Ask a US Airman Anything

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
AMA's seem to be kind of a thing so in the spirit of that I would like to start my own, because look at me and stuff!

I am an A1C in the US Air Guard which is the state level reserve component of the US Air Force (which also has a federal level reserve as well). We are obligated to the country when called so we do participate in rotations to active duty locations to perform our duties. We are also obligated to obey the Governor of the state we are based out of which means we are activated for fighting wild fires or other tasks at the state level when required. We work closely with Army National Guard members in a lot of our state level tasks.

I have been in full time for about a year now and I love it. So if anyone here has questions or has considered volunteering for service.

Oh also, I will not shy from hard questions but you should probably know that as an E-3 yelling at me to change things at national level is like ordering a Wal-Mart greeter to fire the CEO. I will make the changes I can as I advance within the system.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Bear with me here.

So, I know that the navy has a program for the refurbishment of old submarines to return to active use. Does the air force take those airfields full of outdated planes and retool them for furture use as well?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Er, obvious ones first, what is it that you actually do, spend most of the time doing, are trained to do, and would do in case of an emergency?

And, I guess, how do you feel about similar ranked people in other branches of the US military?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
What do you feel is the biggest challenge USAF has to face at this time within it's organisation?

Have you served with anyone from other nation's forces?

How do you see USAF's contribution to international coalitions, and do you think it can be increased?

If you could be in any other Air Force in the world, which would it be?

Do you feel that the US E1-9 system means there are too many ranks, resulting in ranks being devalued due to having no extra responsibility to those directly below them? Do you think that having less, more defined ranks at the enlisted level would create a more stable rank structure and give ranks more meaning when you promote to them?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Bear with me here.

So, I know that the navy has a program for the refurbishment of old submarines to return to active use. Does the air force take those airfields full of outdated planes and retool them for furture use as well?
We have a boneyard in Arizona but as far as I know it is used like a scrap yard for spare parts as opposed to planes to eventually be refurbished. We are switching planes so a lot of the old stuff is going to be gone and forgotten in the next ten years.

In an emergency deployment I would grab my bolt bag, head to the airport and be in theatre ASAP to work as a maintainer on deployed aircraft. In a state emergency I would report to my home base and do the same thing on aircraft being used. I could theoretically be used for basic muscle loading planes or guarding the gate with an M-16 if there was a shortage of Security personnel but that's not very likely.
thaluikhain said:
Er, obvious ones first, what is it that you actually do, spend most of the time doing, are trained to do, and would do in case of an emergency?

And, I guess, how do you feel about similar ranked people in other branches of the US military?
I started as a sheet metal maintainer, I control corrosion, paint, decals and also patch and repair skin and the other structural parts of the plane (longerons, bulkheads, stringers, etc.) Lot's of cracks on older planes and stressed areas from flight. I still do that as a full time job during the week as a federal technician. Now on drill I am being allowed to work as a Chaplain's Assistant which will probably continue for a few more months, I will probably go back to maintaining on drill weekends once the financial year ends.

Other people of similar ranks are just fine by me. I went to Tech school on a Navy base so I was surrounded by Sailors and Marines for months and most of them are fine. I will say most of the Marines seemed to think the AF is weak and unnecessary but they were Boot Marines which means they have never been in a Combat situation where close air support saved them. They come out of boot camp thinking they are invincible, once they are in a few engagements they comprehend the reality of what we do for them. The Gunnery Sergeants running the show for them were very respectful.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Treeinthewoods said:
I started as a sheet metal maintainer, I control corrosion, paint, decals and also patch and repair skin and the other structural parts of the plane (longerons, bulkheads, stringers, etc.) Lot's of cracks on older planes and stressed areas from flight. I still do that as a full time job during the week as a federal technician. Now on drill I am being allowed to work as a Chaplain's Assistant which will probably continue for a few more months, I will probably go back to maintaining on drill weekends once the financial year ends.
Do those skills transfer well to civilian occupations once you leave the military?

Oh, also, do you get angry at movies and TV shows depicting the military incorrectly (or in a negative light)? So veyr many times where the extras have terrible muzzle and trigger discipline.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Are you documenting your injuries and illnesses by going on sick call? If not, *pimp slaps you upside the head* DO IT!

This isn't really a question so much as me doing my usual with anyone who states they are either on active duty, or in the guard/reserves. When you are on active deployment, or active service directly, go on fucking sick call!!! I work with my state VA office, helping vets file for claims, and the #1 thing that prevents vets from getting their benefits, is the vet themselves. They try to be all tough and gung ho, and "walk it off", and they don't report shit, and then when they get out, and years of wear and tear aggravate a service injury (that never got documented), they can't get benefits because there is no record. Do NOT just suck it up and walk it off. Report it, get it documented. The years you give your government to put whatever wear and tear they won't on you body is finite, but you have to live with those injuries for the rest of your life, and it's likely going to be a long life. So don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
What do you feel is the biggest challenge USAF has to face at this time within it's organisation?

