physicists have been wanting to answer is "If creation of matter implies an equal amount of anti-matter, why don't we see an equal amount of antimatter in the universe?" We just now might have an answer to that. What's been found is that certain anti-particles don't exhibit mirror-like properties of their matter counterparts. This is what's known as CP-Violation (Charge Parity Violation), which is a property of the weak nuclear force. It might just be the "imperfect twin."

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Vague but oddly specific question: What say you to the recent attempts at injecting more realistic physics into films? Notably Interstellar.

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
vallorn said:
I'm studying to be a physicist myself so my question is this, If you had any tips for undergraduates trying to enter the field, what would they be?
First, awesome! We need more scientists!
If you're truly headstrong into physics, you're probably going to be doing research at some point as an assistant to a professor. If you're doing particle physics or nuclear physics there's going to be some level of computer programming that you'll want to learn. If you have extra credits you want to fill in during your early years as an undergrad, I would use some of them for computer programming classes. Or if you have some extra time available to you, you could probably take part in a job that uses computer programming. Another good piece of advice is to find a physics club. The one in my undergrad was really healthy and had nice chemistry between each other. You'll need that human element in order to live through undergrad. Other than that, I would suggest to just plug away and keep pushing until you're done.

Also, what's your opinion on the irrefutable mess of maths that is String Theory (or M theory if you prefer it)?
As for string theory. It's untestable at this point, but it's not irrelevant. Like any hypothesis, we can't dispute it if there's no data that suggests so. All we can do at this point is to work our way towards the energy necessary to test it.

Didn't the Norse religions also have something like a cycling universe with every one being destroyed by Ragnarok and then reborn afterwards?
Ragnarok, if I recall correctly, wasn't about a cycling universe. It was about the end and rebirth of the world. I bring up the Hindu religion because it still exists and it encompasses the entire universe, not just the world itself.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Does energy ever disappear, or does it just always convert into smaller forms like I think I learned at school? I don't want to alarm you here, but the answer to that question does play a somewhat important part to my worldview.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Slenn said:
Once more unto the snip...
{1} That's very interesting and I had not thought of that.

{2} I used the word friction because I just couldn't think of the right word TO use. I do know that dark matter would only exert a gravitational force only, it's just that - it being a rather dense matter - it exerts a fair bit of it in comparison to other materials. I do know that certain areas are denser, though it is unknown as to the precise reason they have done so, only that in the case of spiraling systems that they form around them like this one. The speed of light, though... If we're getting into that, I have seen of course that forces do appear to act upon it. By the same token that black holes draw light and everything else towards it, lesser effects on smaller scales should also exist, though the black hole is clearly the high-end extreme of this effect. Where that leads us, I cannot tell.

{3} Yes, that method would make sense, and I agree that the question of a foreign life environment IS hard to consider when it could be...well...completely alien to us. Nevertheless, we believe there could be life based upon there being signs of water-ice. If the presence of water-ice were an indicator that life that requires water to live could be underneath it, we have a rough theory that lifeforms in there may be foreign, but along lines we can account for, perhaps. I was only asking on such a basis. If the ice is thick enough that the outside has NOT mingled in, it would be terrible to think that doing so could corrupt an environment we are trying to study. Right now, they are Schroedinger's iceballs, with all the inherent problems therein.

{4} Two thoughts emerge on the "Why aren't they here?" anti-matter conundrum. Either they can't be here normally because anti-materials only find themselves in interaction with our matter on rare occasions of upset space (occasions which match the LHC's operations to a T, perhaps) and thus are apart of some other existence's material by nature, OR that the sum total of anti-matter in this universe was expended in the same manner of a sun's total fuel going up and the body achieving supernova, or in two words: Big Bang. Now, I have heard that unlike science fiction, opposing particle annihilation does not produce as much force as it would in our stories, but that would be under marginal laboratory conditions with tiny amounts (which is safe, at least). It may not account for the possibility of an exponential upsurge involving more and more to react in a chain effect. That's one of those things we really shouldn't test on this planet, though, to be safe. So, either it was always here and it immediately went up because that's what it apparently does, or it was never normally here and the occasions involve strange and rare events in space...I think. Any thoughts?

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
retsupurae yahtsee said:
Something that bothers me: How do I reconcile the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle with things that support the Copenhagen interpretation, like time dilation, electron wavelength breakdown and the double slit experiment?
I would say that the prediction of the Higgs-Boson is based off of principles that are well ingrained into quantum mechanics, namely the Copenhagen interpretation. Could you nail down specifically what's bothering you about it?