Have you served with anyone from other nation's forces?

How do you see USAF's contribution to international coalitions, and do you think it can be increased?

If you could be in any other Air Force in the world, which would it be?

Do you feel that the US E1-9 system means there are too many ranks, resulting in ranks being devalued due to having no extra responsibility to those directly below them? Do you think that having less, more defined ranks at the enlisted level would create a more stable rank structure and give ranks more meaning when you promote to them?
Social change and budget restraints. The USAF is leading the way in breaking gender barriers and sexuality issues but it has not been painless. My BMT squadron commander was recently slandered in a Ted Cruz campaign video by a disgruntled Sergeant who had a "religious objection" to her sexuality. But overall the AF is very inclusive and the penalties for discrimination are harsh and have been applied. A lot of the old ways are dying this generation for sure.

Lower budgets are a blessing and a curse for the Guard. The Guard used to be how you avoided deployment in war time during Vietnam but that has changed. We accomplish missions for a lot less money than active duty squadrons do. Of course there is also the constant struggle to stay relevant with some Guard bases around the nation being constantly down sized. Being average is not the way to stay safe from the accountants today.

Actively served with, no. I did train with some sailors from Egypt for a week during tech school, they were polite but we couldn't really communicate and they kept us separate outside of class.

Our mission statement is to fly, fight and win in air, space and cyberspace. That is what we do in coalition warfare. I believe our space and cyberspace components are going to become massively more important than our bombers and fighters in the next ten years. A virus can do what carpet bombing can do for a fraction of the cost sometimes. Our Intel work is also going to become ever more important as we continue to fight asymmetrical wars against imbeded resistance.

We are also the trump card, the ultimate deterrent because we have the ICBM's. Yes the Navy has submarines but we have the rest. The AF has the capability to end the planet, it keeps hostile nations from wanting to utilize their nuclear weapons against us (I am sure you have heard of mutual annihilation.)

Our contributions are significant but on the battlefield we are a smaller part. Army and Marine units will have a Tac-P or Combat Controller attached, this Airman will coordinate close air support skr air strikes and engage hostiles with conventional means. Our other special forces component is the Para jumpers who are a special ops rescue team, they get called in to evacuate special ops teams from any branch as well as downed pilots. Of course the flight crews and aircraft maintainers like me do our part to ensure the US owns the skies over any area we choose to engage as well, that has been such a prevalent thing that it almost seems to be taken for granted these days.

I would not be in any other countries armed forces, period. If I had to switch I would go to active duty air force or (if pressed super hard) the US Navy.

The rank system seems okay but it I a bit diluted. E-1 and E-2 barely exist in the active duty air force and reserves and are non existent in the Air Guard. Enlisting for six years instead of four means even without college you receive E-3 after tech school, since I have a degree I was classed as an E-3 from the day I started basic training. Very few people are enlisting in active duty for only four years now since the benefits of the advanced rank are so awesome.

If it was to be updated I would say they could remove E-1 (Airman Basic) since it only lasts for six months time in service anyway. That would make me an E-2 though, so nobody wants it, lol.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Treeinthewoods said:
Do those skills transfer well to civilian occupations once you leave the military?

Oh, also, do you get angry at movies and TV shows depicting the military incorrectly (or in a negative light)? So veyr many times where the extras have terrible muzzle and trigger discipline.
Pretty well, there are a lot of sheet metal companies in the US that make a whole lot of stuff from shelving to duct work. I could also very easily work on cars or boats doing similar work if I want to. It's not flawless but job options are out there. One of my instructors at tech school actually work for Space X doing structural assembly for years and made killer money. If you line working with your hands and like a little more creative license to solve problems this is a great job.

Hell, I saw some work from an artist who works in sheet metal and he is basically just using the skills I have to make art instead of planes. I even saw some really high end desks made the same way.

As for the movies, it just makes me laugh instead of get angry. My wife took me to see Aloha which has a girl character in the AF who just walks around all day outside with no cover on. That was funny.

The muzzle control is also pretty funny, I would have been ripped apart during basic or anywhere else if I pulled some of the stupid things I see.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Are you documenting your injuries and illnesses by going on sick call? If not, *pimp slaps you upside the head* DO IT!

This isn't really a question so much as me doing my usual with anyone who states they are either on active duty, or in the guard/reserves. When you are on active deployment, or active service directly, go on fucking sick call!!! I work with my state VA office, helping vets file for claims, and the #1 thing that prevents vets from getting their benefits, is the vet themselves. They try to be all tough and gung ho, and "walk it off", and they don't report shit, and then when they get out, and years of wear and tear aggravate a service injury (that never got documented), they can't get benefits because there is no record. Do NOT just suck it up and walk it off. Report it, get it documented. The years you give your government to put whatever wear and tear they won't on you body is finite, but you have to live with those injuries for the rest of your life, and it's likely going to be a long life. So don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Well, blessedly I so far 100% healthy but when I have been sick or things like that I always go on sick call. I am very aware of how critical it is to track you health to ensure that you get what is owed to you if injury does occur. Sad but necessary so thanks for the great advice.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Treeinthewoods said:
As for the movies, it just makes me laugh instead of get angry. My wife took me to see Aloha which has a girl character in the AF who just walks around all day outside with no cover on. That was funny.

The muzzle control is also pretty funny, I would have been ripped apart during basic or anywhere else if I pulled some of the stupid things I see.
Former Army M1A2 Abrams crewman here...

I'm right there with you on muzzle control and no cover while outdoors... If anything most movies dealing with the military supposedly have former service people as consultants, you'd think that they would catch this shit. Its quite hilarious to me as well but I do get a few nervous tics seeing minor details being totally missed by movies and TV alike.

I almost went into the AF myself but the Army had a better signing bonus. I know you boys and gals in the AF get a lot of flak from us ground pounders and probably the squiddies too about your BCT being so short (ChAir Force is probably a term you've heard a lot), I do want to know though what your basic experience was like. If I remember correctly, granted this was 12 years ago, AF basic was only 6 weeks whereas my experience was not your average BCT but rather OSUT of 15 weeks for tank training, is it still short?

C_sector

Jan 7, 2010
How frequently do you hear of other airmen accidentally(..or not so accidentally) bombing funerals, schools and hospitals in 3rd world muslim countries?

Realistically, you cant expect that all pilots will follow the rules when they are up there flying do you?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Is the USAF ever going to something about its code base. The CH-47 and the C-17 have both not been cleared under safety rules by other nations due issues with the flight software and the the same question is been asked about the F-22. The only aircraft which hasn't been questioned is the F-35 which is joint development with the UK. In short is the USAF ever going to give Boeing the kick up teh backside they need to fix the key issues

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Which military games in your area of expertise tick you off the least/are actually fairly good representations of the real deal? If there aren't any, would you be interested in seeing one?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I recently got out of the Navy and worked as a Navy Recruiter not too long before getting out. Our office was right next to the Air Force office and I got to know the AF recruiters a little while working there(it pays to build good relationships with the other branches, especially to find out if someone is trying to play the the offices against each other).

Anyway, based on your knowledge, do you feel the Air Force has reasonable advancement or does it seem to grind to a halt the higher up you go because everyone stays in until retirement? I understand that certain AFS(I believe that's the term the Air Force uses vice MOS/Rating) will be overcrowded/understaffed, but in general. Related to this, do you feel that staffing levels are in a generally good place? And did you feel you actually had a choice what job you signed up for when you joined? It felt like our recruits were pretty limited in what they could choose at MEPS, even with high ASVAB scores. There were certain special jobs like Nuclear Engineering and Special Forces that were always open, but only 10% of recruits ever had a shot due to the strict criteria.

Seeing the Navy side, our force levels have been pretty schizophrenic for the last couple years. A lot of people were pretty much forced out because someone in Washington decided we had too many people, basically looked for excuses to force them out(a lot of people who wanted to stay in, BTW) and then they realized they cut way too many, and we(recruiting) were scrambling to find more people to cover that mistake. Needless to say, a lot of people who were forced out were quite angry. Add to that a frantic realization that there were thousands of unfilled spots in the fleet and the higher ups were begging people to go back to sea, even offering cash incentives to either cut their shore duty short or stay on the ship for a longer period of time.

I hope you guys aren't going through the same problems with lack of foresight.

Captcha: Flat tire. Nice one.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
As someone who is up for the rated board, 2-3 weeks till I find out(wish me luck). Whats the enlisted members views on officers, mostly of the O1-O3 rank. Granted I can't imagine as rated if I'd really be over any enlisted since your either flying with another officer or sitting at Creech with a sensor operator. When I went to MEPS for a medical pre screen(just to apply for rated board) all the newly enlisted guys from the branches were very much in awe of me almost, probably most were scared 18 year olds who just latched onto the one calm adult who wasn't yelling lol. Do enlisted guys hate the new lieutenants and captains or is it just meh officers who cares.