What do you think of the E.M. Drive and the upcoming head transplant operation: Do you think they could be the first steps towards interstellar travel, time travel or such transplants becoming common?
Non-chemical ways of creating thrust have been the desire for rocket scientists for a long time. I love seeing new inventions and how they're implemented. They could be the first steps towards such travel. But the distances in interstellar travel will probably be covered by some other method that's much different than an EM drive. Time travel is so unknown that it might require an understanding that's beyond our human minds. And I do think that in perhaps 50 years, we'll see some of the coolest improvements to prosthetics and replacement organs.

Is it true that black holes do not suck in matter, they are surrounded by heavy particles which disintegrate it? Assuming this is true, do you think the theory that they are the boundaries of the universe is correct?
They pull in matter. My estimation is that the disintegration doesn't effect the pull of the objects that are already falling in. It is a romantic idea that black holes are portals to other parts of the universe or another universe. I think it's a nice idea to explore, since we all love exploring time travel and space travel. This idea was explored in Carl Sagan's book "Contact" and the movie "Interstellar." No doubt that time and space become stretched to critical points. Some people postulate that at the point of diving into the singularity you would see all of time and space simultaneously.

How much do we know about atomic bonds? I know that the mechanics are quite unique and obtuse, giving factors like double bonding, sharing between atoms, the inability of atoms to exist outside of energy levels, etc.
Quite a lot actually. The quantum mechanics involved can describe the shape of the electron clouds that are present. We've explored it pretty thoroughly inside and out. One thing you could read up on is condensed matter physics. That where the real unknowns are for physics at the molecular scale. There they explore things like creating better superconductors as well as nanoparticles.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Halla Burrica said:
Does energy ever disappear, or does it just always convert into smaller forms like I think I learned at school? I don't want to alarm you here, but the answer to that question does play a somewhat important part to my worldview.
I can answer that one, "Energy is never created nor destroyed but merely changes form one form to the other" is the classic quote but there are some nuances.

For example, consider what Entropy is, it's disorder in a system. If you perform any change of energy from one form to another some is wasted or is used for the change itself. This excess energy is lost to the environment often as heat which increases the entropy of the system since you have less energy that you can use than you did at the start and the rest is now dissipated through the surroundings. This wasted heat then increases the system's disorder.

Another is the classic equation "E=MC^2" What this equation says is that matter is energy and energy is matter and both can be converted from one to the other. This is used in Nuclear Fusion and Fission to convert mass to energy and in particle accelerators to convert energy into mass.

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
Jamash said:
I'm not quite sure I understand how the speed of light works (or how apparently noting can exceed the speed of light)

If two cars are traveling in convoy at 100mph and the car behind switches its headlights on, is the light that is emitted traveling faster than the speed of light, i.e. is the light that is being emitted and reflecting off the car in front traveling at the 'speed of light'+100mph?

What about if a spaceship is traveling at the speed of light and the spaceman switches on the spaceship's space headlights (or shines a torch out of the window), what happens? How fast is the light, which is being emitted from something already traveling at the speed of light, going?
That's a good question and it nails down one of the fundamentals of special relativity.

The answer is the speed of light is the same no matter what reference frame you're looking at. If we sent out a laser beam into space and tried to have a race against it with a rocket that moved at half the speed of light, we would still measure the laser beam's speed as the speed of light. The consequence of this is that time must dilate for objects moving close to the speed of light.

The other question is much harder to answer. We don't really know what would happen because we don't know what would be the mechanism that would allow material objects to move at the speed of light. My estimation is that perhaps the warpdrive on the spaceship allows for its lights to shine at the speed of light. Or perhaps, due to some new insight in later research, that it would be futile to turn on the headlights and the light wouldn't move at all. Maybe it would yield a new way of studying light by trapping it.

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Vague but oddly specific question: What say you to the recent attempts at injecting more realistic physics into films? Notably Interstellar.
I think it's pretty neat that they're doing so. I mentioned before in this thread that as long as the writers understand that the audience is composed of intelligent people, they won't want to make themselves look like fools. Throwing in physics jargon to make the script sound smarter doesn't make it enriching.