Also do you get position envy? Knowing I'll be probably be 18x career path a CSO or ABM is killing me cause I have a pilots license and the GPA 3.51 but I still have next to no shot at UPT cause they might take 50 people a year outside of the academy. Everytime I see a plane rolling and hear that APU screaming on startup it hurts lol.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
How many times does NORAD enter the discussion on the basic level of defense? Curious to hear this from an American because the common perception, at least here on the West Coast, is that 'they have our backs'.

Also any details about any ground training they provide alongside your specialization would be interesting.

I'm assuming you're not stationed in the state of Washington, otherwise you'd likely be out there assisting the fire fighting effort in some way. That Stickpin fire is no joke, we're legitimately concerned it'll cross the border.

Lastly, seeing you talk about the nuclear deterrent being under your organizations general authority (speaking broadly here), I recently re-watched John Oliver [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g] talk about the current state of the arsenal. What are your thoughts and the thoughts of your compatriots about that issue?

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
Are the Star Fox games the best fictional flight sim out there or what?

Did School Days need more airmen and women or what?

What's the best joke you heard on the field so far?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
How hard was boot for the AF? Im wondering because I am getting into shape to possibly get in the USAF and I wonder if they have hell week type stuff towards the end.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Treeinthewoods said:

Former Army M1A2 Abrams crewman here...

I'm right there with you on muzzle control and no cover while outdoors... If anything most movies dealing with the military supposedly have former service people as consultants, you'd think that they would catch this shit. Its quite hilarious to me as well but I do get a few nervous tics seeing minor details being totally missed by movies and TV alike.

I almost went into the AF myself but the Army had a better signing bonus. I know you boys and gals in the AF get a lot of flak from us ground pounders and probably the squiddies too about your BCT being so short (ChAir Force is probably a term you've heard a lot), I do want to know though what your basic experience was like. If I remember correctly, granted this was 12 years ago, AF basic was only 6 weeks whereas my experience was not your average BCT but rather OSUT of 15 weeks for tank training, is it still short?
Darks63 said:
How hard was boot for the AF? Im wondering because I am getting into shape to possibly get in the USAF and I wonder if they have hell week type stuff towards the end.
Basic Training was 8 weeks long, it was pretty tough but the physical requirements were not that high compared to the Army or the Marines. We run a 1.5 mile and do pushups and situps for 1 minute each to determine if we pass. Physical requirements just to pass are pretty generous as well. If you can run on your own for 30 minutes straight (not even all that fast) and also do at least 40 pushups and 50 situps when you arrive you will cruise through, if you are in worse shape you will struggle but they will get you there. You will do three PT tests, on the second week, one the fourth week and the final is week seven.

The shittiest part is not falling asleep in the boring ass classes and the Texas heat in the summer. The TI's are very hard on everyone, especially the first week but it gets steadily easier as we progress. From what I gather from guys who served in other branches our training is academically tougher but physically easier. And yeah, I guess it was pretty stressful but I made some really good friends by the end. I wouldn't want to do it again though.

C_sector said:
How frequently do you hear of other airmen accidentally(..or not so accidentally) bombing funerals, schools and hospitals in 3rd world muslim countries?

Realistically, you cant expect that all pilots will follow the rules when they are up there flying do you?
Accidentally I am sure it has happened, mistakes always happen in war. That doesn't excuse it though, and there is always a through investigation when something like that occurs. If it was a preventable equipment malfunction the maintainer who worked it is screwed, if it was a pilot error he is screwed, if it is something like a Tac-P calling his strike location wrong he is screwed. Mistakes are always punished.

As to a pilot deliberately deciding to blow up a church, funeral or school... no. I don't believe it and if it does or did happen that pilot would be dangling on the end of a noose. I fully expect every member of my team to follow all the rules all the time, I can't cut corners in my job or I might kill a pilot, I demand the same from my team mates. If someone in the AF did do that I would be extremely angry with them, want them kicked out and punished to the highest degree.

albino boo said:
Is the USAF ever going to something about its code base. The CH-47 and the C-17 have both not been cleared under safety rules by other nations due issues with the flight software and the the same question is been asked about the F-22. The only aircraft which hasn't been questioned is the F-35 which is joint development with the UK. In short is the USAF ever going to give Boeing the kick up teh backside they need to fix the key issues
They have been isntalling software upgrades on older C-130's, I don't know about other air frames but honestly that kind of upgrade always rolls out damn slowly. We still fly the shit out of C-17's though so obviously this issue isn't really slowing us down.

freaper said:
Which military games in your area of expertise tick you off the least/are actually fairly good representations of the real deal? If there aren't any, would you be interested in seeing one?
Nothing really, I guess if I had to say something I might observe that the AC-130 in Call of Duty rains just about as much hell as a spooky can do in the real world. Actually I would say the spooky is scarier in reality than it seems in the game.

Any truly realistic Air Force game would be the most dull thing in the world, even as a pilot thrills like games provide are few and far between.