And for the record, I liked Interstellar, but I thought it was too long.
Halla Burrica said:
Energy can be converted back into matter. Most recently there have been experiments done with colliding photons together and out pops an electron-positron pair. But you're talking about violations in energy conservation. I do think that if we ever do observe energy vanishing beyond any of our instruments could detect, then we'll have a new mystery on our hands. But at present, there isn't any experiment that shows that energy somehow vanishes. And if it does vanish, it usually is in a spot that we haven't looked in yet. It converts from one form to another.

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
Bad Jim said:
Can you make a medical X-ray machine based around interaction free measurements, allowing doctors to take X-ray pictures without any rays actually hitting the patient?

http://physics.illinois.edu/people/kwiat/interaction-free-measurements.asp
It seems pretty absolute. What it depends on is information from the target without anything hitting it. That may be pretty hard to achieve since there are wavelengths of light that will not penetrate the skin.

All I can say is, perhaps. We might be surprised.

inu-kun said:
Won't you need something along the lines of infinite energy to achieve light speed?
Again, we might be surprised. Some scientists think that that may be the case. Achieving light speed may use some invisible mechanism that we've yet to discover.

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
I've got a few questions for the time being, I just hope that I can word them in the correct way...

1) So vallorn has answered this question already... sort of.
vallorn said:
For example, consider what Entropy is, it's disorder in a system. If you perform any change of energy from one form to another some is wasted or is used for the change itself. This excess energy is lost to the environment often as heat which increases the entropy of the system since you have less energy that you can use than you did at the start and the rest is now dissipated through the surroundings. This wasted heat then increases the system's disorder.
That still leaves me wondering, what exactly happens to the energy? If I move my arm for example then I have to use some energy to do it. Since energy can't be destroyed then I would presume that it can't be simply "used up", it has to persist in some form or another. Is it all converted into heat after performing the action or does it also change into some other form? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding this?

2) So, listening to scientists talking about physics, I sometimes got the impression that physics doesn't necessarily seek to describe the universe "as it is", but rather construct a model that would resemble reality as closely as possible and could make accurate predictions. If my impression is right, would this be related to Kant's idea that you can't know a thing "in itself"?

Sep 13, 2009
Okay, one subject that I've always seen presented in seemingly contradictory ways is Quantum Entanglement. The main question I have is, what exactly is it? I've heard people saying both very fantastical and very mundane things about it. On the fantastical side I've heard that certain changes to one particle will immediately affect the other. On the mundane side I've heard that it's just a way of "synchronizing" two particles together such that their spins or something like that are the same. So that if you measure the spin of one cloud of entangled particles, you instantly know what it is in the other cloud. Kind of like writing the same messages on two slips of paper and giving them to two different people. This seems far too mundane though, because Einstein described Quantum Entanglement as "Spooky action at a distance", and that hardly seems spooky.

Any clarification on this would be great!

Slenn

Nov 19, 2009
FalloutJack said:
{4} Two thoughts emerge on the "Why aren't they here?" anti-matter conundrum. Either they can't be here normally because anti-materials only find themselves in interaction with our matter on rare occasions of upset space (occasions which match the LHC's operations to a T, perhaps) and thus are apart of some other existence's material by nature, OR that the sum total of anti-matter in this universe was expended in the same manner of a sun's total fuel going up and the body achieving supernova, or in two words: Big Bang. Now, I have heard that unlike science fiction, opposing particle annihilation does not produce as much force as it would in our stories, but that would be under marginal laboratory conditions with tiny amounts (which is safe, at least). It may not account for the possibility of an exponential upsurge involving more and more to react in a chain effect. That's one of those things we really shouldn't test on this planet, though, to be safe. So, either it was always here and it immediately went up because that's what it apparently does, or it was never normally here and the occasions involve strange and rare events in space...I think. Any thoughts?
Some food for thought is this:
Upon the prediction of antimatter with the Dirac equation had some interesting implications. The solution to the equation had a positive energy corresponding to the matter. But the anti-matter had an equal but negative energy. The explanation for this was that perhaps anti-matter experiences the flow of time backwards.

One idea might be that the anti-matter is moving in the opposite direction of the matter upon the creation of the universe. But the universe doesn't exhibit that property based on what we know from the cosmic microwave background; It's expanding outwards in all directions.

The Big Bang couldn't be the result of the matter anti-matter annihilation, since the idea of the big bang is the creation of matter. Maybe you were referring to the idea that upon the big bang going off, the anti-matter soon reacts with the matter and turns into energy.